west central IL

Davewp

5 year old buck +
Have been taking an unmanaged woods and canary grass creek bottom into some worthwhile landscape. cutting trees, planting trees, adding shrubs, feathering edges. here is biggest field that is solely canary grass, 6 foot tall in august, flat and open in novemeber.20170529_114443_resized.jpg

As for the timber, placed access trails, hinge cut area, and planted chestnut trees. Really thickened up areas. Even found a sole bedding area on a walk yesterday.20180523_150442.jpg20180523_154733.jpg

Nice work, Davewp. It all looks good. Deer are gonna love that thick stuff where you cut.

Good, hard work. How long have you been on the property? What's your plan for that big field?

thx Mortenson, been here 8 yrs. Had always entertained idea of crop production on that big field. But recently had a paradigm shift in thinking. Instead of just feathering edges which are all straight. Have begun planting fruit trees and chestnuts to add irregularity and "fingers" into the field. along with the feathering ( Using more shrubs for this, elderberry, arrowwood and dogwood). NEXT YR, will add more, both quantity and variety. Hazelnut seems popular. Ideas from this forum have been fantastic. Trying to also create prefered travel routes toward different stand areas as well as cover (using miscanthus) for my access to other end of field. There is a clover plot. But i really want to get away from the labor and cost of plots for a more "natural" field.
Should also note, that this field received Swamp white oak, pecan and pin oak seedlings.

Last edited:
Nice looking farm.

Nice work, Davewp. It all looks good. Deer are gonna love that thick stuff where you cut.
hinge cut other trees on top of the pine logs to keep little off ground. create more visual barrier.

Dave - I like that idea of creating " fingers " instead of a laser-straight edge. Deer like irregularity. They'll use every bit of cover to extend their view when " safety-checking " before entering a field. I think you'll like that plan you have for uneven edges. The variety of trees & shrubs you listed in post #8 is super.

I've seen Sandbur's pix on here where he plants successive years of spruce to have varying sizes that extend out of his heavy cover into his tag alders and more open areas. His edges are irregular in some spots, and those pix he posts look like prime deer travel areas. The trails in his pix tell the story.

Chestnut tree came through winter like a champ. Plenty of catkins. going to be hiving bees today (finally).20180531_202523.jpg20180531_175913.jpg

plan A, after work, get back grab bees and equipment to hive bees. what actually happens, i open garage door, and there are about a hundred russian bees flying around the garage. Mind you, i walked out of garage in am to go to work, no bees outside of cage. These bees made it from GA to monmouth IL to my house, no problem. someway while im at work, they get out of box. I end up putting on bee suite, getting cages into a large bin and into truck for 20 min drive out to property. end up hiving without event, but in field a good 25 yds away and I can still hear those bees, they sounded pissed.

pleased to see chestnut survived winter, starting to grow the hulls.
20180617_145139.jpg

this is a winecrisp, I have others, but refer to this one as my charlie brown winecrisp for obvious reasons20180617_144706.jpg

And these little russian fellows staying busy in this heat.20180617_145545.jpg

Winecrisp apple from other area of property.
20180617_145313.jpg

Honestly cannot recall if this was enterprise, liberty or goldrush from trees i planted yrs ago, before labeling.
20180617_144733.jpg

current projects include....
Growing miscanthus from cuttings:20180623_111028.jpg

Adding 4 additional pear trees to orchard (not sure of success when not leafed out in June)20180623_110539.jpg

Propagating Wyldewood and ozark elderberry:
20180623_110601.jpg

I can't believe I missed this thread. It appears you have been busy the last 8 years. How big of farm are you working with? What county are you in in Western IL ( you don't have to share if you don't want to)? I live in Quincy in Adams county. Home farm is in Adams but I hunt a few places in Pike, Brown, and Hancock. Also Lewis county Missouri. Your ground is impressive. Please keep updating!
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have been taking an unmanaged woods and canary grass creek bottom into some worthwhile landscape. cutting trees, planting trees, adding shrubs, feathering edges. here is biggest field that is solely canary grass, 6 foot tall in august, flat and open in novemeber.View attachment 18523

Davewp ... looks like a good project and you are making progress. For the canary grass field ... have you considered adding clumps of conifers?

Field looks to be ~4-5 acres and could be a good area for thermal cover and lines of shrubs creating connecting travel corridors.

I can't believe I missed this thread. It appears you have been busy the last 8 years. How big of farm are you working with? What county are you in in Western IL ( you don't have to share if you don't want to)? I live in Quincy in Adams county. Home farm is in Adams but I hunt a few places in Pike, Brown, and Hancock. Also Lewis county Missouri. Your ground is impressive. Please keep updating!
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hunting property is further north of you up in Warren county. Area Not known for big deer, but doing what i can in my little spot.

Had sprayed for jap beetles. Trees have taken a beating between beetles and that harsh winter. Some have faired better than others. 20180722_141804.jpg20180722_131800.jpg

"center" field...
20180722_135226.jpg
Food plot to go in, Apple trees to north, Will eventually have chestnut trees to east (there, just not mature yet), and 2 persimmon trees to the west.
20180721_181550.jpg
Center field, west edge, Sorry for blurry, most apples on tree ever. But you can still tell how much damage the beetles have done.20180722_133015.jpg