Spray and Drill seeds in one pass?

You won't see me mounting a sprayer on my drill any time soon....in fact, it will never happen.

The results seen in the video here have convinced me that while some seed is still likely to germinate if sprayed with Gly, a lot of the seed may not survive. I agree with those who say it is probably no big deal for large seed which is planted 1 1/2" deep but for small seeds like clovers and brassicas which are often on or very near the surface, germination may not occur if sprayed with Gly. You can still spray and plant on the same day, provided that the Gly has dried, but you won't see me planting first and spraying second anymore. Yes, I have done it in the past and maybe got lucky but I can definitely see where non-GMO seed can be negatively impacted by being sprayed.

Here is a link to a thread I posted on the Michigan Sportsman Forum on this issue a while back:

Glyphosate vs Seed Germination: Results

I've got to say after watching that video, it wouldn't pass peer reviewed studies, not even close.
Yep.....agree with you on the video test being less than scientific. Not sure I would do my own study much better than the guy in the video. Seems odd that one of the agricultural colleges doesn't do a study on this, to add some credibility to it. Still....I see enough evidence in this video to not drill and spray in one pass.

Yep.....agree with you on the video test being less than scientific. Not sure I would do my own study much better than the guy in the video. Seems odd that one of the agricultural colleges doesn't do a study on this, to add some credibility to it. Still....I see enough evidence in this video to not drill and spray in one pass.
I think that’s a benefit of having a drill though. Even your small seed will be pressed into the soil. I really think this is a non-issue.

Seems odd that one of the agricultural colleges doesn't do a study on this, to add some credibility to it.
The answer to that and probably most questions are: money

Monsanto has a lot of money...

The guy put seeds on bare dirt and sprayed them with gly at different concentrations and rates.

1. Nobody applies gly to bare dirt
2. The guy in the video sprayed gly mix directly onto seeds from inches away, not a real life application
3. If you drill or broadcast seed into standing vegetation and then spray, I think it is safe to say 95% or greater of the seed on the ground(or in the ground) won't get wet.

The experience I have with spraying after seeding was - broadcast seed into standing buckwheat, crush buckwheat which creates an extremely dense mat over seed, then spray. The fields turned out just fine although spotty in areas, and I attribute that to my coverage with a broadcast seeder. No different than any other broadcast application, spots will be missed or thin.

Probably all true Brian662....but why take a chance on spraying even 5% of your seed?

I think I will continue to spray with this...

IMG_5044.jpeg

and then drill afterwards with this...

IMG_3002.jpg

I think one of us should run a side by side test of these methods this summer......and video or photograph the results. 😉 (I've got a hunch that is gonna be me this summer.)

I really like the idea of running the drill and the sprayer in one operation as it would allow much more "creativity" in where I put the new food plot strips in my clover / rye plots. Not so much guess-work. I'd plant green into the existing clover/WR, followed by the sprayer nozzle doing it's thing with a mix of 2 Qt Glyphosate .......in a band that would just cover the drill width. Thus "nuking" the clover to give my brasica the opportunity they need to grow. Then come back later with my roller crimper to lay down the rye on the entire plot thus providing a great mulch. This technique would be great.....if indeed it is successful. The reason I want to plant "green" is to get my drill thru a heavy stand of rye and clover....rather than mat it down with the roller crimper first. (this is done allot by soybean farmers).

I've gotten allot of conflicting opinions from some knowledgeable folks here. How many here are actually operating a sprayer on a drill in this manner?......and can vouch "for or against" such a practice. (Geeze I like stirring the pot. 😁 )

The answer to that and probably most questions are: money

Monsanto has a lot of money...
Monsanto is owned by Bayer these days but yah, Germans have money too

I think you'd be ok. A drill with 2 seed boxes, the small ones I might be a bit worried about.

2 or 3 weeks before you do a large area, Run you drill in the small spot, like 25 feet, then get a hand sprayer and spray right over it. Think 1/2" or deeper seed no problems, 1/4" maybe a problem if soil is crumbly and not fine. Some folks run the small seed box loose over the area, those might be in for some trouble.

Far as this guys setup in that pic. I'd put the spray bar a foot or two more back, just so your not getting overspra on the press roller. Also, would make sure tank slosh isn't a problem and drips on a coulter.

If you plant big and small at same time with drill the big seed will push smaller up when it grows. You’ll see.

Also unless you have a tilled seedbed to drill into you will have some open trenches. If seed is pressed in bottom of trench it will grow great with open trench. And with first rain trenches will close. I actually think it allows rain to fill trench and help with germination.

All of that depends a lot on soil type / conditions. Sometimes I can see my slits half way through the summer still...

I'm building a cultiwhacker.... Making something fire a firminator with large and small seed boxes with 1 or 2 rows of discs, or c tine harrows with drop tube bolted to them., then a cultipacker at the end About 2.5ft a pass.

Would like to put a sprayer head on it, but thinking I got less soil coverage than the drill folks.

Saw this example on Facebook....and thought I would post it up here.

sprayer on tar river says.jpeg

I don’t love the idea of spraying corrosive gly anywhere near my nice new planting equipment!

I would really like to knife in liquid fertilizer but kind of the same thoughts on that! My new Woods seeder got delivered last week. Plenty of room for tanks on that thing…. Can’t claim I’m not tempted!

I don’t love the idea of spraying corrosive gly anywhere near my nice new planting equipment!

I would really like to knife in liquid fertilizer but kind of the same thoughts on that! My new Woods seeder got delivered last week. Plenty of room for tanks on that thing…. Can’t claim I’m not tempted!
I've never had any corrosive effects from GLY on my equipment. I doubt this would be a concern.

I haven’t either- but I do rinse stuff off after using. I might have imagined it but I remember something the “roundup ready” roller pumps being more expensive?

It would be really nice to be able to do what you are thinking about here. And maybe dump in a little fertilizer with the mix to be worked into the soil.

I haven’t either- but I do rinse stuff off after using. I might have imagined it but I remember something the “roundup ready” roller pumps being more expensive?

It would be really nice to be able to do what you are thinking about here. And maybe dump in a little fertilizer with the mix to be worked into the soil.
Roller pumps running 100’s of gallons of gly is a bit different than some overspray on painted metal. But I hear ya. Large scale farmers do this all the time with million dollar rigs, so my guess is it’s pretty safe.

That’s true! I do tend to over worry sometimes.

And now that I think about it, I have never bought the RR roller pumps. Have had to spray a little penetrating oil in them a few times but they seem to come back to life.