Rusty Nail

I transplanted about 35-40 cedars. Hard to see right now but hopefully it will fill in in the next few years. My plan is to cut majority of the junk trees behind those cedars and add a ton of moisture loving plants and have it thicken up.

AD5D2E33-D156-41E3-ADFA-AA471A4A40B4.jpeg 10A9C2A5-39B7-4AEB-9F1D-6D755440AC9A.jpeg

I wanted to have a screened off area where I have a couple Dunstan Chestnuts planted. I have a bunch of Chinese chestnuts in the fridge that will eventually go in this area.

I have 20 AC that I will plant around and plan on 8-10 in this area with the chestnuts. Should make for a pretty good archery stand.
A4302B1C-A2BA-4249-BB01-E68483C12E56.jpeg

Can’t pass up a good deal. Fruit trees were 50% off. I asked who in the world would by a fruit tree this time of year. I got the manager to sell them to me for $5.

I ended up getting 3 flowering crabs and 2 peaches for Momma. Snagged a couple moonglow pears for the wildlife.

I’ll work on fixing the roots before I plant. EDC37BE8-8C0B-41BB-8453-1A9CF9626E6F.jpeg

Get a deal when you can....nothing wrong with that! The flowing crabs may not produce the fruit size you want (many produce fruit too small to interest the deer), but you can always graft/top work later if you wanted to. I also transplant cedar, but I do it for a road screen project. I seem to have pretty decent luck as long as they are smaller. You should be hunting that buck in the pic....not doing habitat work in november!:emoji_relaxed:

Get a deal when you can....nothing wrong with that! The flowing crabs may not produce the fruit size you want (many produce fruit too small to interest the deer), but you can always graft/top work later if you wanted to. I also transplant cedar, but I do it for a road screen project. I seem to have pretty decent luck as long as they are smaller. You should be hunting that buck in the pic....not doing habitat work in november!:emoji_relaxed:
The crabs and peaches are going to be planted in the back yard so my wife has some pretty stuff to look at.

Yeah I know I should be out there. I just love the habitat work I get to do. I tell my wife I do this for the deer but really I hunt deer so that I get to do the habitat stuff.

The crabs and peaches are going to be planted in the back yard so my wife has some pretty stuff to look at.

Yeah I know I should be out there. I just love the habitat work I get to do. I tell my wife I do this for the deer but really I hunt deer so that I get to do the habitat stuff.
I was sort of thinking that way the other day myself. I thought....do I really do all this work for essentially 2 to 6 weeks of deer hunting? If I did/do...there is something wrong with me. Turns out there may still be something wrong with me...and I'm not just a hunter....but the hunting is just the icing on the cake.

Can’t pass up a good deal. Fruit trees were 50% off. I asked who in the world would by a fruit tree this time of year. I got the manager to sell them to me for $5.

I ended up getting 3 flowering crabs and 2 peaches for Momma. Snagged a couple moonglow pears for the wildlife.

I’ll work on fixing the roots before I plant. View attachment 21708

Great deal on the trees.
Those little fruit crabs are still great for pollinators and all types of "other" wildlife if you end up planting any not at the house. I've put a bunch of types of ornamental crabs in my shrub strips for birds in winter and some will have a little bigger fruit that deer will use along with bunnies and turkeys.

Great deal on the trees.
Those little fruit crabs are still great for pollinators and all types of "other" wildlife if you end up planting any not at the house. I've put a bunch of types of ornamental crabs in my shrub strips for birds in winter and some will have a little bigger fruit that deer will use along with bunnies and turkeys.
I planted them yesterday. They are in my yard and are maybe 35-40 yards from my first tree in my orchard. So I think they’ll still help for some pollination.

I dig the idea of putting them in the shrub strips. I have an area that I have been making into a shrub strip. It’s about 75 yards long. I’m waiting on on my order from the state to to really get it going. Lots of natural blackberry hazlenut and Elderberry. I have added yellow twig and silky dogwoods.

I guess I like the shrub strips because they remind me of growing up in PA and hunting rabbits out of them. I also remember being the human beagle tromping through them.

I planted them yesterday. They are in my yard and are maybe 35-40 yards from my first tree in my orchard. So I think they’ll still help for some pollination.

I dig the idea of putting them in the shrub strips. I have an area that I have been making into a shrub strip. It’s about 75 yards long. I’m waiting on on my order from the state to to really get it going. Lots of natural blackberry hazlenut and Elderberry. I have added yellow twig and silky dogwoods.

Shrub strips are fun projects, kind of a catch all for anything you would like to try out. When something works well I plant more of it in them.
I had the state help me with mine in the beginning and they were big into native crabs and malus sargentii I ended up with over a hundred of them mixed in my strips that were the size of pencils when planted now they are over four feet tall. They have clumps off little apples the size of a pea. I have other crabs mixed in that are quarter and nickel size along with some NWC. Deer just walk along browsing and bed in the strips, lots of bird action. Yours sounds like it already has a great start, mine was just row crops a few years ago. I put in ROD/silky dogwood/gray dogwood/purpleosier willow/elderberry/highbush cranberry/pinoaks/hazelnut/chestnuts/winterberry/chokecherry/white pine/white cedar and a bunch of crabs.
Bunny hunting is my all time favorite thing to hunt.

Shrub strips are fun projects, kind of a catch all for anything you would like to try out. When something works well I plant more of it in them.
I had the state help me with mine in the beginning and they were big into native crabs and malus sargentii I ended up with over a hundred of them mixed in my strips that were the size of pencils when planted now they are over four feet tall. They have clumps off little apples the size of a pea. I have other crabs mixed in that are quarter and nickel size along with some NWC. Deer just walk along browsing and bed in the strips, lots of bird action. Yours sounds like it already has a great start, mine was just row crops a few years ago. I put in ROD/silky dogwood/gray dogwood/purpleosier willow/elderberry/highbush cranberry/pinoaks/hazelnut/chestnuts/winterberry/chokecherry/white pine/white cedar and a bunch of crabs.
Bunny hunting is my all time favorite thing to hunt.
Sounds like great diversity.

Collected persimmon seeds fall of 17. Grew from seed and planted 35-40 persimmons. I planted in late summer of 18.

This tree was by far my best tree. 4th year in the ground and is over 8’. I checked today and we have girl.

Earlier this spring I had scion in hand and was going to top work it to a known female. I had swapped Scions with another member here.

I grafted 4-5 smaller ones but decided to hold off on this one and give it one more year.

Glad I put the the snips back in my pocket.

It has 2 persimmons on it and they may or may not even get pollinated but damn so rewarding seeing something I’ve grown from seed to finally put out some return

Attachments

• 0A846CDE-C839-48F7-BB38-3F55DFFF7B1A.jpeg
    0A846CDE-C839-48F7-BB38-3F55DFFF7B1A.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 10
Planted this deer magnet persimmon 2 years ago. 3 persimmons on it this year.

This tree is 20 yards from my brown from seed persimmon. Feels good having work and habitat work finally coming together.

Attachments

• 29495DFF-4B9A-4A91-A052-A8893A9FC21C.jpeg
    29495DFF-4B9A-4A91-A052-A8893A9FC21C.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 13
Topworked a Red Delicious apple over this spring. RD in my area is a CAR nightmare.

Changed it over to a Yates. I well known member on here says Yates is his favorite apple. Good enough for him good enough for me.

Can’t wait to see how this guy produces. I see a tiny bit of CAR on the leaves but most of my apples show a little.

Attachments

• 7CFF4C21-70F3-477E-BB46-5AE9977AFC69.jpeg
    7CFF4C21-70F3-477E-BB46-5AE9977AFC69.jpeg
    780.7 KB · Views: 12
Top worked this callery pear this year.

Changed it over to a comice pear. Should make some sweet pears in a few years.

Last year I stopped by the side of the road and threw a bunch of wild pears into a garbage bag. They were 2-3” hard pears similar to Dr Deer pear. (Recently I drove by where I got them and the tree has been cut down.)

I grew a bunch of the seeds out and planted the seedlings. Some are 4’ tall. I grafted Seckel, Red Blush Bartlett, comice and Giant pears. All have taken and doing well.

Attachments

• C60FCCC6-3ACA-44CC-966C-539EC4A9C3B3.jpeg
    C60FCCC6-3ACA-44CC-966C-539EC4A9C3B3.jpeg
    720.1 KB · Views: 9
Very nice, you aren’t far from me. I’m in king william about 5 miles outside of West Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, you aren’t far from me. I’m in king william about 5 miles outside of West Point.

Good to meet ya.

I’ve been watching your thread since you joined. Nice looking place you have.

Before we bought our place we looked at King William. I like that area

Good to meet ya.

I’ve been watching your thread since you joined. Nice looking place you have.

Before we bought our place we looked at King William. I like that area

It’s nice, I’m in a club down here as well so all told I hunt about 3,000 acres within 10 min of my piece. But I only do any real habitat work on my 34 acres.

It’s nice, I’m in a club down here as well so all told I hunt about 3,000 acres within 10 min of my piece. But I only do any real habitat work on my 34 acres.

10 minutes away. That’s nice set up.

Nice updates on the land tour....and a big congrats on the grand daughter!