Log landing recovery October 1

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
I have two more shots at use of my new used drill this year .. one is the first of October when our logger pulls out of one of my main woods kill zones which is a long acre and three quarter woods ridge top..

I am trying to decide what to plant as it is a long sloping ridge about 40 yards wide that is being used as a log yard and is 4” deep in fine dust/dirt..

I don’t know whether to massively cover it in wheat to get roots n ground cover in place and then this spring kill off and start the Green Cover summer release .. OR

Do the heavy wheat along with a healthy dose of red n white clover mix and then in spring light kill the wheat and let the clover run its course for a couple of years..OR

I have some seed leftover from my bottoms plantings that consists of 3 annual clovers crimson. frosty and berseem and GH radish and PTT

Would adding cereal rye to what ever I do help or hurt to the above in your opinion

Ideas are always welcome..

Bear

^ Do you know the PH of this soil? OM?

Well I don’t currently and no question bucking up logs will induce a lot of saw dust which will in time add acid to the mix .. but with that said prior to the logging operation it grew good brassicas and legumes

Bear

I had so much slash and debris in my log landings.....that it took me a season ++ to pick all that trash off the site. In some areas with lots of sawdust and wood chips....it's taken several years to get something to grow in those areas. Still a work in process for me. I would try to get some rye or perhaps some buckwheat established.....and maybe some clovers if the soil is good.

Viable description of a log landing there Fog ..lucky I am having my nephew log it (He is a logger professionally) and he has a tracked skidsteer that has a rake/basket/bucket thingy that does a pretty good job of clean up plus if he knows it is a major food plot for us plus he wants to be invited back to log again and he wants an invite for a few hunts so I am betting he makes a real honest run at leaving it farmable

Bear

I don’t know whether to massively cover it in wheat to get roots n ground cover in place

That's what I would do. And I wouldn't be in a hurry to terminate it next year. I would try to let it really develop the roots as much as possible. Then next summer I would start with a food plot blend.

Two things I'd focus on first:

*Get it covered. Nature is gonna want to have a say in what grows out there too. This means rye.

*Deal with the compaction, because rye and wheat may not do well right away. Rye, chicory, plantain, dandelion, japanese millet, white clover, flax, rape, ragweed, black eyed susan, sweet clover. If you're blessed with thistle, do not kill it. Let it do it's job. Throw lots of seed, because some won't do well in the first try.

My experiences, the dust and leftovers need a few years.

To rot wood faster, lime and add nitrogen fertilizer. That would make more change than the rye will. But add rye and medium red clover anyways. You'll get something here n there at minimum. Well cleaned should recover fast. Usuall trashing a spit 7-10 years. Usually trees grow 1st from existing roots at stumps.

My experiences, the dust and leftovers need a few years.

To rot wood faster, lime and add nitrogen fertilizer. That would make more change than the rye will. But add rye and medium red clover anyways. You'll get something here n there at minimum. Well cleaned should recover fast. Usuall trashing a spit 7-10 years. Usually trees grow 1st from existing roots at stumps.
Well it was a productive food plot before being used as a collection yard for logs coming from several different directions.. some logs were bucked up there but it was not used to set up a saw mill .. I just need roots in the ground to hold the thin but good topsoil so I think mid October when he pulls out a heavy dose of cereal rye n wheat with some red and white clover.. I question if the clover will make it planting that late .. maybe some annuals like crimson and others then spring drill reds n white clover
Man we are dry for anything on that ridge top!

Bear

I'd do as Bigboreblr advised. Lime, rye, and clover. Rye is very forgiving of soil pH, and if the clover does nothing - chances are the rye will. But I'll bet you get clover growing too. FWIW - Alsike clover grows in poorer soil with not-so-great pH. It worked for us here. Good luck!!