What to plant in June for doves?

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
Well, my farmer missed the window to get sunflowers in the ground this year For dove season (9/1). He’s just now getting to prepping for the corn and beans. Given I’ve only got 2+ months to get something in the ground and ready for dove season, what would you all plant this late in the game? Millet? I think maybe I have enough time to get some proso millet to maturity? Any other things you would consider with the limited timeframe?

Why won’t sunflowers work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

110 day maturity and he won’t be able to get them in the ground till mid June at best. No way that works unless I get a tall spray rig in to burn them down prior to full maturity. Last year we planted the first week of June and they were still green in early September.

Agreed its too late for sunflowers if your goal is the opener of 9/1. Tried it a few years ago and it was a flop. Doing half in sunflowers now might make for some awesome midseason hunting however.

I’m planning on doing some Japanese millet for the first time this weekend. I would look at it hard if I were you as it appears to have one of the shorter maturity dates of the millets, right at 60 days. That would give you plenty of time for it to mature and for it to be sprayed and then burned to concentrate doves before the opener.

IME, the proso takes a little longer (90ish days?) and you’d be cutting it very close.

The bulk of my planting this year was winter wheat planted in mid September. I have heard it attracts and concentrates them almost as well as sunflowers, and at 1/10th the effort and cost (depending on if you go Clearfield or not), makes the most sense for my small plot. Add to the fact that it’s guaranteed to be ready in time, I’m looking forward to what happens this year. Planning a spray the first week of August and a burn the 2nd, which should make for an all or nothing opener.

470462986a8530d87723ce1f21610480.jpg

Agreed its too late for sunflowers if your goal is the opener of 9/1. Tried it a few years ago and it was a flop. Doing half in sunflowers now might make for some awesome midseason hunting however.

I’m planning on doing some Japanese millet for the first time this weekend. I would look at it hard if I were you as it appears to have one of the shorter maturity dates of the millets, right at 60 days. That would give you plenty of time for it to mature and for it to be sprayed and then burned to concentrate doves before the opener.

IME, the proso takes a little longer (90ish days?) and you’d be cutting it very close.

The bulk of my planting this year was winter wheat planted in mid September. I have heard it attracts and concentrates them almost as well as sunflowers, and at 1/10th the effort and cost (depending on if you go Clearfield or not), makes the most sense for my small plot. Add to the fact that it’s guaranteed to be ready in time, I’m looking forward to what happens this year. Planning a spray the first week of August and a burn the 2nd, which should make for an all or nothing opener.

470462986a8530d87723ce1f21610480.jpg

I have heard that burnt wheat is fantastic; for whatever reason all my hunting has been over sunflowers so maybe I need to broaden my horizons. I may try wheat next year...definitely much cheaper and easier. From what see online proso millet is 65-75 days. I will look into the Japanese millet as well. It’s going to be an experiment regardless!

Browntop millet has 60 day maturity. Just planted some yesterday. Also planted some two weeks ago. If you are not in an area that maintains high concentrations of doves - you need to have food available long before season to build numbers. I am farther south, and I use a five acre wheat field, which has already browned and died to begin attracting doves now. Probably already have fifty or sixty doves using the wheat field. Hopefully, it provides food until my browntop millet ripens end of July. The millet will hold them the last month. I spray the dead wheat with gly to keep it clean.

I don’t know anything about hunting doves, but I know they are in my Buckwheat every year.

Browntop millet has 60 day maturity. Just planted some yesterday. Also planted some two weeks ago. If you are not in an area that maintains high concentrations of doves - you need to have food available long before season to build numbers. I am farther south, and I use a five acre wheat field, which has already browned and died to begin attracting doves now. Probably already have fifty or sixty doves using the wheat field. Hopefully, it provides food until my browntop millet ripens end of July. The millet will hold them the last month. I spray the dead wheat with gly to keep it clean.
You’re right about that. I’m just starting to learn about planting/managing for doves. I’ve dove hunted public ground most of my life and last year was my first year planting on my own. I’m limited to a 5 acre patch right now. There are definitely decent numbers of doves in the area but I would do well to have 5 acres of early maturing crop and then 5 acres of later maturing crop to pull in more. So much more enjoyable dove hunting on your own private patch. Once my 125 acres of CRP expire I’ll have more options. Do you burn or mow your wheat/millet? I mowed 1/2 my sunflowers last year which helped, but they were still green and drying down so it wasn’t perfect.

How about buckwheat and millet, perhaps in strips. I find buckwheat takes off so fast and shades competition there is often bare ground underneath.

dea39bd5ccd5163c0424fcaaa86ef656.jpg

This pic is August 30 after a June 2 throw and mow planting. We don’t dove hunt but this plot was full of birds all fall long.

How about buckwheat and millet, perhaps in strips. I find buckwheat takes off so fast and shades competition there is often bare ground underneath.

This is what i would do.

This is what i would do.
Come dove season would you mow strips perpendicular to the rows? Burn some of it? Never planted buckwheat or millet. I might be able to divide my large and small seed boxes on my PSS84 and and plant one half buckwheat and one half millet. After turning and planting back the other way that it would give me ~7’ strips of each.

If you have quite a few deer, you wont have any buckwheat.

I dont know that you will have any more doves by planting two different crops like buckwheat and wheat - at least for early season - and it is a lot more trouble. Browntop is as easy as it gets, and my deer dont mess with it. I have even had it reseed the next year and I didnt have to plant anything. I dont burn either my wheat or my millet. I leave my wheat standing through the summer. The longer the wheat heads stay off the ground, the longer the wheat seed lasts. I have bush hogged my millet, but I dont see increased use by doves - it does make them much easier to find. We no longer get migratory doves where I live - but if they still come to your area - you will need something like sunflowers and milo - something that stands upright a lot longer than millet. Rhe millet field I planted two weeks ago is below.
613BAD60-42F4-403D-A9F0-3B138DE27518.jpeg

If you have quite a few deer, you wont have any buckwheat.

I dont know that you will have any more doves by planting two different crops like buckwheat and wheat - at least for early season - and it is a lot more trouble. Browntop is as easy as it gets, and my deer dont mess with it. I have even had it reseed the next year and I didnt have to plant anything. I dont burn either my wheat or my millet. I leave my wheat standing through the summer. The longer the wheat heads stay off the ground, the longer the wheat seed lasts. I have bush hogged my millet, but I dont see increased use by doves - it does make them much easier to find. We no longer get migratory doves where I live - but if they still come to your area - you will need something like sunflowers and milo - something that stands upright a lot longer than millet. Rhe millet field I planted two weeks ago is below.
View attachment 30108
We get a lot of migratory doves here in MO. We have resident doves as well. I’m SOL on wheat this year since it’s so late. I planted sunflowers last year and the deer didn’t mess with them. I have a ton of deer but where this plot is located is close to my shop and the road so they tend not to spend much time there...they’re off destroying the 9 acres of beans I plant back in the secluded spots. This year will be an experiment. Last year was my first year with sunflowers and they did great, but they were put in a month too late. I got a couple good mid season shoots in, but they were no where near ready on 9/1. Next year I’m going to try and get the farmer to have them in the ground my early May. What’s your planting method for millet? Do you use any pre emergent during burn down?

Come dove season would you mow strips perpendicular to the rows? Burn some of it? Never planted buckwheat or millet. I might be able to divide my large and small seed boxes on my PSS84 and and plant one half buckwheat and one half millet. After turning and planting back the other way that it would give me ~7’ strips of each.

Sounds like a good plan. It would give you good dove food plus a chance to try out two short-season dove crops. I have no experience burning fields.

In my experience, doves love millet. But I think most animals also like diversity. Because you have a short window, millet plus a other fast-maturing crop seems like a winning solution to your problem.

We get a lot of migratory doves here in MO. We have resident doves as well. I’m SOL on wheat this year since it’s so late. I planted sunflowers last year and the deer didn’t mess with them. I have a ton of deer but where this plot is located is close to my shop and the road so they tend not to spend much time there...they’re off destroying the 9 acres of beans I plant back in the secluded spots. This year will be an experiment. Last year was my first year with sunflowers and they did great, but they were put in a month too late. I got a couple good mid season shoots in, but they were no where near ready on 9/1. Next year I’m going to try and get the farmer to have them in the ground my early May. What’s your planting method for millet? Do you use any pre emergent during burn down?

Burn down with gly, wait about three weeks for the dead vegetation to wither down, millet in the small seed box on your woods seeder, one quick pass at 30 lbs per acre. You can spray with 24d later if needed. I dont fertilize. It is as easy as it gets.

I would hesitate to plant a grass and a broadleaf together. Summer weeds can be much worse than fall or winter weeds. Planting both a grass and a broadleaf pretty much does away with any chance for chemical weed control. Doves prefer clean ground.

Im in Ohio, and in same boat as you as far as just learning some things for doves. This will be the first year I do anything with or for them, but I hear they taste good so going to give it a go. I planted sunflower and millet over last weekend. Not sure if it'll be ready for the opener or not, but theres no public land around me and noone around here hunts them, so not sure the opener is all that important. But we'll see. Dont know if any of it will be ready for the season or not, but we'll see how it goes.

Y
Im in Ohio, and in same boat as you as far as just learning some things for doves. This will be the first year I do anything with or for them, but I hear they taste good so going to give it a go. I planted sunflower and millet over last weekend. Not sure if it'll be ready for the opener or not, but theres no public land around me and noone around here hunts them, so not sure the opener is all that important. But we'll see. Dont know if any of it will be ready for the season or not, but we'll see how it goes.
If your opener is 9/1 like ours your sunflowers won’t be ready unless you burn them down ahead of time with gly. I went through it last year in MO. I planted 6/6 I believe last year. Millet should be ready in 70ish days depending on what type you planted. Post up your results and progress along the way. My sunflower post from last year is on here if you search my band on the forum. I kept it update through the process.

Where in Ohio? There are a lot of public dove fields in the state. I hunted a few around Dayton.