Those that grafted last year

SmallChunk

5 year old buck +
I am saying this in advance, sorry I forgot to take photos!

I was just curious if those of you that grafted last spring have been out to look at your grafts yet?

I planted three of my trees and buried the root trapper on the other three. I headed all of them back this evening and was wondering who is did this? After heading mine back, it looks like all except one has made it through the winter. That was my chestnut crab that I had buried in the root trapped. It didn't seem to have much green in the cambium layer, but we shall see!

Just wondering what everyone else is seeing! Man it felt good to be in the orchard in this weather!

I haven't made it back to my orchard in over a month. I do plan to take a walk back there in the next couple days as I still need to prune the dead wood off my honeycrisp, and once I'm that far, it's flat land over to the orchard. :)

I'm lucky in that it's just a 5-10 minute walk to my apple and pear trees. Being retired :D I look in on them probably 5 times a week now that the weathers gotten nicer. All the trees that I grafted last spring and planted last fall show nice green in the cambium layer when I headed them. All my limb grafts are looking good too. Right now I'm visualizing where I'll be planting more tree this year :) and planning on putting my new dozer to work clearing more ground to expand my orchards :eek:.

I didn't prune any of my grafted trees yet but I do have bud swell on all but 2 trees so far I planted all my grafted trees except 3 in the ground I left the other 3 in my garage over the winter in root trappers but I am fearful that they may have frozen in there The dirt is like a concrete ball in the root trapper :(

I think I messed up since I did not get my root trappers buried. I was out of state hunting when the cold hit in November so I was late to the party. I did head them last weekend just in case they survived and will look at them tonight to see if there is any green showing.

I have the same question. Why head them back if they are not being transplanted and are in their final location?

Does heading them back stimulate laterals at a low level on the tree?

I guess I figured that I should cut them back a bit due to their lack of roots at planting? Just what I read I guess. Plus when I got all my trees from cummins they did the same. Figured I should do it!

I was going to head mine, but decided to let them go instead.

They have good root structure now and more whip will allow more leaves without trying to push more branches. I pruned them back multiple times last year to promote height growth. This year I'm letting them be until winter returns.

Does anyone have pictures of planted grafts? Or tips about how to plant? I am planning to do 25 this year and was planning to put them in a row in the orchard about 2-3 feet apart. I have planted lots of big trees, but need some advice on how to baby the grafts.

Does anyone have pictures of planted grafts? Or tips about how to plant? I am planning to do 25 this year and was planning to put them in a row in the orchard about 2-3 feet apart. I have planted lots of big trees, but need some advice on how to baby the grafts.

Ideally plant them in a location that is somewhat sheltered from the wind if possible, as well as where you can water them regulaly if needed as well control the weeds. Protect them from rabbits!