Seed Tags (required labelling)

FarmerDan

5 year old buck +
Seed is a small miracle. We kick it around a lot. When you buy it there are many important characteristics to consider. Name & variety are familiar. There should be tag or a label on the seed package listing many important characteristics like % germination and more.

These tags/labels are required here in Virginia. It's a state (by state) law. I only know what a Virginia (and Maryland and Pennsylvania) tag looks like.

It would be instructive (if only to me) to see tags from other states (and Virginia and Maryland and Pennsylvania).

So, if have a bag of seed and want to humor me, snap a picture and include it here.

If you want to dive into regulations for labelling here's Virginia's (21-pages).
https://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/pdf/reg-seed.pdf

Thanks and Best Wishes!

I'll post up some MO tags when I get back to the farm. We should bump this thread in April.

I'll post up some MO tags when I get back to the farm. We should bump this thread in April.

I’m just panting corn and beans that I bought from the farmer. I do have some seed in the bottom of my freezer that I may can get to.

Will post mine in late spring

bill

These are some seed tags bought from a TSC store in Kentucky last September. These 4lb bags of the PlotSpike Clover Blend are usually priced at $16.99/ea. That comes out to be $4.25/lb.

20210912_160944.jpg20210912_161004.jpg20210912_161014.jpg

Last edited:
These are some seed tags bought from a TSC store in Kentucky last September. These 4lb bags of the PlotSpike Clover Blend are usually priced at $16.99/ea. That comes out to be $4.25/lb.

View attachment 41281View attachment 41282View attachment 41283
Did you have any luck with that? I bought a bag last spring and frost seeded it. It didn't do very well. I don't have much luck with clover though.

Did you have any luck with that? I bought a bag last spring and frost seeded it. It didn't do very well. I don't have much luck with clover though.
It did pretty well from what I could tell, but I just used them to top sow into existing plots with some of the same species. I just used them to keep the plots going. That's pretty much my method for plots. I just keep throwing seed at it and see what sticks. I do hardly any maintenance.

My annual order from northwoods whitetail in MI got delivered recently.

09712F24-3258-467D-ACB8-022B52F07FF3.jpegB0556C45-856F-485C-AA20-82BECC38FF2A.jpeg74EBB392-36E9-4AC9-A503-A1205579EC03.jpeg

Hearing good things about his plot screen HD.. post up a review and let us know how it does this year!

I'm going to be mixing my own cocktail this year to see if I can get it to stand longer - EW, BMR Sudan and Pearl Millet.

Hearing good things about his plot screen HD.. post up a review and let us know how it does this year!

I'm going to be mixing my own cocktail this year to see if I can get it to stand longer - EW, BMR Sudan and Pearl Millet.

Will do. I have a buddy near me who has had good luck with it. I don’t have a frame of reference to compare it to but will share how it turns out.

View attachment 41281View attachment 41282View attachment 41283
That may be the first time I’ve seen seed sold with noxious weeds being found and listed. Bring a former landscape guy (and active food plot guy), I’ve been through my fair share of seed and don’t recall ever seeing noxious stuff being sold. Obviously it’s not the first time noxious weeds have been sold, but makes me a little leery of PlotSpike.

That may be the first time I’ve seen seed sold with noxious weeds being found and listed. Bring a former landscape guy (and active food plot guy), I’ve been through my fair share of seed and don’t recall ever seeing noxious stuff being sold. Obviously it’s not the first time noxious weeds have been sold, but makes me a little leery of PlotSpike.
I wasn't too worried about those 2 since I already had them present and they're not going away, but yes, you do have to pay attention to the labels.

This is a seed tag from Barenbrug, and they're a pretty big operation.

1645550552188.png

And some RegalGraze Ladino from Cal/West:

1645550893323.png

Reactions: DJN
I wasn't too worried about those 2 since I already had them present and they're not going away, but yes, you do have to pay attention to the labels.

This is a seed tag from Barenbrug, and they're a pretty big operation.

View attachment 41425

And some RegalGraze Ladino from Cal/West:

View attachment 41431
If you already have them, then nothing to worry about! Lol As you said, just make sure to read labels to see exactly what’s coming in that bag. That’s what they are there for!

Tag from oats picked up yesterday nixa seed and hardware nixa mo

Attachments

• 7B6526CF-AD91-4D44-9BD1-32FEC52EE384.jpeg
    7B6526CF-AD91-4D44-9BD1-32FEC52EE384.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 23
Tag from oats picked up yesterday nixa seed and hardware nixa mo

Matt I buy from them all the time. Great place. All my rye, oats & AWP in my field came from them. Very clean seed..

Each state has different requirements for including noxious weed seeds on the label. What's a noxious weed is determined by some state agency. If weed seeds of the plants on the list are found then they need to be counted and the number per pound included on the label.

These are the 'official' noxious plants in Virginia:
The point being a noxious weed seed in Missouri might not so in Virginia - with all the seed labelling implications.
Your noxious seed just ends up on my label as 'other weed seeds.'
And, me - just me - if I saw a label that said zero weed seeds I'd say go back and look again.
Even then, 10 or 12 weed seeds per pound when a pound of seed means a couple hundred-thousand seeds...
Giant Salvinia
Tropical soda apple
Giant hogweed
Cogon grass
Purple loosestrife
Water spinach
Beach vitex
Wavyleaf basketgrass
Incised fumewort
Tree of heaven
Porcelain berry
Oriental bittersweet
Hydrilla
Mile-a-minute weed

Last edited:
not to draw this off topic, but I guess I shoulda checked (or asked on here) what the actual seed label was for some whitetail institute products...
I did not know I was buying 33% berseem and like 11% ladino when I ordered the WI clover and about the same when I ordered their fusion product...
They both also have at least a 33% coating...so I paid alot of money for 2 lbs of seed...
I can order that stuff from other places for alot less than 40$/bag...now i know I guess..

not to draw this off topic, but I guess I shoulda checked (or asked on here) what the actual seed label was for some whitetail institute products...
I did not know I was buying 33% berseem and like 11% ladino when I ordered the WI clover and about the same when I ordered their fusion product...
They both also have at least a 33% coating...so I paid alot of money for 2 lbs of seed...
I can order that stuff from other places for alot less than 40$/bag...now i know I guess..

Yes, that is one of the tricks some BOB seed companies employ. They do it under the guise of "cover crop" concept, but we all know it is much better to use cereal as the cover crop and plant in the fall. While some of their improved varieties may be great, the cost on a per pound basis is astronomical. Once you subtract out common clovers and coating and stuff and look at how much improved varieties you get for the money, it is shocking.

Having said that, it is fine for a guy planting a third of an acre for attraction. The total dollar amount is small. However. for folks working at scale for QDM, it becomes outrageous pretty quickly. When I compare WI, for example, to Pennington with Durana, while Durana is expensive compared to common clovers like ladino, but I can buy a bag of Ladino. I can't buy a bag of any of the WI improved varieties. It doesn't fit their marketing scheme.

Thanks,

Jack

BOB aren't necessarily bad IMO. Some BOB companies use seed coatings to aid in germination, or come preinnoculated - Not necessarily a bad thing for the average "spread and walk away" crowd. They also can be good if you find exactly the right mix you're looking for so you don't have to sit there like a mad scientist trying to mix up your own 1/2 lb here, 1/2 lb there concoction.. Convenient for anyone doing fractional acerage plots perhaps.

For seeding anything much above an acre, there are better ways to buy seed, as Jack mentioned.

A few more, not all mine.. Some older.

2A0A168F-567F-4CEF-B66C-0C550336103D.jpeg8E85FD71-E165-460C-BC5F-88F72200FE73.jpeg72B3A648-8DF7-44AA-8768-1A3422FA3BA7.jpeg

05B8F0DB-F9D4-4822-877D-C3811A77D19D.jpeg