Summer food plot blend

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
This is a curiosity question. I’ve had good success with my food plots for the purposes I’ve used them for. They’re hunting plots. I basically started with the LC cereal grain mix and have continued to use it with good results in spite of weather and it’s unpredictable nature. While I’ve had to overseed cereal rye a couple times I’ve always ended up with good plots to hunt over. The deer have some food for the winter and into the early spring. My clover trails And the medium red clover provide spring and summer forage until it gets too hot and goes dormant. I’ve thrown down some buckwheat on several occasions too and it’s worked out mostly okay.
So my question, I’d like to consider a summer blend Food plot mix this year. I’m looking for options and potential suggestions. I know I don’t need to do anything different. It’s more of an experiment really than anything else.

I’ve got about an acre and a half to play with and if it doesn’t work it’s no big deal. I’d like to try a buckwheat, iron clay cow pea, soybean mix or something along those lines. What would be some suggestions, blends you’ve used, how many pounds per acre of each seed etc…? I’m in Missouri so we can certainly have wet springs followed by long, hot, dry summers.

Again, I know I don’t need to do anything. I just want to have a little fun and try something different through the summer. I’ll go back to my old reliable cereal grain mix around Labor Day.

I would substitute sunflowers and milo for the soybeans. With that being said I’d lean on the light side with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My struggle is that anything I plant for summer, especially peas or sunflowers, never get past 4 inches before they are eaten.

I have tried sunflower for a couple years. They grew, to about 3-4”, then they were all gone in a week. I personally would t plant them again unless I made my plots bigger, like 5 acres, or if I fenced them off.

High deer numbers = perennial clover. Not sure where you’re at but Durana is as tough as any out there.

Low deer numbers = You can try a forage type soybean. I still think they’ll eat them to the ground but you said you just wanted to try.

This is a curiosity question. I’ve had good success with my food plots for the purposes I’ve used them for. They’re hunting plots. I basically started with the LC cereal grain mix and have continued to use it with good results in spite of weather and it’s unpredictable nature. While I’ve had to overseed cereal rye a couple times I’ve always ended up with good plots to hunt over. The deer have some food for the winter and into the early spring. My clover trails And the medium red clover provide spring and summer forage until it gets too hot and goes dormant. I’ve thrown down some buckwheat on several occasions too and it’s worked out mostly okay.
So my question, I’d like to consider a summer blend Food plot mix this year. I’m looking for options and potential suggestions. I know I don’t need to do anything different. It’s more of an experiment really than anything else.

I’ve got about an acre and a half to play with and if it doesn’t work it’s no big deal. I’d like to try a buckwheat, iron clay cow pea, soybean mix or something along those lines. What would be some suggestions, blends you’ve used, how many pounds per acre of each seed etc…? I’m in Missouri so we can certainly have wet springs followed by long, hot, dry summers.

Again, I know I don’t need to do anything. I just want to have a little fun and try something different through the summer. I’ll go back to my old reliable cereal grain mix around Labor Day.

I'm in zone 7a so summer is a slightly higher stress period than most winters here. I'm trying to do QDM (otherwise I wouldn't bother with summer). For years, I planted RR forage soybeans with a light mix of corn for summer. After a pine thinning, marestail came up from the seed bank and got into the plots. Gly for RR crops made it worse. The problem with most mixes is that between deer browse pressure and weed competition, they would get mostly wiped out before they got established.

I ended up going with a 50/50 mix of buckwheat and sunn hemp. Both like warm soil so I can plant them late. My fall cover crop covers early spring (PTT/CC?WR). They germinate and grow fast enough to out-compete much weed competition. Don't get me wrong, we still have lots of weeds, but they don't keep these from establishing. It has worked well for me.

I had to get between 5 and 7 acres when I was planting soybeans for them to get ahead of deer and canopy. I can plant these in lesser amounts and still get them to canopy.

Thanks,

Jack

High deer numbers = perennial clover. Not sure where you’re at but Durana is as tough as any out there.

Low deer numbers = You can try a forage type soybean. I still think they’ll eat them to the ground but you said you just wanted to try.
Agree - I have my logging roads planted in clover. I wouldn’t say I have high or low deer numbers. We have an adequate population for hunting considering we’re in a non ag area. My logging roads keep clover most of the year except for late winter and summer heat when it goes dormant. I’m really just wanting to experiment a little bit and have an excuse to to try something new. So if anyone has a blend they like I’d be happy to hear it. I’m intrigued by the green cover seed summer mixes, and while they’re not cheap they’re also not all that expensive - but shipping costs about as much as the seed.

From what I know of your place experimental stuff should be fun but don’t shoot for the moon. I wouldn’t eliminate all the clover to try something else if you need the clover during hunting season. Peas, beans, sunflowers on a small scale will literally only last days after sprouting.

If you do experiment with something don’t forget the exclusion cage. The cage will tell the true story.

From what I know of your place experimental stuff should be fun but don’t shoot for the moon. I wouldn’t eliminate all the clover to try something else if you need the clover during hunting season. Peas, beans, sunflowers on a small scale will literally only last days after sprouting.

If you do experiment with something don’t forget the exclusion cage. The cage will tell the true story.
Very good point. Exclusion cages are very eye opening!

Very good point. Exclusion cages are very eye opening!
Definitely not getting rid of my clover. I thinks it what is most consistent for me. And even after 6 years of plots I still keep
The exclusions cages out. It makes me fee
Good to know how much the deer really do utilize the plots.

This will really just be an experiment and maybe a way to see if I can improve my soil a little bit In the process. I’m still lightly discing as my plots are still fairly new in the grand scheme of things - but improving soil long term by using cover crops and doing less soil disturbance is in the back of my mind.

Agree - I have my logging roads planted in clover. I wouldn’t say I have high or low deer numbers. We have an adequate population for hunting considering we’re in a non ag area. My logging roads keep clover most of the year except for late winter and summer heat when it goes dormant. I’m really just wanting to experiment a little bit and have an excuse to to try something new. So if anyone has a blend they like I’d be happy to hear it. I’m intrigued by the green cover seed summer mixes, and while they’re not cheap they’re also not all that expensive - but shipping costs about as much as the seed.
Give green cover a call and see if they are still working on their "drop point" program. If they are, and there is one near you, you would likely cut the shipping cost substantially. I tried finding current info on their website but was unsuccessful.

You could add some chicory to go along with the clover. Chicory has a deep root that helps when it gets hot and dry. Clover and chicory work well together for me.

I am undecided myself as to what I will plant for my summer crop this year as well. I do know that it will include some of all the 4 main categories of plants for the best boost for my soil:

1) Grasses
2) Legumes
3). Brassicas
4). Non-Legume Broadleafs

Here is what is included in Dr Grant Woods Summer Blend:

Summer Release

He recommends planting it at 40#/acre if drilled or 60#/acre if broadcast.

There are no Greencover Seed shipping drop points near me that I am aware of so I will most likely mix my own like I usually do with seed that is more applicable to my region - 4b

For those who may be new to planting blends and soil building, you want to include a good variety of seeds in the blend. Monocultures of rye only or rye and clover can not compare to multi-variety blends for building nutrients and fixing Nitrogen for use by followup crops.

I'm in zone 7a so summer is a slightly higher stress period than most winters here. I'm trying to do QDM (otherwise I wouldn't bother with summer). For years, I planted RR forage soybeans with a light mix of corn for summer. After a pine thinning, marestail came up from the seed bank and got into the plots. Gly for RR crops made it worse. The problem with most mixes is that between deer browse pressure and weed competition, they would get mostly wiped out before they got established.

I ended up going with a 50/50 mix of buckwheat and sunn hemp. Both like warm soil so I can plant them late. My fall cover crop covers early spring (PTT/CC?WR). They germinate and grow fast enough to out-compete much weed competition. Don't get me wrong, we still have lots of weeds, but they don't keep these from establishing. It has worked well for me.

I had to get between 5 and 7 acres when I was planting soybeans for them to get ahead of deer and canopy. I can plant these in lesser amounts and still get them to canopy.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack. Curious on thevsun hemp buckwheat experiment went. Ty

Wow, this is an old thread.

Wonder If Someday Isle cn share his results from the 2022 season. Looking to change things a bit for this summer too. 3.7% organic matter in my soil, so I'm not too focused on making tons of rye thatch.

Does Crimson clover put out only 1 seed head a year? IF you mowed crimson clover like down to 6 inches in lets and would they make another seedhead and flower red. Always wanted a stand of pure crimson clover. Kind of a bucket list foodplot wish. Might vetch it up too maybe.

LEt's say roundup and seeded may 1st, then maybe mowed mid june and/or late july. Decent rainfall year for NY. Might substitute 2,4DB for mowing. Not sure if vetches would survive 2,4db. Think I'm on th border of a bad red aramath outbreak in my home foodplot.

Crimson clover big bor. What's the skinny about this on your bucket list. 3.7 OM I'm so jealous. I'm at .9. Ughhh