All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to plant in June for doves?

Ill post pictures of growth along the way for sure. We'll see how it comes out. There was no way to get planted really any earlier. We had snow very late in the year, and the ground temps didnt get up until just the last couple weeks. Needed to till and such first with everything else that was put in. But we'll see how it does. Never hunted doves before, but figured would give it a go. Don't need to shoot my limit over and over. 4 or 5 would be plenty for us.

I'm just about as far NE as you can be without being in PA. In the snow belt, and off the lake a bit. So although we don't get the wind like on lake front, we get the snow and colder temps for a bit longer.

Ill post pictures of growth along the way for sure. We'll see how it comes out. There was no way to get planted really any earlier. We had snow very late in the year, and the ground temps didnt get up until just the last couple weeks. Needed to till and such first with everything else that was put in. But we'll see how it does. Never hunted doves before, but figured would give it a go. Don't need to shoot my limit over and over. 4 or 5 would be plenty for us.

I'm just about as far NE as you can be without being in PA. In the snow belt, and off the lake a bit. So although we don't get the wind like on lake front, we get the snow and colder temps for a bit longer.
For what it’s worth I didn't even try hunting my sunflowers until mid September. I started mowing them down in late August and then hunted later in September. I was able to scratch out 8-10 each of the times I hunted, even though the mowed sunflowers were still fairly green (full of seeds though).

Attachments

• 4E491559-84AA-4034-A2EC-4C3D4E88E77A.jpeg
    4E491559-84AA-4034-A2EC-4C3D4E88E77A.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 10
  • E9ED2CC2-3A3C-40B5-A06B-7FE3863ECF13.jpeg
    E9ED2CC2-3A3C-40B5-A06B-7FE3863ECF13.jpeg
    571.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DC605485-6533-4596-B7F4-5B74860E9C03.jpeg
    DC605485-6533-4596-B7F4-5B74860E9C03.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 11
I suppose it depends on your location as for timing of the crop(s). We've had good success planting buckwheat, proso millet, and dwarf sorghum (the wildlife type). In our no commercial ag., solid forest mountain top location, we drew lots of doves the first year we planted those 3 items. Planting time was right about the 10th of June. Zone 5 & 6 border at camp. FWIW.