10 wild plum
10 white pines
10 downy serviceberry
12 allegheny serviceberry
18 allegheny chiquapin
7 different apples
7 pear varieties
Several persimmons

This is all from memory so I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

I picked up some chestnuts from Oklahoma chestnuts LLC,nice looking trees and very nice people to deal with

25 buffalo berry
25 button bush
6 shumard oak
6 shuwillow hybrid oaks

What is your source for the button bush?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDC ,Superior Trees, Arborgen all have buttonbush

bill

25 hazelnuts
25 nannyberry
25 American wahoo
10 mulberry
10 wild plum
10 white pines
10 downy serviceberry
12 allegheny serviceberry
18 allegheny chiquapin
7 different apples
7 pear varieties
Several persimmons

This is all from memory so I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

American wahoo?

experience with this? uses?

bill

American wahoo?

experience with this? uses?

bill

I have planted about a dozen bare root A. wahoo in the spring of 2017. Because they were bare root, they haven't grown much, but I have experienced no diseases, or other issues, with them. The late part of spring 2017 got a little dry and it has seemingly rained at least, once every week (or two), since. It appears they handle most weather and differing soil conditions at the Hillfarm, in northern Kentucky, and they seem as hardy as hazelnuts.
I got mine from MDC. They were about 2' tall, or a little under, with a huge root mass, again similar to hazelnuts.

Uses would be herbal medicine for stomach issues, shrub habitat and wild turkey food from their seed and fruit pods. I also think deer browse the shoots and young vegetation.

My list for this year -

NWC
6 - Droptine Crab
4 - 30-06 Crab

SLN
2 - Violi's Hanging Crab
2 - Winter Wildlife Crab

From my own nursery, probably 10 or 12 apples/crabs grafted a year ago.
A couple peach trees I can get locally.
750 MG rhizomes from Maple River.
25 - MM111 to graft
8 - OHxF97
8 - P.18

Last edited:
~100 apple and pesr trees
~20 hybrid willows
~10 ROD

And about 1.5 acres of food plot in blocks of various things, including corn, clover, radishes, turnips, oats, etc. Trying to give some variety plus late season food, and get an idea of what they like.

The plan for this spring, if spring ever comes this year is ...

Below are for multiple pockets of thermal cover...
100 Black Hills Spruce 2-3'
100 Blue Spruce 2-3'
75 Norway Spruce 2-3'
25 Red Cedar 2-3' (this will be an experiment to see if I can create cover in lowland area that is dominated by reed canary grass. Soil is moist but not wet and peat based. Will spray gly, plant, add weed barrier, and then screen. There are already tamaracks & cedars so I am going to try and duplicate. If successful should turn out to be phenomenal bedding in a sanctuary area.)

Fence line screening ...
50 Hybrid Poplar
200 Willow cuttings

Cover and wildlife food ....
25 Midwest Crab apple
15 American Plum

Adding to orchard development ....
2 Amere de Berthcourt Cider Apple
1 Chehalis Apple Tree
6 Dolgo Crabapple
1 Mountain Rose Flesh Apple
2 Whitney Crabapple
6 Chesnut Crabapple

I have some wahoo on my place. I would put it in the same group as the dogwoods as far as habitat value for wildlife. It's a multiple stemmed shrub that I have seen get to 4 or 5 feet tall and turns a bright red in the fall. I have pics of it in the "name this plant" thread from back in Aug....as I wasn't sure what it was. I am sure there are better shrubs out there...but if you want some diversity and a great fall color...look into Wahoo.

All of these will be planted in my 9 acre destination field around the existing switch. Some for road screens.

25 Norway Spruce
60 Streamco Willow 2’ live stakes
20 RoD 2’ live stakes
20 Silky Dogwood 2’ live stakes
10 Streamco Willow rooted cuttings
10 RoD rooted cuttings
20 RoD 2’ whips
10 Nine bark 2’ whips
10 Buttonbush 2’ whips
10 Arrowwood 2’ whips
10 Nine bark bareroot 2-3’
10 beauty berry bareroot 2-3’
10 Eastren Redbud bareroot 3-4’
1 Chickasaw plum
15 American plum by seed
1 ounce each of RoD and silky Dogwood by direct seeding

1 Gilmer Christmas
1 Gate
1 Kieffer
1 Dolgo
1 Callaway
2 Japanese persimmons
2 AU chestnuts
10 dwarf Chinkapin Oak

Not planting this year, but transplanting. I have three areas on my land where I am still cleaning up from the 2008 ice storm we had in New England. The top of almost every tree snapped off in that storm and I have areas where I have taken down all of the spruce to release the hardwoods that survived. The problem is there is absolutely no understory and I now have these areas that look way too "park effect" for my tastes. I know in time I'll get saplings that will start to grow, but I am going to try to jumpstart the process. I bought a Root Slayer shovel and am going to try to transplant as many trees as I can this spring...maples, black cherry, ash, birch.

Not planting this year, but transplanting. I have three areas on my land where I am still cleaning up from the 2008 ice storm we had in New England. The top of almost every tree snapped off in that storm and I have areas where I have taken down all of the spruce to release the hardwoods that survived. The problem is there is absolutely no understory and I now have these areas that look way too "park effect" for my tastes. I know in time I'll get saplings that will start to grow, but I am going to try to jumpstart the process. I bought a Root Slayer shovel and am going to try to transplant as many trees as I can this spring...maples, black cherry, ash, birch.
Did the tops create a bunch of cover and structure? How was the deer use in the area?

I cut down a bunch of 24-30” diameter trees with big 40-50’ crowns and it made a mess. I am still in the process of cutting trails and pockets in it. I hope the improvements this year create better deer use.

Last edited:
Did the tops create a bunch of cover and structure? How was the deer use in the area?

I cut down a bunch of 24-30” diameter trees with big 40-50’ crowns and it made a mess. I am still in the process of cutting trails and pockets in it. I hope the improvements this year create better deer use.

In the areas on my land where the forest was 100% hardwoods, yes Rit, the tops all provided a lot of cover, and the increased sunlight on the floor just caused the understory to explode. Very thick and lots of cover and browse. The stem count in these areas is just insane. In the areas where the forest was a mix of deciduous and evergreens all of the spruce and fir tops landed on the ground and made these areas absolutely impassable. Looked like a bomb went off. Snowshoes enjoyed the new cover, but nothing else was using these areas. I've been slowly cutting and bucking and burning over the past 10 years. Now I have the remaining thinly scattered hardwoods with ferns on the floor. Starting to see some woody underbrush starting to grow. My plan is to take the saplings from the areas where I have a surplus and start adding them into these open areas.

The key is cutting travel corridors through messes like this as you are planning. These area I am working on are not really a part of my deer management plan. The remaining trees are mostly sugar maples which we tap every year. So, having tons of dead spruce laying around made these areas impassable for us...and not very nice to look at or walk through. Turkeys use these areas more I have noticed.

Last edited:
I'm so smart that this year will be like Christmas for me because I ordered a bunch of stuff(trees,shrubs,food plot seeds of several types)and believe it or not----I can't remember what I have coming this year! When I feel patient I am going to try to find my lists that I have somewhere. The one thing I do know is coming is Buffalo berry and I'm not familiar with it at all but thought I'd try it based on the information I could find about being very hearty and resistant to pests and disease. It's been a VERY long winter here and I'm feeling almost desperate to be able to get outside and do something. Come on spring!

Finally doing a cost share with the MN DNR this spring. We're planting 100 each highbush cranberry, juneberry, chokecherry, ROD, and wild plum. Our property has a ton of apple trees already, but I can't help but keep propagating more and grafting different varieties onto the existing trees. Also planting some hawthorn and bur oaks propagated in the back yard. Then there's always more spruce and pines to transplant...it's going to be a busy spring!

Just plots for me. I am going to be planting the majority of my food plot acreage in a non gmo soybean, field pea, milo, sunflower, and kale mix. I didn't spray my bean plots last year and they got plenty weedy but still managed to put on an acceptable amount of pods. I'm hoping to be able to smother out the weeds with this mix and still feed the deer through the winter.

I am also going to have a plot of beets and a strip of PTT and Radishes. If the above mix doesn't pan out i'll throw and mow it come August and or September. May also just TNM some strips anyway.

Where are you guys planting 100's-1000's of trees? Old fields? I'd have to cut down all my trees to plant that many!

I find the diversity of habitat on this site very interesting, the frozen north to the sandy pine forest of FL and everything in between!
When I bought my place it was a 40 acre hay field, we've taken the back 11-12 acres and have tried turning it into wildlife habitat. Every year or so I take another acre and turn it into habitat.

I’m interested in your process on this. I have a 42 acre place I am starting work on next year that is mostly pasture. How did you determine where you added structure or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk