Scott's habitat improvements

Happy planting today Scott! Things are looking great up there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

patience is needed on a lot of these projects'

Isn’t that the truth!
Looks good, I can see the red clover seed in that last picture. I never could figure out why red clover comes with a white coating and white clover comes with a reddish brown coating. Seems backwards :)

I went basic on the oaks this year and planted 25 each red, white and SWO also 25 each Arrowwood and Nannyberry and got them planted yesterday and also fertilized all trees.

The oaks were really good sized.

URRHG22.jpg

B8RJkwH.jpg

Nannyberry had decent roots.

jt5ECGz.jpg

I added some rye, wheat and oats to the clovers I spread and cultipacked it this will be let go until late Aug early Sept and planted to cereeal grains in the LC rotation.

DwRsQVh.jpg

Last years sorghum mix plot has left enough to do a throw a mow/roll for this years sorghum mix plot.

LQ5m3Rf.jpg

l7Abo1W.jpg

Emerald Ash boer has taken part of our woods, I'm not sure what would come up naturally so I've adding some oaks during my spring plantings.

mDWcIP3.jpg

fQ9tfmw.jpg

Man I’m glad I don’t ash. Or at least not much.

I added some rye, wheat and oats to the clovers I spread and cultipacked it this will be let go until late Aug early Sept and planted to cereeal grains in the LC rotation.

DwRsQVh.jpg

Last years sorghum mix plot has left enough to do a throw a mow/roll for this years sorghum mix plot.

LQ5m3Rf.jpg

l7Abo1W.jpg

Emerald Ash boer has taken part of our woods, I'm not sure what would come up naturally so I've adding some oaks during my spring plantings.

mDWcIP3.jpg

fQ9tfmw.jpg

Emerald ash borer is now within 50 miles of where I live. Not many ash trees here, but I have a lot of black ash on the north property.

Kind of like cwd. Not a thing you can do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of my trees came this week but I haven't had time to plant any plus the weather hasn't cooperated so late yesterday I made it out and got 50 planted and tubed 10 plus I overseeded a couple brasssica plots with red, crimson and ladino clover. Thursday I also tried my first shot at grafting 10 apple trees all on B118, 4 liberty, 4 Enterprise and 2 Arkansas blacks we'll see.

I planted all plugs yesterday, plugs are so easy to plant.

d7mTYTi.jpg

QH1fqv2.jpg

Things are just starting to bud out around here.

h20UVdi.jpg

Maples

8lzIjib.jpg

After 3yrs of planting on this hay field things are starting to grow above the grasses, they made a big jump last year.

AgObeew.jpg

X2PJ0cH.jpg

With a couple casualties.

lc4nfnR.jpg

Through the years I've stuck quite a few ROD cuttings in this low spot and this year I'm finally seeing some results, patience is needed on a lot of these projects'

XYJXfLW.jpg

MoxPkvI.jpg

This throw and mow rye plot is the only green right now.

C55NyHJ.jpg

MV1To5U.jpg

Vm1WCHP.jpg

I broadcast the clovers into these spent brassica plots that were pretty bare.

3XEUxWO.jpg

LJrpSFD.jpg

Still quite a bit of thatch in these brassicas from the rolled down rye.

Yac37IQ.jpg

Plans for today are getting my MDC seedlings planted and trees fertilized it's supposed to be near 60 deg.

That field will really start to fill in this year.

That planting bar looks like the one I bought from a former Mn forum member, Jim.

Apple grafting will soon keep you busy. I grafted 13 or 14 this year and I need to figure out where to plant them as I have room for about half...

That planting bar looks like the one I bought from a former Mn forum member, Jim.

Apple grafting will soon keep you busy. I grafted 13 or 14 this year and I need to figure out where to plant them as I have room for about half...

Yes Art, Jim Timber made that plug planting tool. I've wanted to try grafting for awhile.

Yes Art, Jim Timber made that plug planting tool. I've wanted to try grafting for awhile.

I am going to pull some volunteer spruce as soon as the frost is out and plug them in. See how it works out.

My wife recieved some flowers and the flowers had curly willow in the arrangement, after the flowers had died I took the willow and put them in water and they all took off. I looked on line and there is a bunch of curly willow out there so I bought some cuttings and I'm starting them in pots and keeping them this summer at the house and planting them out this fall.

ICwrMFQ.jpg

UJusy2z.jpg

Also I have some common apple seedling plugs from U of Idaho I potted and I'm keeping over the summer.

HRSAKTB.jpg

Slowly coming alive here.

nvn3MjD.jpg

02Nyza2.jpg

A few trail cam pics.

BIqmkeF.jpg

u51ivMo.jpg

First antlers

RF2m0Pm.jpg

jF6992G.jpg

Looks good Scott....you going to get after one of those turkeys?

Looks good Scott....you going to get after one of those turkeys?
I didn't apply for a turkey tag this year, I'll have to see if they have any OTC tags.

My wife recieved some flowers and the flowers had curly willow in the arrangement, after the flowers had died I took the willow and put them in water and they all took off. I looked on line and there is a bunch of curly willow out there so I bought some cuttings and I'm starting them in pots and keeping them this summer at the house and planting them out this fall.

ICwrMFQ.jpg

UJusy2z.jpg

Also I have some common apple seedling plugs from U of Idaho I potted and I'm keeping over the summer.

HRSAKTB.jpg

Slowly coming alive here.

nvn3MjD.jpg

02Nyza2.jpg

A few trail cam pics.

BIqmkeF.jpg

u51ivMo.jpg

First antlers

RF2m0Pm.jpg

jF6992G.jpg

My cuz gave me a curly willow plant and it died back every winter. Maybe this winter finished it off, time will tell.

I planted a few twisted willow cuttings years ago. Like 10 or 20. Deer ate everyone to the ground. The only one to survive is still only about 5 foot tall and gets eaten every year.

I got most all the Mg clusters and rhizomes planted mostly on a new screen but some in switch for bedding.

Things are starting to leaf out, I might have some Shenandoah pears this year for the first time.

Shenandoah pear

PRchqSG.jpg

Kieffer pear

7T2CYU0.jpg

Honeycrisp apple

EUBZzZZ.jpg

THis is what I plant some MG in for bedding.

4XJInlD.jpg

Fruit looks great!
Everyone is way ahead of me. Doesn’t look like I’m getting to any spring work in this year.
I’m hope to make it for late beans in early June. Life is getting in the way of fun....

I got my sorghum mix planted planted TnM style yesterday also mowed my alfalfa/clover plot.

n5FH3Hh.jpg

Before

uSltxKb.jpg

After

JJzYfde.jpg

JsnWd3j.jpg

Lost a fawn to a coyote.

lFiKK4A.jpg

A few trail cam pics.

E6Ux5sc.jpg

cZPWWrX.jpg

o61p4aA.jpg

K4IMU6N.jpg

kPSBOdL.jpg

How many times per summer do you need to mow the alfalfa/clover?

How many times per summer do you need to mow the alfalfa/clover?

I usually mow it twice but that depends on the moisture in the soil it could only be once.

Not much going on here, had a doe hit almost in front of our house the other night.

cIS02Fe.jpg

Bet you can't tell where I fertilized the conifers.

c4Yym5V.jpg

IyRwYRe.jpg

MG is lagging behind like everything else this spring.

K97z6KE.jpg

Late April I broadcast oats, wheat, rye, med red and crimson clover, this turkey is walking through it, came in decent.

8XAeZm4.jpg

4gRnWiS.jpg

Few trail cam pics.

o7vfSr9.jpg

DLjnpZa.jpg

a3OmOUF.jpg