Spray and Drill seeds in one pass?

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
drill and spray.jpeg

Just saw this pic of a guy that mounted a couple of chemical tanks to the front of his Saya drill.....and applies chemicals to terminate as he seeds his new crop. Kinda liking this idea....and can see mounting my 25 Gallon Finco on the rear walkboards of my drill and adjusting the pattern to cover the width of the drill....which I also have seen posted somewhere. I think a mix of two quarts of roundup / acre would do a good job of terminating past crops.....and allow my brassica (or high biomass screen crop) to thrive. Kinda like this set-up......and would not spend a dime to get this into play.

Kinda like the idea of making "trails" of brasica and / or screen's in my clover plots. Could get pretty creative with putting in some screens. Tho I have read some folks feel that spaying seeds with roundup can be a problem. What say you?

Yea, I've toyed with the idea myself. Just afraid that at the ground speed I run, I couldn't carry enough volume of spray.

Yea, I've toyed with the idea myself. Just afraid that at the ground speed I run, I couldn't carry enough volume of spray.
Are you going "too fast"? Seems I do almost everything at 3.5 to 4 mph. I don't have allot of land to cover.....only 10 acres in plots....and some in trails.....that helps.

View attachment 50204

Just saw this pic of a guy that mounted a couple of chemical tanks to the front of his Saya drill.....and applies chemicals to terminate as he seeds his new crop. Kinda liking this idea....and can see mounting my 25 Gallon Finco on the rear walkboards of my drill and adjusting the pattern to cover the width of the drill....which I also have seen posted somewhere. I think a mix of two quarts of roundup / acre would do a good job of terminating past crops.....and allow my brassica (or high biomass screen crop) to thrive. Kinda like this set-up......and would not spend a dime to get this into play.

Kinda like the idea of making "trails" of brasica and / or screen's in my clover plots. Could get pretty creative with putting in some screens. Tho I have read some folks feel that spaying seeds with roundup can be a problem. What say you?
I've never had a problem spraying on top of seeds but in your case I definitely wouldn't worry about it with the seed drill.

I've never had a problem spraying on top of seeds but in your case I definitely wouldn't worry about it with the seed drill.
I hear several folks that say this.......and....then I read other things like this:

I hear several folks that say this.......and....then I read other things like this:

I mean... I guess you gotta do what you've gotta do. You can find all sorts of conflicting science out there if you want.
I just know what's been working for me and 2 qts/ac gly hasn't negatively effected anything from what I can tell.

I mean... I guess you gotta do what you've gotta do. You can find all sorts of conflicting science out there if you want.
I just know what's been working for me and 2 qts/ac gly hasn't negatively effected anything from what I can tell.
I may need to do my own tests on this approach this year. Wouldn't take long to see the effects on seeds. Inquiring minds need to know. grin.

I've toyed with building something like that but with the spray nozzles turned sideways and attached to the press wheel bracket on every other wheel. My thought is it might be an interesting way to plant turnips into clover and only terminate the clover in the thin row I'm planting the brassica's. More ideas then time 😁

as for planting then spraying. I do it every year. Plant one day and if I can spray the same day or the next at the latest. I get good beans..

Would be great if you could kill your weeds with gly

Doing more research and stumbled into this. Pretty well makes the case IMO. I dunno.....I'm not going to mount a sprayer on my drill unless I can see a positive result from someone.

as for planting then spraying. I do it every year. Plant one day and if I can spray the same day or the next at the latest. I get good beans..
The thing is tho Bill.....you likely plant your beans about 1.5" deep......where the clover and brasica are mostly on....or near the surface and therefore much more coated with the glyphosate. Big difference. I'm wanting to do this for brassica in clover / rye plots.....and it does not look promising to me. Beans....sure. Brassica.....nope.

On a Great Plains drill.....the seeds dropping out of that small seed box are scattered on top of the soil and then run over with a press wheel. Many of them as susceptible to being coated with any spray at that point.

Could be right. But I do plant my beans shallow. and in time you'll see that depending on the hills ( angle of drill) and the moisture in the dirt, sometimes rows don't even close. I've had rows of beans an inch down but exposed because the press wheel didn't do its job. It used to worry me, but after a few years I just pray for good rain and keep planting. more times then not everything works out.

But those pots don't look good. hopefully Fauci didn't post that pic.....🤣

Could be right. But I do plant my beans shallow. and in time you'll see that depending on the hills ( angle of drill) and the moisture in the dirt, sometimes rows don't even close. I've had rows of beans an inch down but exposed because the press wheel didn't do its job. It used to worry me, but after a few years I just pray for good rain and keep planting. more times then not everything works out.

But those pots don't look good. hopefully Fauci didn't post that pic.....🤣
Yep..... I've had those situations too....where the seed is exposed in the trench. Tho....I'd bet those bigger seeds are much more resilient than the smaller seeds.

I feel like I am in the "Twilight Zone" on this matter. Not 100% convinced one way or another. So....I will defer to the safe method at this point (not spraying seeds on top of the ground).....and see what more can be learned.

I might have to get two pots out and see...I've been of the opinion that liberty or gly did nothing to seed protected from it.
I was wrong "once" before, unless you ask my wife. 🤣

^ Yep.....I've already made up my mind......don't confuse me with the facts. grin. (I'm starting to feel like a "fact checker"...what a horrible feeling). 😉

Yep..... I've had those situations too....where the seed is exposed in the trench. Tho....I'd bet those bigger seeds are much more resilient than the smaller seeds.

I feel like I am in the "Twilight Zone" on this matter. Not 100% convinced one way or another. So....I will defer to the safe method at this point (not spraying seeds on top of the ground).....and see what more can be learned.
If you plant big and small at same time with drill the big seed will push smaller up when it grows. You’ll see.

Also unless you have a tilled seedbed to drill into you will have some open trenches. If seed is pressed in bottom of trench it will grow great with open trench. And with first rain trenches will close. I actually think it allows rain to fill trench and help with germination.

Doing more research and stumbled into this. Pretty well makes the case IMO. I dunno.....I'm not going to mount a sprayer on my drill unless I can see a positive result from someone.

I've got to say after watching that video, it wouldn't pass peer reviewed studies, not even close.

I’m still getting my drill figured out so trying to make things more complex and do it all in one pass is almost a guaranteed recipe for me to fook something up.

The other thing is when you’re digging in trenches to see how deep the seed is planted, do you really want to do so where you just sprayed 20 seconds prior?

Seems like a project best suited for year 2 after you’re well familiar with the new drill.

I spray and top sow japanese millet at the same time and get a good stand.