Will grafts be affected by cold?

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
So I am new to this grafting business and was wondering about grafts surviving a cold snap. I grafted 4 scions onto existing apple limbs last week and now the temp is supposed to dip below freezing (~30 I believe) for the next 2 mornings. Do I need to protect them in any way or do I need to? Also, should I hold off on grafting more (I have a few pear scions that need grafted onto my existing pear trees) until it warms up. This appears to be the last of the below freezing weather for my area. IMG_8817[1].JPG

I have a couple I grafted in pots last weekend. I’m taking those into the garage tomorrow night. I have one regraft I will cover with a 5 gal bucket. All the rest will be in their own and I’ll hope for the best.

I think grafts are more susceptible to dehydration than to freezing temperatures. Wrap them good and tight and they should be fine.

Hardly an expert on grafts, but mine made it through a couple hard frosts recently with no problem.

I think grafts are more susceptible to dehydration than to freezing temperatures. Wrap them good and tight and they should be fine.
I wrapped them really tight with parafilm a couple times around the graft site and tied it off with a couple tight knots.

Well don't know about the cold affecting the grafts as tonight will be the coldest night till next fall, but wondering about blood? As I was just making the cut for the last graft this morning, the knife slipped and got me....3 stitches later and we are good to go...be careful with those sharp tools everyone! To note, I finished the graft while holding my blood-soaked hand up in the air and even put the supplies away before going inside for help...probably gonna label that one as "Bloody Bosc" on the tag...

Well don't know about the cold affecting the grafts as tonight will be the coldest night till next fall, but wondering about blood? As I was just making the cut for the last graft this morning, the knife slipped and got me....3 stitches later and we are good to go...be careful with those sharp tools everyone! To note, I finished the graft while holding my blood-soaked hand up in the air and even put the supplies away before going inside for help...probably gonna label that one as "Bloody Bosc" on the tag...
Hey Derek. I’m pretty new to this grafting too.

I think I would wrap the whole scion in parafilm. Until it gets a blood supply it will be prone to dry out.

Hey Derek. I’m pretty new to this grafting too.

I think I would wrap the whole scion in parafilm. Until it gets a blood supply it will be prone to dry out.
the blood supply may have begun to have been provided by the top of my left index finger :)

the blood supply may have begun to have been provided by the top of my left index finger :)
If doing a cleft graft, I hold the blade in my right hand, but use my left thumb to push down on the blade. This way when my thumb stops at the top of the split, the blade also stops.

Yep that’s what I was doing kinda wiggling the blade back and forth like Prof Kent and others have mentioned but the branch was about top of my head high and I was using my left hand to steady it (while rushing to finish and get to work) and then all of a sudden there was just pain and blood…

Got 6 apple/crab/pear grafts done last night…looks like the temps might dip to around freezing but not into the 20s anymore and a lot of my trees are getting some smaller leaves on them..hope the paradigm holds up!IMG_0867.jpeg

That's a long graft!

haha just went a little on each side with the parafilm!