Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On at WhitetailCrabs

White Oak

5 year old buck +
Looks like WhitetailCrabs is shaking things up and adding 11 new varieties for 2024 !. It still says "Sold Out" at the moment , BUT they should be available to purchase any day now. They also have a new pricing structure ( Like Blue Hill ) Fruit tree prices range from $12 to $28.95 And they have Red Oak and Swamp white oaks seedlings for $8.95 .

Does anybody know what their latest dropping crabapple is? They do not really give specific drop times like the blue hill drop chart.

Does anybody know what their latest dropping crabapple is? They do not really give specific drop times like the blue hill drop chart.
I want to say the Droptine....BUT E mail or call Whitetail Crabs and Terry the owner will give you the correct answer.

I just found out about them since joining and they're only an hour from me; will hopefully get an order in before they're sold out!
Typically they don't sell out that fast....EXCEPT for when they get a brand new variety , something like that may sell out quick . If you're up to it ,arrange to pick up your trees in person and save on the shipping !.

Last edited:
Wanted to order more from him but Bluehill took to much of my money this year lol

I also hate how he doesnt have a drop chart. Even if its just for his area I think it would help. The more I learn about rootstocks, the more concerned I get with him not directly stating what his trees are on. I think most of them are on B118 or M111 though. Not bashing trying to bash them to much lol Awesome trees and Terry is a great guy.

About a year or two ago it was stated on Whitetail Crabs Website that they use B118 . I believe I took a screen shot and/or posted about it on here. The rootstock is no longer mentioned on the current website. From what I've heard he also has some trees on M111 . I'm pretty sure Blue Hill is the only online tree nursery with a "drop chart" . Whitetail Crabs does like most other places , and for example in the listing for The .30-06 crab it says "drop period from fall through the beginning of winter." . Personally the trees from WC have grown much better for me than Blue Hill's trees....and they are all planted in the same vicinity.

About a year or two ago it was stated on Whitetail Crabs Website that they use B118 . I believe I took a screen shot and/or posted about it on here. The rootstock is no longer mentioned on the current website. From what I've heard he also has some trees on M111 . I'm pretty sure Blue Hill is the only online tree nursery with a "drop chart" . Whitetail Crabs does like most other places , and for example in the listing for The .30-06 crab it says "drop period from fall through the beginning of winter." . Personally the trees from WC have grown much better for me than Blue Hill's trees....and they are all planted in the same vicinity.
Yeah, the way bluehill does with the drop chart is very unique and a nice touch. It allows me to have a generalized idea of what to expect in my area versus what "most other places" do and just say "fall through beginning of winter", whatever that means.

I have heard a few people say that their whitetail crabs outgrew their bluehill trees. Interested to see how they do on my crappy soil. They're getting planted on the edges of my food plot so ph and nutrient levels are decent.

I just wanted more variety this year and like how Ryan describes each of his trees in the description. Time will tell how they do compared to my whitetail crabs. Definitely will be ordering more from Terry in the future.

Yeah, the way bluehill does with the drop chart is very unique and a nice touch. It allows me to have a generalized idea of what to expect in my area versus what "most other places" do and just say "fall through beginning of winter", whatever that means.

If you're from Arkansas like your page states , Blue Hills "drop chart" is totally useless for you.

If you're from Arkansas like your page states , Blue Hills "drop chart" is totally useless for you.
Actually it isn't, I can extrapolate a rough estimate of our drop time here based on differences of the average last frost they have in PA.

Actually it isn't, I can extrapolate a rough estimate of our drop time here based on differences of the average last frost they have in PA.
Depending where you are at in Arkansas, you could damn near be in the same zone as Bluehill lol

Terry's trees have outgrown (albeit only a handful) of trees from Bluehill and St Lawrence by a ton. Not even close. I see just today on his FB pg maybe that his roots are b118, but I still swear as do a few others that the trees we got a few yrs ago are not b118 but most likely m111.

My trees from Terry are all 30-06 and droptine. His crossbow trees sound great also. I love the part about them being immune to the Japs.

Depending where you are at in Arkansas, you could damn near be in the same zone as Bluehill lol
If you say so... some of Blue Hills original plant tissue comes from trees in Minnesota and Upstate NY , are you figuring that in too ?. If I lived that far south in Arkansas , I think it would make more sense to buy trees from a place like the Wildlife Group in Alabama....but they don't have a "unique drop chart".

Split Toe,

I believe whitetail crabs is Zone 5B. They're about 1200 chill hours. You're zone 7ish and 1000 chill hours. Should be good to go with almost all of their varieties. I'd double check on redfield or wolf river for chill hours.

LAte / Deer season more friendly from him. Droptine, crossbow, 30-06, and winter gold. Winter gold will be the latest dropper. Trueky is new for him this year and golden hornet isn't talked about too much. Guys like droptine's agressive growth and drop times. I personally like crossbow. Very insect resistant, good growth, and good branch development (shape / angles).

Far as his common offerings. Redfield, Arkansas Black, and enterprise would be good choices. Sheepnose is likely good too, but not talked about much. Liberty is more early cotober. Golden delicious is a good choice, but it does get cedar apple rust. Golden delicious is a very good polinator of other trees and drops late october. Gala isn't too bad either. Best secriptions of individual tree varieties is cummins nursery.

Terry's shipping costs are expensive, but honest. He gives you a well developed tree. Many nrseries give you a 3-4ft tree, Terry gves you a 5-7ft tree. His expensive to ship 6ft box came with a few trees with the tops bent over. The extra shipping propbably gives you an extra year.

IF you're concerned about how long the trees will live, or want some real monster trees, ask him to give you some antonovka rootstock trees. Otherwise you get a B118. Which is a good rootstock. Probably a 50 year or so tree about 18' tall maybe 15' wide Antonovka's can ladt for centuries, very significant roots, and you get a 25' tall tree maybe 20' wide. What is grafted to the rootstock can effect the size.

Because of shipping, I'd order about a dozen. Thats the max he can stuff in each box. MY dozen pick... 3 droptine, 2 crossbow, 2 enterprise, 1 liberty, 1 redfield, 2 winter gold, and a golden delicious. Thats a good blend for deer and you. reffield is good to add to cider. Hewe's or harrison is a good choice if you want to make hard cider someday.

If you plan on getting other trees from elsewhere, or want to make a large setup. Go with 5 droptine, 3 crossbow, 3 winter gold, and give the turkey crab a try. All winter hangover or eliza's crab is a better very late dropper choice, but his winter gold is pretty good.

Crossbow is a good choice for my camp up north because I have some bears up there. Feel his tree is similar to chestnut crab. Shorter branch length with good angles. Also, every tree got hammered well by japanese beetles and ants at my home. I spray monthly so far. Crossbow barely got hit. Literally day and night. The more "disease resistant" the variety was touted, the more the buggers ate it. I'd love to cross polinate crossbow and enterprise or redfield and see what they would make. There is something about that tree, taste of the leaves, or some repelllant chemical it makes. Beautiful dark red young branches too.

Split Toe,

I believe whitetail crabs is Zone 5B. They're about 1200 chill hours. You're zone 7ish and 1000 chill hours. Should be good to go with almost all of their varieties. I'd double check on redfield or wolf river for chill hours.

LAte / Deer season more friendly from him. Droptine, crossbow, 30-06, and winter gold. Winter gold will be the latest dropper. Trueky is new for him this year and golden hornet isn't talked about too much. Guys like droptine's agressive growth and drop times. I personally like crossbow. Very insect resistant, good growth, and good branch development (shape / angles).

Far as his common offerings. Redfield, Arkansas Black, and enterprise would be good choices. Sheepnose is likely good too, but not talked about much. Liberty is more early cotober. Golden delicious is a good choice, but it does get cedar apple rust. Golden delicious is a very good polinator of other trees and drops late october. Gala isn't too bad either. Best secriptions of individual tree varieties is cummins nursery.

Terry's shipping costs are expensive, but honest. He gives you a well developed tree. Many nrseries give you a 3-4ft tree, Terry gves you a 5-7ft tree. His expensive to ship 6ft box came with a few trees with the tops bent over. The extra shipping propbably gives you an extra year.

IF you're concerned about how long the trees will live, or want some real monster trees, ask him to give you some antonovka rootstock trees. Otherwise you get a B118. Which is a good rootstock. Probably a 50 year or so tree about 18' tall maybe 15' wide Antonovka's can ladt for centuries, very significant roots, and you get a 25' tall tree maybe 20' wide. What is grafted to the rootstock can effect the size.

Because of shipping, I'd order about a dozen. Thats the max he can stuff in each box. MY dozen pick... 3 droptine, 2 crossbow, 2 enterprise, 1 liberty, 1 redfield, 2 winter gold, and a golden delicious. Thats a good blend for deer and you. reffield is good to add to cider. Hewe's or harrison is a good choice if you want to make hard cider someday.

If you plan on getting other trees from elsewhere, or want to make a large setup. Go with 5 droptine, 3 crossbow, 3 winter gold, and give the turkey crab a try. All winter hangover or eliza's crab is a better very late dropper choice, but his winter gold is pretty good.

Crossbow is a good choice for my camp up north because I have some bears up there. Feel his tree is similar to chestnut crab. Shorter branch length with good angles. Also, every tree got hammered well by japanese beetles and ants at my home. I spray monthly so far. Crossbow barely got hit. Literally day and night. The more "disease resistant" the variety was touted, the more the buggers ate it. I'd love to cross polinate crossbow and enterprise or redfield and see what they would make. There is something about that tree, taste of the leaves, or some repelllant chemical it makes. Beautiful dark red young branches too.

bigboreblr Terry has a new size and price range for 2024​

Attachments

• 2023-09-21.png
    2023-09-21.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 30
Split Toe,

Are you not a 30-06 fan? That's been one of his top sellers, but I recall reading here that it might have a few less than desirable qualities.

Are you not a 30-06 fan? That's been one of his top sellers, but I recall reading here that it might have a few less than desirable qualities.
I'm not. Probably my comments you've read on here. Great grower, mines neck and neck with the drop tine planted the same time. However, mine has been biennial, alternating very light then a heavy crop. It's apples also turn to mush on the tree for me, splattering when they eventually drop. I swear the deer lick up the applesauce though.

Droptine is an allstar IMO. Great grower, retains fruit quality very late, and a consistent producer.

The below message is a reply from Terry the owner of Whitetail Crabs

"We have our counts done and should have numbers in the next couple days on the web. We are breaking them into some different sizes now...our 3-4' size do not include the root length and average more towards the 4' ( heavy average 3/8" caliper) range..so a real nice tree. I would say the trees are average size this year from an abnormally cold spring into summer...and record freeze in May. Look to next 2 years for the extra large and jumbos to be back..the roostock we just budded last month is looking great and we have increased numbers significantly for following years. Feel free to pass this along. Thanks!! "