not party hunting ... poacher caught

Do you Minnesota guys have to sign your license? In Wisconsin we do. Trying to understand the i didnt know my relative bought me a license defense.

Do you Minnesota guys have to sign your license? In Wisconsin we do. Trying to understand the i didnt know my relative bought me a license defense.
Good point kabic, that argument would be pretty indefensible here in WI.

My retail license outlet requires everyone to sign their own license before they leave the store(likely one of the few who do it), but that still does not address the internet/mail to your door license purchases, you would have no way whatsoever to police that type of purchase.

It does not matter who buys and how many they buy , What matters is who is hunting in the field and in the case of party hunting to be legal all members of the party must be afield at the same time , What the op was about was not in any way legal party hunting . It was poaching in other words the person killing the animals was an unlicensed hunter

Old news several years ago afield meant able to contact each other easily , not by phone or radios , There have been cases where parties were apart one quarter mile and were not considered afield together and no its not defined , how far apart but that is not what the op started the thread with , its managed to morph into party hunting, what the op brought forth had to do with misuse of tags to poach deer. What is apparent is unlicensed hunters and fishermen have been stealing a resource with no regard for the laws already on the books . Those same people will continue to cheat no matter how the laws are changed .

Those same people will continue to cheat no matter how the laws are changed .

What if we cut their arms off when they got caught? Would they still illegally cross tag?

Yes, your tax dollars would buy him new prosthetic limbs because he wasnt read his Miranda Rights properly.

Yes, your tax dollars would buy him new prosthetic limbs because he wasnt read his Miranda Rights properly.

Well then I guess there is simply no reason to try and implement positive change.

I believe most people who cross tag illegally do so thinking they are legal. They think party hunting means just giving someone your tag. It's an education/legislation issue. I believe outlawing it completely will drastically decrease the illegal side of the equation

I believe outlawing it completely will drastically decrease the illegal side of the equation
No question....

I have a coworker who showed up at his deer camp last year and ONE GUY had 3 tags from relatives who were no where near deer camp.
Tough deal to turn in a guy who he has been friends with for many years. I wasnt there, so I dont know how the situation played out overall, but my coworker was pretty miffed about it after season when I talked to him.

I have no idea if the guy thought it was legal or not..... As a cop told me when I was snowmobiling through school property when I was about 14.....

"I didnt know I couldnt snowmobile there"

Cop said, "Ignorance is no excuse"

Never forgot it to this day.

Ignorance is considered an excuse, however ignorance is not a defense.

I believe most people who cross tag illegally do so thinking they are legal. They think party hunting means just giving someone your tag. It's an education/legislation issue. I believe outlawing it completely will drastically decrease the illegal side of the equation
Maybe there are two discussions going on here as I believe that the great majority of people that break the license laws do so knowingly and willfully , I don't think its a secret what legal party hunting is . Now if the party hunting law was changed I still think the great majority of current violators would still break the laws, Its greed plain and simple that goes back generations , most unlicensed violators know full well what is legal and don't care .

Probably. Many licensed violators do NOT know full well what is legal...and that is likely due to a culture here of filling every tag at all costs. Party hunting/crosstagging just fuels that culture

I can tell you for a fact that most landowners believe its their right to take as many deer as they want. They pay big property taxes on the land, why not! That is why when the DNR cut most down to one deer, the wifes all got tags.

I can tell you for a fact that most landowners believe its their right to take as many deer as they want. They pay big property taxes on the land, why not! That is why when the DNR cut most down to one deer, the wifes all got tags.
Or they don't even bother with tags ,, been going on forever and will not stop , I heard once don't know for fact that illegal-tag issues equal one third of the legal reported harvest, in other words a full 30 percent of harvest has a legal issue of some sort if facts were or could be sorted out .