Seed Tags (required labelling)

BOB aren't necessarily bad IMO. Some BOB companies use seed coatings to aid in germination, or come preinnoculated - Not necessarily a bad thing for the average "spread and walk away" crowd. They also can be good if you find exactly the right mix you're looking for so you don't have to sit there like a mad scientist trying to mix up your own 1/2 lb here, 1/2 lb there concoction.. Convenient for anyone doing fractional acerage plots perhaps.

For seeding anything much above an acre, there are better ways to buy seed, as Jack mentioned.
I agree. The only think that I say was "bad" about them is the deception in the advertising. This is where seed tags come in. New folks just need to be smart enough to read them and ignore the advertising. Once they do that, if the convenience is worth it to them, they are the right niche customers for the BOB companies and can benefit from them.

I agree. The only think that I say was "bad" about them is the deception in the advertising. This is where seed tags come in. New folks just need to be smart enough to read them and ignore the advertising. Once they do that, if the convenience is worth it to them, they are the right niche customers for the BOB companies and can benefit from them.
Cav
Isn’t all advertising deceptive? I guess it’s all in the eye of the witness.

not to draw this off topic, but I guess I shoulda checked (or asked on here) what the actual seed label was for some whitetail institute products...
I did not know I was buying 33% berseem and like 11% ladino when I ordered the WI clover and about the same when I ordered their fusion product...
They both also have at least a 33% coating...so I paid alot of money for 2 lbs of seed...
I can order that stuff from other places for alot less than 40$/bag...now i know I guess..
33% and 11% - by weight. The actual seed count percentages can be much different. Just another complication to consider. Then there are the different purposes and life spans of each. Sometimes what seems like a ripoff is actually a well formulated blend. Then sometimes it’s a ripoff. I cannot tell the difference.

Cav

Isn’t all advertising deceptive? I guess it’s all in the eye of the witness.
yes, some is worse than others. That is the beauty of forums like this where the message is not one sided.

33% and 11% - by weight. The actual seed count percentages can be much different. Just another complication to consider. Then there are the different purposes and life spans of each. Sometimes what seems like a ripoff is actually a well formulated blend. Then sometimes it’s a ripoff. I cannot tell the difference.
It can be both at the same time. WI is a good example. They claim the inexpensive annual Berseem acts as sort of a nurse crop for their improved varieties and it does. If you plant perennial clover in the spring without a cereal grain nurse crop like many new food plotters do, the berseem acts as a nurse crop in their formulation. At the same time, it allows them to advertise their improved varieties describing their beneficial characteristics, and lower cost by putting very little in the bag.

For the small, and even more, inexperienced, plotter, it is a formulation and convenience. They feel like they have done a great job when they see the berseem take off quickly. For folks working at scale and planting in the fall with a WR cover crop, it is a ripoff.

It can be both at the same time. WI is a good example. They claim the inexpensive annual Berseem acts as sort of a nurse crop for their improved varieties and it does. If you plant perennial clover in the spring without a cereal grain nurse crop like many new food plotters do, the berseem acts as a nurse crop in their formulation. At the same time, it allows them to advertise their improved varieties describing their beneficial characteristics, and lower cost by putting very little in the bag.

For the small, and even more, inexperienced, plotter, it is a formulation and convenience. They feel like they have done a great job when they see the berseem take off quickly. For folks working at scale and planting in the fall with a WR cover crop, it is a ripoff.
First I should say I am in no way new to food plots, but kinda wanted to see what all the fuss was about with a BOB blend. (just to try them out to see if they were worth the hype).
I am frost seeding both the WI clover and WI fusion into an already established plot that now looks mostly like dirt but had some biennial clover and brassicas and a few perennials (aberlasting and alsike clover) seeded last fall. It has WR and WW too, so what I was hoping for with the WI products was to introduce some more perennials and chicory into the mix that could get some decent growth prior to me mowing the WR/WW.....it appears most of the mixes is actually annuals, which I was trying to avoid since they are already in the plot..next year I will just mix them up myself

Last edited:
First I should say I am in no way new to food plots, but kinda wanted to see what all the fuss was about with a BOB blend. (just to try them out to see if they were worth the hype).
I am frost seeding both the WI clover and WI fusion into an already established plot that now looks mostly like dirt but had some biennial clover and brassicas and a few perennials (aberlasting and alsike clover) seeded last fall. It has WR and WW too, so what I was hoping for with the WI products was to introduce some more perennials and chicory into the mix that could get some decent growth prior to me mowing the WR/WW.....it appears most of the mixes is actually annuals, which I was trying to avoid since they are already in the plot..next year I will just mix them up myself
It's convenient for small food plotters. Especially if you want to try something new. I have a small farm store than I can get some seed from but it's very basic stuff. Anything more exotic and they just refer me to their shelves of BOB. Not all BOB are the same in my opinion either. There are definitely some that are more reputable than others. Like WI, I feel like they have a quality product, it may just be overpriced. I like to buy BOB seed after the season is over at a discount and just save it for the following year.

Last edited:

I've been using some Aberlasting for a few years now and am pretty happy with it. Seems similar to Durana so far but is a bit more pricy. Time will tell if it worth the additional cost.

Thanks,

Jack

One more for Dan's pleasure.. :emoji_man_dancing:

Chic.jpg

More from Nixa hardware20220317_012127.jpg

That may be the first time I’ve seen seed sold with noxious weeds being found and listed. Bring a former landscape guy (and active food plot guy), I’ve been through my fair share of seed and don’t recall ever seeing noxious stuff being sold. Obviously it’s not the first time noxious weeds have been sold, but makes me a little leery of PlotSpike.
Plantain is something deere and wild game love. I harvest common and english plantain seeds and transplant them to harsh spots, like my clubs parking lot.

I do well with that mix. I noticed it has crimson clover, which i always wanted to do. I kept it mowed, so that why i never noticed the red heads on them.

Forage feast is my favorite blend so far. Nice mix of grains, pea, and clover/chicory. do excellent with it.

not to draw this off topic, but I guess I shoulda checked (or asked on here) what the actual seed label was for some whitetail institute products...
I did not know I was buying 33% berseem and like 11% ladino when I ordered the WI clover and about the same when I ordered their fusion product...
They both also have at least a 33% coating...so I paid alot of money for 2 lbs of seed...
I can order that stuff from other places for alot less than 40$/bag...now i know I guess..
They are expensive, but I have done pretty well with whitetail clover. I usually mix it in with the TSC forage clover mentioned previously. Or have done it with the local agway seed bin ladino, AG dutch white, and their AG medium red. They buy alot of seedway products. I think they have a good improved variety in the whitetail blend. It seems to last years, and produces seed well, even with frequent mowing. Every 2 or 3 weeks to 4-5 inches. A few years back I spread it in my lawn, weekly 3 inch mowings and it's still in there....

I've been lazy about adding borax to my clover plantings. But, I used to take a stick and break up the clumps in 2lbs/acre of borax soap, then split it up, some for each bag of lime or fertilizer I'd use. Some of my best stands of clover have been when I added boron to the soil. Turnips love it too. You can add it to your gly sprayings too.

I started it's own thread but it didn't get any traction on its own so it seemed fitting to include here.

If you guys received switchgrass that had dormant seed listed at 80% how would you react? That seems really high to me as I’ve saw other switchgrass listed as 1%
Curious as to how others view this.

They are expensive, but I have done pretty well with whitetail clover. I usually mix it in with the TSC forage clover mentioned previously. Or have done it with the local agway seed bin ladino, AG dutch white, and their AG medium red. They buy alot of seedway products. I think they have a good improved variety in the whitetail blend. It seems to last years, and produces seed well, even with frequent mowing. Every 2 or 3 weeks to 4-5 inches. A few years back I spread it in my lawn, weekly 3 inch mowings and it's still in there....

I've been lazy about adding borax to my clover plantings. But, I used to take a stick and break up the clumps in 2lbs/acre of borax soap, then split it up, some for each bag of lime or fertilizer I'd use. Some of my best stands of clover have been when I added boron to the soil. Turnips love it too. You can add it to your gly sprayings too.

Interesting.. I've always heard Boron is critical for soybeans (many farmers add Borax to their plantings), but never clover. Guess it makes sense.. Did some digging and this is what I found (via Oregon State Research):

1647528206890.png