What are you planting 2019?

I’m interested in your process on this. I have a 42 acre place I am starting work on next year that is mostly pasture. How did you determine where you added structure or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the middle 90's I took the back 10acres and just let it go thinking mother nature would take over and in a few years it would be better, wrong. I also started food ploting then trying to draw the deer off the neighbors, my neighbors to the north don't hunt so I had a 40 sanctuary there, we regularly watch deer bed over the fence in there woods. My first tree planting was a total disadter with about 90% loss because of deer and me not knowing what I was doing so around 2011-12 I started to do more than just try to draw deer with food plots by planting trees, NWG's, shrubs. My property had a ridge about 2/3's back that runs east and west so I can't see the very back from the house plus it slopes from west to east. My first priority was cover and screening so I planted a couple one acre fields of switch and NWG. I planted an orchard on the west end where it's higher and plater because I didn't want it in a low frost pocket. As I contintue planting I'm trying to move everything more towards to middle of my 40.

Here's a pic from 2010 and my plan, you can see I had the food plot pretty close to the north fence now it's closer to 80yds south. This lines are red is the back 10 acres, purple is switch, orange is MG screen, yellow is food plot.

4vzWyXy.jpg

Here is the current view of it with a couple more acres of trees and shrubs planted along with a orchard on the west line. The little square in the NE corner I prepped to plant switch in it this spring and I'm ringing it with MG.

ZyxFwz0.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased 125 shrubs for bedding/cover from Maryland department of forestry. $1 a piece for Chick Plum, Ninebark, Gray Dogwood and Black Choke Cherry. Gotta say for a buck I’m impressed with the root systemA17EFBE2-F2FB-427B-B4BB-8F4F4D0B03BB.jpeg
80% look like these. I had a few scrawny ones but I’m thinking they were extra. I dug more than 125 holes.

I’ve got about 45 Chestnuts that are a few inches tall with 20 more just poking their head up out of the medium.

75 persimmon seeds that I’ll take out of the fridge and put in 4” fabric pots to see if I can get some of those to plant later this year.

And probably 150 hard wood cuttings I have in sand over the winter that I plan to get rooted and in the ground this fall

5 new pear trees already in the ground. Growing 2 pears and 2 Washington cherries from seed.

20 Allegheny chinkapin to go in the ground later this year. Thanks to a member on here for the donation. They are in Walmart fabric bags and I am air pruning.

That’s all. I think it is anyway.

S

I purchased 125 shrubs for bedding/cover from Maryland department of forestry. $1 a piece for Chick Plum, Ninebark, Gray Dogwood and Black Choke Cherry. Gotta say for a buck I’m impressed with the root systemView attachment 23236
80% look like these. I had a few scrawny ones but I’m thinking they were extra. I dug more than 125 holes.

I’ve got about 45 Chestnuts that are a few inches tall with 20 more just poking their head up out of the medium.

75 persimmon seeds that I’ll take out of the fridge and put in 4” fabric pots to see if I can get some of those to plant later this year.

And probably 150 hard wood cuttings I have in sand over the winter that I plan to get rooted and in the ground this fall

5 new pear trees already in the ground. Growing 2 pears and 2 Washington cherries from seed.

20 Allegheny chinkapin to go in the ground later this year. Thanks to a member on here for the donation. They are in Walmart fabric bags and I am air pruning.

That’s all. I think it is anyway.

S[/QUOThis is actually the good root system
BB65A129-9C0F-40E0-9556-5164887A4096.jpeg

A little behind on reporting but I got ten more pear trees of different varieties, a few crab apples (Dolgo and sugar time) a Arkansas black apple, 16 elderberries (adams, Johns, nova and York) a few european hazelnuts to add to my american patch, and 7 different persimmons. I’m running out of room! Planning on propagating some carmine jewel bush cherries to put between the apple and pear trees. I have 8 ornso of the carmine jewel. They’re easy to grow and delicious. My chestnuts are doing pretty well and really popping this year. Overall, after a few years of fighting weeds and slooooow growth, the orchard and the many seedlings I’ve planted are really starting to look like something special. Fruit set on the fruit trees is looking good. Enjoy the spring y’all.

A little behind on reporting but I got ten more pear trees of different varieties, a few crab apples (Dolgo and sugar time) a Arkansas black apple, 16 elderberries (adams, Johns, nova and York) a few european hazelnuts to add to my american patch, and 7 different persimmons. I’m running out of room! Planning on propagating some carmine jewel bush cherries to put between the apple and pear trees. I have 8 ornso of the carmine jewel. They’re easy to grow and delicious. My chestnuts are doing pretty well and really popping this year. Overall, after a few years of fighting weeds and slooooow growth, the orchard and the many seedlings I’ve planted are really starting to look like something special. Fruit set on the fruit trees is looking good. Enjoy the spring y’all.
823AFC76-2BA4-405A-8E85-5D60E126F4CF.jpeg

Kansas Forest Service fall tree sale right now. Just ordered 25 containerized bur oak

2019 Fall planting:
1 Liberty
1 Enterprise
1 Arkansas Black
1 Old Fashioned Limbertwig
1 Yates
1 Keener Seedling
6 Total Apples:

3 Olympic Pears
3 Moonglow Pears
1 Plumbee Pear
7 Total Pears

Spring 2018 Plantings (17 pears)
Spring 2017 Plantings (100 Persimmons, 50 Chestnuts, 6 pears)

20190905_150111.jpg20190905_150731.jpg20190905_160834.jpg

I'm planting quite a few apple trees I've grafted and grown in my nursery here at home and I'm planning on something to screen the road north of me.
Also I picked these Chinese chestnuts up today to try my hand at nut grafting again.
We had a few dunstan trees make this year, but I'm wanting to add a few more varieties.
86fe30bac7642c519a5a9fbe8356e3ac.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ks is that the ones you got from forestry?blue where did you order from

Ks is that the ones you got from forestry?blue where did you order from
Yes. Containerized seedlings seem alot high quality than bare root.

Did they ship or did you have to go get

They shipped them.

My plantings keep getting smaller and smaller every year, this year I have
**MDC
20 cypress trees
20 black walnut
20 Mixed hickory
I have a place at home that gets bare root tees every year for $5 each I always get 20 or 30 trees from them and have had great success.
Mayhaw
Plums
peaches
apples
pear
My main focus this year will be grafting persimmon trees over to native females I have chosen due to them holding fruit into January. I also grew some apples from seeds that I want to graft.
That will be enough to keep my 2020 season busy.

Last edited: