which type of brassica's?

Powder

5 year old buck +
One of the things I am kicking around for a foodplot is using long season brassica's. My thought is because I am in NW Ontario I don't have enough time to plant more than one crop if I wait until the middle of the summer. I know some of you will overseed soybeans with brassica's or plant one variety and if it doesn't grow you have time to do something else.

So my idea was, should I plant long season brassica's early in the season? That way if they don't make it I could still replant with Ptt or radishes. In addition, it would allow me to have more food growing during the growing season rather than waiting until July to plant PTT and radishes.

Thoughts?

What I've seen is most of the brassicas are in the 40-60 day maturity range, some are more like kale if you did this I'd go with something that has a longer maturity.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Do long season brassica's provide more total tonnage?

Last edited:
I don't know for sure but I would say they should.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks NH. Another reason I am looking at them is because this would be for a kill plot. Assuming the deer like PTT, DER, and radishes, I'm assuming they would like sugar beets. But from what I've been reading is that beets are not part of the brassica family so I could plant brassica's for two years and then one year of beets. I'm assuming this would be helpful from keeping pests at bay.

Without knowing your soil type and growing season length, we planted the " Big Buck Brassica Mix " from Welter's Seed Co. in Iowa this past July 25th and it's kicking butt. It has purple top turnips, Dwarf Essex rape, Groundhog radishes, and Pasja hybrid brassica in it. We had limed the field in spring, and we put 300 lbs. of 19-19-19 in at planting. We used 8 lbs. of the mix for an acre. The tops are knee high and the turnip bulbs are up to softball size. Radishes are avg. 10 - 12" long.

It's pretty much what NH Mtns. recommended in post #6, but has Pasja added. We're very happy with it. It's still green, and we've had several HEAVY frosts and snow just this past weekend.

We also have an acre of winter rye and winter wheat as a 50/50 mix and it's a green carpet about 8" tall and very thick. Deer love both plots. FWIW.

NH - $2.65 / lb. as of this past summer/fall. ^^^^ We didn't separate the radish seed from the rest - but it seemed to work out OK for us. We have pretty good dispersal of all plant types in our plot. We were worried about 8 lbs. being too thick for an acre - but it turned out great. At least for our soil type. We record all of our plantings, fertilizer, seed rates, etc. for future use.

I'd send for their catalog for a guide to seeding rate, plant characteristics, etc. It's a great source of info. Phone: (800) 470-3325 or welterseed.com
They are great to work with - very friendly.