Avery Labels + Aluminum Tags

R.E. Gould

5 year old buck +
As I'm sure many of you have, I've tried numerous different ways of tagging grafts. First year, I wired tags on too tight, and girdled a bunch of grafts. Second year, I put them on too loose, and many tags blew off. I tried nailing on handwritten aluminum tags, but the wind would eventually open up the hole enough so that the tag would come off. Handwritten labels on aluminum are impossible to read from more than a few feet away.

Avery 5520 Weatherproof Labels on inexpensive aluminum tags (Coolrunner brand on Amazon) seem to be a winner. The Avery labels go right through the printer like any other label. I use a ballpoint pen to write an impression into the aluminum, just in case the label comes off. The Avery labels coming off haven't been an issue though. I fold a piece of label (which is a tough plastic like material) over the aluminum to reinforce it, and either nail it on if the branch is big enough. If the branch isn't big enough for a nail, I create a wire loop, put it loosely over the branch, and then wrap the loop with Parafilm coated with Treekote so it stays on, but will pop off as the branch grows. For labels I'm nailing in, I fold the top over, so the nail goes through 2 layers of aluminum, and 4 layers of the Avery label.

For nails, I discovered that galvanized nails seem to kill the area around it. So I now use small coated panel board nails, which work great.

Attachments

• IMG_8550.JPG
    IMG_8550.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 55
Boy, the label look crisp and clear. Two quick questions.... the ink does not run or fade? I assume you drilled the hole through the folded end portion of the label? Good idea, thanks for sharing it.

Boy, the label look crisp and clear. Two quick questions.... the ink does not run or fade? I assume you drilled the hole through the folded end portion of the label? Good idea, thanks for sharing it.
No fading at all yet - I put those up March or April of this year. The aluminum is thin enough (roughly beer can thickness) that it is easy to nail through them.

I use Avery weather proof tags for my German Bearded Irises they last a surprisingly long time I think I’m on 3 years with little sign of fading. These are the label plates I use for my Irises

I've thought about doing the stamped brass dog tags for $1 each, they would last a lifetime.

Could put on them;

Variety
Rootstock
Date planted

Never had an issue or lost one and they are cheap off amazon