The Land of Milk and Honey

Thanks, Cat! Biggest headache now is I am on a list for the local NWSG drill from the NRCS. Was supposed to get it early March to plant my buffer strips. Someone is sitting on it. We are due for a new kid any day now. I had hoped to get it planted before that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on the new kid! The stork will show up at exactly the wrong time. Likely right before they call to let you know you can pick up the drill.
Good luck with the birth and congrats again!

Will they not call him so you can get it?What are you planting

Will they not call him so you can get it?What are you planting
Hey! They got ahold of him, but it went to the next person in line. He just sat on it long enough that it set everyone back a couple weeks. I have a mix of big and little bluestem, indiangrass and switchgrass going around the edges of my plot.

They make hydraulic multiplier kits if you want to add a set of remotes. Not as cheap as barley pops, but some guys can drink a lot of beer! Good luck with the baby!

They make hydraulic multiplier kits if you want to add a set of remotes. Not as cheap as barley pops, but some guys can drink a lot of beer! Good luck with the baby!
I put one on my Kubota so that I could have rear remotes. I think it set me back $500 but it was simple to install. Should have had them put on when we bought the tractor but wasnt thinking that far into the future at the time.

Is it for a CRP program or totally your choice?I would do switch if you can and you can broadcast or drill it with a regular drill.Stands alot better than big blue

Choice. I’m trying other areas of solid switch. I may end up doing more of that, but I’m a fan of diversity. Going to broadcast some forbs in it too.

The forbs are nice for a few years but all mine were smothered out by NWSG.The forbs deal was why I canceled out of renewing my CRP,It was going to cost me more every two years for forbs seed than they were paying.American Meadows seed produced well when we had good rain

Sprayed part of the hillside with 2.75 oz of Gly/ gallon and 3 oz of AMS in a backpack sprayer. Sprayed about half of it. Gly is sooooo slow.
c7f0efa84406d600b2dec14b11eccc45.jpeg

I had great success with the gly on the downy brome. I can also see where I missed. I should still have plenty of time for a couple more applications on these cool season grasses to let the switch have a chance.
IMG_2574.jpg

Are you going to put down any atrazine or anything else?

Are you going to put down any atrazine or anything else?
I bought simazine. I was planning to add that later. A couple challenges I have with that are it isn't bare ground and I have to figure out a qty/gallon since I will apply it with a hand sprayer. I mention bare ground because I thought I read where the simazine will act as a preemerge, but a lot of it will land on thatch.

They are sparking it up tonight! Probably a couple thousand acres. Big ranch by us is supposed to do a 10,000 acre burn this week yet.
cc9090aac031bd7ba8b7645de5a35fc8.jpg

Nice night for it with some FINALLY calm winds. Saturday also looks good, but I think I'll punt for this year.

Probably a nice night to go out look at fires.

I went to Manhattan today and it was one smoky SOB.

Burned some CRP tonight was really calm

Some idiot thought today would be a good day to burn. I guess 20+ mph winds didn't seem that bad 😠 They had to close the highway when it got away, jumped the highway and started burning the other side.

Yeah, today was not the day. I asked our Rural Fire what they do. They send a bill to the person who started the fire when they have to respond. Problem is, they don’t have any enforcement if they don’t pay. Frustrating. Last year there was some structural damage after a bonehead wildfire. The insurance companies made em pay. Sucks that’s what it takes…

They are sparking it up tonight! Probably a couple thousand acres. Big ranch by us is supposed to do a 10,000 acre burn this week yet.
cc9090aac031bd7ba8b7645de5a35fc8.jpg

Good lord, single landowner?