Scott's habitat improvements

awesome cover! I love the comparison pic. keep the pictures coming.

This last weekend I went around and checked stands and replaced straps, on the way back I took some pics. The Emeerald Ash borer has killed a ton of trees in our woods but I think it is a blessing in disguise, the under brush has really taken off and it has released some smaller oaks.

Lots of trees that look like this. This tree won't make it another year.

Here's a oak that going to get released by the Ash that's dieing back left.

The canopy behing these dogwoods has opened up and they have really taken off the last couple years.
I hinge cut 30yds behind these.

Looks like I'll have to clean up around this oak.

This is one of my favorite tree stands in this big ole oak, good to hunt on those windy days because it doesn't move much.

Couple more pics from last weekend

We have quite a few apple trees around in fence rows etc., none have ever had anything done to them so that is going to be a prioity this winter, prune and cut out all the dead wood. Also I want to get some late dropping apples because it seems all the ones we have are gone by hunting season.

There is nothing on the ground because they have been cleaned up.

I have walked by this bush for years and didn't pay attention to it, I believe it to be a choke cherry.

Also got some of the trees I held back planted. Last fall I planted some American chestnuts and they didn't fair too well so I checked them again and used the tubes I had on them for these trees, also so Bur and Pin oaks there.

Looking great and I love that thick cover. That apple reminds me of the Striped June we grow here.

chokecherry=buckthorn???

I agree with Bur. Looks like buckthorn! Tear that baby out of there!

I agree with Bur. Looks like buckthorn! Tear that baby out of there!
Thanks! I appreciate the help, still learning on the species.

Earlier this spring when I was planting my miscanthus I planted a a 7' circle to put a ground blind in.

Just behind those trees is the crop field maybe 40yds easy in and easy out.

There is a trail by the last tree tube coming out of the wood to the plots. This isn't going to have a blind this year but maybe next, little more triming and I think this will work.

This is my haul over the weekend for acorns, the golf course I play is cut out of hardwoods and has a ton of oaks. I'm always looking for a oak that's loaded and I'll grab some for starting knowing that I'll never see them drop acorns but maybe my kids or grand kids will.

SWO and Burr on left Red and Pin on right

The black beans will be taken off soon

I hope this little guy makes it through the winter, pretty small for this time of year. he's in part of my LC cereal grain plot and it's coming along good.

Trying to get things wraped up before season and planted most of my trees todayI had in pots on the deck. I had most in Rootmaker 1gal pots. I ran out of tree tubes and all I had was 3' fencing so that will have to do till I get the tubes.

Bur oak grown from acorn. Quite the root system

Chestnuts, not quite the root system but they look ok.

The NW corner of our propety is quite a bit higher than the rest, this pic is looking east, cereal grains on the right and brassicas on the left. Each side of the plots there is couple acres of 2nd year switch grass.

The last couple mornings have been real foggy, 70deg days and 30-40deg nights.

nice looking trees you set out.

This is my haul over the weekend for acorns, the golf course I play is cut out of hardwoods and has a ton of oaks. I'm always looking for a oak that's loaded and I'll grab some for starting knowing that I'll never see them drop acorns but maybe my kids or grand kids will.

I hope this little guy makes it through the winter, pretty small for this time of year. he's in part of my LC cereal grain plot and it's coming along good.

so that's what you are doing when your looking for your ball
Out hunting right now and finally got a chance to look around this site , glad you told me about it Bob W

Great habitat Scott, I miss acorns and RootMaker's and stomping the brush so your pictures bring back great memory's! 1

so that's what you are doing when your looking for your ball
Out hunting right now and finally got a chance to look around this site , glad you told me about it Bob W

Ya I have a terrible hook so I only check out the trees on the left haha

Great habitat Scott, I miss acorns and RootMaker's and stomping the brush so your pictures bring back great memory's! 1

Thanks Paul!

Finally got out to hunt tonight and took a couple pics from the stand.

This is 2 yr old switch grass all the way to the trees in back, this is 5-6 acres

This is my miscanthus/ewheat screen from the air.

From the ground

The deer are starting to really hammer the brassicas.

Last edited:
A couple more pics from the stand this weekend.

Sunday night I watched 11 does and fawns eat on these plots for a couple hours.

Same stand looking NW, the row of tree in the back are the north fence line and we are trying to screen the nieghbors, the tree tubes are oaks, chestnut and hazelnut trees.

I watched several deer use the kiddie pool to get a drink. Not much water in our section so I hope I can get a pond dug in the near future.

Nice views from the stand!

This pic doesn't have anything to do with habitat but this is the view as I step outside of my polebarn. Kind of a dreary day here today.

I put a trail cam up over this plot a couple weeks ago and have many pics of them eating back and forth across my Dbltree rotation plots.

Also caught some blubirds.

I should have been out there a couple days ago and got a better look at this guy, we have a stand up and behind the camera. This the stand I shot the doe out of.

The color of the trees are awesom in that view from the polebarn!