Tynimiller's Piece of Dirt...Property Thread

I may get creative if I don't remove fencing though to get apples/pears falling to shovel outward from trunk and past the fence for the deer. Seen a few designs some friends and clients have done that I may try...however I think between mice/squirrels/coons and such squeezing through the few that land within a foot or two of the trunk will get cleaned up most likely.
I doubt many apples get wasted....something will eat them.

Funny....if I envision what you are describing - I am thinking of a large inverted "cone of shame" that the dog gets from the vet! The tree trunk goes where the dogs head would be (only backwards) and the cone then reaches out over the protective fence. I have too much time on my hands......

You described it perfectly!!! I'll have to see if I can dig up a photo I took of his...incredible length and time that retired guy went to with his LOL. Granted he had fenced much wider than I do...he had about 4 feet from trunk center till the fence, that is about double the ground space under the tree than I have fenced.

If memory serves he at first made them out of wood/plywood...but he built them around the bases of the trees so the apples would fall and then get pushed/flow out through bottom of the fence that he had elevated once mature and dropping to about 2 inches high.

You described it perfectly!!! I'll have to see if I can dig up a photo I took of his...incredible length and time that retired guy went to with his LOL. Granted he had fenced much wider than I do...he had about 4 feet from trunk center till the fence, that is about double the ground space under the tree than I have fenced.

If memory serves he at first made them out of wood/plywood...but he built them around the bases of the trees so the apples would fall and then get pushed/flow out through bottom of the fence that he had elevated once mature and dropping to about 2 inches high.
Maybe instead of a "cone" something more like a "pyramid" would be easier to construct. Just use a wire fence panel and then cover that with say chicken wire. With a little planning and the like that may not be that big of a struggle. Where there is a will there is a way!

Yeah to be fair it was like a 8 or 10 sided pyramid and not a smooth cone type...but enough sides it seemed cone shaped described it better.

Yeah to be fair it was like a 8 or 10 sided pyramid and not a smooth cone type...but enough sides it seemed cone shaped described it better.
I got ya.....8 to 10 sided seems far more complicated than it needs to be. I may be an Engineer, but I also value simplicity!

Loggers set to come out any day now and log about 80-90 large cottonwoods in the southern 5-7 acres along the southern road. There are pines and maples as well, but he plans on coming back in the Fall to log for all the Northern acres pines and cherries and oaks and will just take them then....Once all done I can start sculpting that southern edge into a bedding option extension of the west side bedding area...will also be a small parking and pole barn spot picked out there too.

I moved this to Land tours.
( so if you go looking for it in native habitat it's not there) :)

Perfect! Thanks Bill!

Loggers set to come out any day now and log about 80-90 large cottonwoods in the southern 5-7 acres along the southern road. There are pines and maples as well, but he plans on coming back in the Fall to log for all the Northern acres pines and cherries and oaks and will just take them then....Once all done I can start sculpting that southern edge into a bedding option extension of the west side bedding area...will also be a small parking and pole barn spot picked out there too.
Hopefully it goes well for you. Logging has been the one thing I feared the most, but has brought the best results for me thus far. Took me a while to grasp the concept of removing trees to provide a better overall habitat for my needs/desires. Take a lot of pics.....both before they start cutting and after and then as things progress. You will "forget" over time and pics will really tell the tale.

Hopefully it goes well for you. Logging has been the one thing I feared the most, but has brought the best results for me thus far. Took me a while to grasp the concept of removing trees to provide a better overall habitat for my needs/desires. Take a lot of pics.....both before they start cutting and after and then as things progress. You will "forget" over time and pics will really tell the tale.

Yup videos and pictures will track the whole process. Cannot wait to get the mature timber down and tremendous growth spring forth!

Bill noticed still appears to be in "native" is this something I need to change?

That's odd. Must not have have hit save...
Should be good now.

Well this warm spell cancelled the logging for the spring unless it freezes up again, as the section on the south side of the property gets flooded fast in the thaws and all this rain increased that. We shall see what happens moving forward...may have to have everything logged in the winter.

Well this warm spell cancelled the logging for the spring unless it freezes up again, as the section on the south side of the property gets flooded fast in the thaws and all this rain increased that. We shall see what happens moving forward...may have to have everything logged in the winter.
They won't do it in the summer?

They won't do it in the summer?

I think they would, however the Pine buyer wants everything in the Fall and not before. No clue why, but if they cannot get the southern 7 acres done before thaw they might as well make it a one trip type thing in the Fall.

I told them it is entirely up to them, if the southern section dries out good they could log in summer the southern cottonwoods and maples still.

Interesting about the pine.....I don't have pine, and thus have never had it logged. Wonder why the fall cutting for it? I agree that if they are going to wait, then doing all at once would make the most financial sense....moving the equipment only once. If they do come out twice make certain you have a legal agreement with them for the second portion of the trees. I know some loggers have screwed folks over in the past and cut the good timber first and then the weather changed and they claimed they couldn't get back around to get the lower value stuff that really needed to go and stuck the landowner with a high graded woods that was too small or such little value to interest other loggers. Just cover your butt if they want to make 2 trips. Make sure you get a lot of "before" pics of the area to be logged as you will be surprised at the difference as year after year passes afterwards.

Interesting about the pine.....I don't have pine, and thus have never had it logged. Wonder why the fall cutting for it? I agree that if they are going to wait, then doing all at once would make the most financial sense....moving the equipment only once. If they do come out twice make certain you have a legal agreement with them for the second portion of the trees. I know some loggers have screwed folks over in the past and cut the good timber first and then the weather changed and they claimed they couldn't get back around to get the lower value stuff that really needed to go and stuck the landowner with a high graded woods that was too small or such little value to interest other loggers. Just cover your butt if they want to make 2 trips. Make sure you get a lot of "before" pics of the area to be logged as you will be surprised at the difference as year after year passes afterwards.

Yup, chronicling it all for my site and page. My parents logged their small woodlot recently and it is just amazing the difference it makes so quickly in herbacious vegetation explosion.

As for the pine, the logger (an Amish guy my pops used for his logging) said his buyer is a local builder which preps all the logs in the fall for the next building season in the Spring and doesn't desire to be gathering them till Fall/Winter time. I know the Cottonwood buyer is a large pallet/crate builder and he wants it asap so I suspect that section will get logged as soon as water table allows (either freeze or dry in summer).

Yup, chronicling it all for my site and page. My parents logged their small woodlot recently and it is just amazing the difference it makes so quickly in herbacious vegetation explosion.

As for the pine, the logger (an Amish guy my pops used for his logging) said his buyer is a local builder which preps all the logs in the fall for the next building season in the Spring and doesn't desire to be gathering them till Fall/Winter time. I know the Cottonwood buyer is a large pallet/crate builder and he wants it asap so I suspect that section will get logged as soon as water table allows (either freeze or dry in summer).

I remember when I logged my place the first time to get rid of the lower value trees that where dominating the canopy. I seriously was sick to my stomach. I thought I had really screwed up. I thought I had done long term damage to my woods. I really thought I was a terrible habitat manager! That was during and right after the logging. That following spring....I felt a lot better and that fall I was feeling pretty good. The following year....I felt like a damn genius! My only regret was not having more "before" pics. I have since had a second cutting and look forward to the next. Logging has to be one of the 2 best habitat projects I have even done. Wish I had done it years before.

As for your timber buyers and the like....they know what they are doing so as long as you don't get hit with eating the cost of having the equipment moved twice....then it's all good. A chainsaw can be a deer's best friend!

Yup I utilize this Amish guy as he is a small operation and operates even with horses sometimes. Already have a roadside staging area prepped so cost to me is going to be very minimal thankfully!

Ty, was just checking out your web site. I like the videos and the podcasts. I have flagged it as a favorite for now. Look forward to seeing more, if you are still going that route. Sounds like you are involved with other media outlets as well. I need to check out the FB page as well.

On your 22 acre property you seem to embrace the bush honeysuckle you have. I realize you are working with what you have, but do you have any plans to try to move towards a more native plant based bedding area/sanctuary? Have you implemented the bedding in a bag? My switchgrass planting was actually that product, but only the switchgrass really did anything.

I liked the food plot pod cast as well.