Waterhemp in food plot

wango tango

5 year old buck +
I've got a bad water hemp problem. My soybean field is overrun with it. I'm wanting to formulate a plan for dealing with this. I'm going to rotate to try to smother with cereal grains/clover and 2,4DB. My plan is to let the field go this year so I at least get some bean pod production. Herein lies my question - is it worth letting the Waterhemp go to seed knowing I'm going to use an herbicide it works ok? Or should I just terminate and plant a fall cereal crop?

I hate the notion of spending $400 on a plot I cant use, but such is life sometimes.

How easy is Waterhemp controlled using the 'right' herbicide(s)?

Waterhemp has become resistant to some herbicides in many areas, particularly gly. I would personally not let it go to seed, as it can produce seed prolifically(see the example from the NDSU website...Waterhemp can easily produce 300,000 seeds per plant and produce 1.5 times more seed than other pigweed species of similar size. A waterhemp plant in Iowa was documented to produce almost 5 million seeds per plant. Seed can remain viable in the soil for at least 4 years and high seed production can cause rapid changes in population density). Also, it should be controlled before it reaches 4" in height, because any bigger and all herbicides become less effective. Sorry to say it, but I would do whatever it takes to kill it off now, but that is just me...

I agree ^

If it looks bad from the surface already. There is probably more that is just ready to break the canopy an be visable soon.

If your end result is a poor stand of beans that carry little value, might as well count your self out the $400 now an start with a fresh small grain crop, an not be fighting an even tougher weed battle in the years to come.

Thanks guys. On a (sort of) positive note, the deer seem to be browsing on the waterhemp. So I got that goin for me (sarcasm).

Waterhemp is a sign that your soil is very low in phosphorous, and it is trying to correct that. I would let it grow so it can. Even if it goes to seed, it would be less likely to germinate in the future, after the current crop has decomposed and fixed your phosphorous deficiency. If you are dead set against it going to seed, I would wait until just before it does and then throw and mow your fall crop. To further help your soil you can add some phosphorous fertilizer, or use buckwheat for your summer crop next year.

My suggestions are an attempt to fix your soil 'illness', whereas spraying herbicide only treats the symptom.

Ive had my main corn/soybean plots in the same places for about 15 years. Never been an issue. About 3 years ago I saw this plant that stayed green and thriving after I sprayed. Today my plots are about 70% water hemp! Im blown away how aggressive is can be. I overseeded with rye very heavy this past fall in one plot hoping that would help. That plot actually is the worst now with water hemp once the rye was killed.

I think im going to be switching to Liberty next year. Doing it the way I always have is obviously a thing of the past. I feel your pain.

I had the same problem with pigweed this year in 2 bean plots. I just couldn't let the pigweed go to seed and fill my soil with millions of seeds to have to deal with for years. I burned both plots down with 2-4D, beans and all and just replanted beans yesterday. Here is the before and after pics of the plot, everything between the beans is pigweed...correction was pigweed that is now toast. I would do it again in a second.
west plot6-17.jpgburn down july 8th.jpg