Vintage Cider Press

Mozark

5 year old buck +
My grandfathers cider press, not sure how to clean it up or restore to a usable condition. I have a lot of fond memories from childhood, making cider with family. Any thoughts or ideas? Don't have a lot of money to throw at it, my free time is pretty limited. I would like to use it for a few years while my orchard is still young.

20231118_131612.jpg20231118_131637_1.jpg20231118_131630(1).jpg

You may get a variety of responses, some far more informed than mine. I anticipate the gear system uses some type of felt or leather oiler. Once it is cleaned up (Murphy’s oil soap), figure out how to ensure all moving parts are lubricated. I would replace the cool wood barrels with staves with something more “modern” until they could be property restored or use some type of liner. Find whatever information you can get on the internet about this press. It is a really cool piece, and one that comes with priceless memories. Old pieces like this are special, so don’t force anything that does not work or move as it should. Keep us informed on the process!

My grandfathers cider press, not sure how to clean it up or restore to a usable condition. I have a lot of fond memories from childhood, making cider with family. Any thoughts or ideas? Don't have a lot of money to throw at it, my free time is pretty limited. I would like to use it for a few years while my orchard is still young.

View attachment 59954View attachment 59955View attachment 59953
Very cool piece. That thing looks like it was built to last forever. I can't see anything that would break on it. Looks like it just needs a good cleaning/ sanding. Oiled up with a food grade oil?

Very cool piece. That thing looks like it was built to last forever. I can't see anything that would break on it. Looks like it just needs a good cleaning/ sanding. Oiled up with a food grade oil?
I think that is probably the best thing to do. Plan on bringing part of it home over christmas to get started on, especially the baskets. I have no idea if the wood slats are still solid.

My tip, keep your fingers out of the gears 😃

Nice old cider press I’d cleaning it up a bit and use it as is unless there is something rotten or broken. On new ones they use a thick one part epoxy that I don’t really recommend it’s difficult to use just polyurethane on all the wood parts not in direct contact with the apples. On the press plate and baskets mineral oil from the pharmacy should work if you’re worried about the poly being in contact with the apples. The mineral oil could likely also be used as a lubricant if you feel some is required. I generally don’t use anything as a lubricant on mine but I only break it out every few years and press a batch or send it to school with one of my boys with a pickup load of apples so the kids can try their hand at making cider.

Could get another press cask. Not sure what they call it. Maybe what they do to restore butcher blocks can be done to that. Making another cask looks pretty easy to do. Likely used oak.

Used to build wooden dinner cruise boats for a shipyard like 20 years ago. They have FDA grade epoxy resin. Would be fine to use for cider. Might just wash surfaces with soap and water before and after use.

Far as lubricants for the gears go, they made FDA approved oils and greases. Very common. I work in hydro power and biodegradable lubricants are required in gates, trash rakes, and anywhere where lubricant can easily get into the water system. Looks like there's holes for grease fittings.

Saw the same exact setup for sale on facebook here in NY. The seller said it could be motor or hand powered.

Perhaps a local old time power association might be able to help you with what they would of used to preserve the wood. Concerned over any oils in your cider, just get a container with a drain valve. Oil will settle to the top.

I use mineral oil on cutting boards

Looks neat we don't have those in Kansas,I bet theres a forum out there for antique cider presses.

Looks neat we don't have those in Kansas,I bet theres a forum out there for antique cider presses.
I will check

Looks like Smokstak forum may have some good info, from looking for a few minutes.

I have one about identical to it that one that was my wife’s grandparents from SE Kansas.

I have one about identical to it that one that was my wife’s grandparents from SE Kansas.
If you get a chance post some pics, I would enjoy seeing it.

It’s not the one we use and is in poor condition but tomorrow if I think about it I’ll get some photos.

It actually came apart fairly easy, it will need new legs made. Everything else is in fairly good shape.20231224_135544_HDR.jpg20231224_135550.jpg