Scott's habitat improvements

I wanted to do this earlier in the year but didn't have time and when I had time it was quite soft from all the rain. I had a 3' platform hidden in MG I built a 8' platform and moved it in and put a Redneck soft sided blind on it.

Out with the old and in with the new.

nP7qAIM.jpg

5nIm349.jpg

bAOSvWI.jpg

ReJxwM7.jpg

sDcDWUB.jpg

bDSRYWd.jpg

I gotta do that. Of anyone you'd think I have miscanthus in front of my blinds but I don't :emoji_face_palm:

Great idea Scott. Looks awesome.

It does look awesome...now I'm getting ideas for MG in a circle where I put a pop up blind..............

Got a decent kill on things so I can frost seed some switch next spring, need to hit the green stuff one more time.

Tb3bd5w.jpg

Timed it right so I collected some bur acorns to start in RM's next spring or direct seed, probably both.

07x5DRF.jpg

Plots are doing good.

lPoAkpd.jpg

X5tSNJg.jpg

7EPRuXZ.jpg

Started hitting the brassicas a little early this year.

2SvSL1Q.jpg

A few trail cam pics.

5OL9lxQ.jpg

He5648B.jpg

SAKqQYg.jpg

Brassicas look great!
Some day mine will look like that. Just not this year:emoji_rolling_eyes:

Starting to change colors here, brassicas planted in a strip right up to my wife's blind and being used.

0PtHpHL.jpg

HnRPrjd.jpg

One thing you'll see in these pics is water, we are super wet here right now. Walking back to hunt last night and the water is flowing through the soys. My 57 acre food plot will be gone soon when it dries up.

EWUpza6.jpg

9JblqaX.jpg

Sitting there last night this fog started rolling across the plot, cool watching this roll in. Actually 2 does and 2 fawns out there.

vDgMzNa.jpg

A few trail cam pics.

dYl7LMZ.jpg

vU3RQUy.jpg

QnsD1Y2.jpg

LenAle3.jpg

Proud of his first set of antlers.

7l4j7DX.jpg

A few pics of going to and from stands, color hasn't been all that great this year.

uv3I7m6.jpg

ndgmxj2.jpg

rOsqcJU.jpg

One of our target bucks is all broke up, I think you'd have to tag him as a 3 pt. I was actually sitting back in the trees in back when he walked through.

Dy49w4q.jpg

mYAaWpf.jpg

Plots are still doing good, someone else likes the rye this time of year.

9hhHS8N.jpg

dvyHpUC.jpg

k64Mny4.jpg

Os2qOQd.jpg

A new comer.

2lQCL8L.jpg

That's an incredible turkey flock you've got going Scott.
Beautiful country also!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That's an incredible turkey flock you've got going Scott.
Beautiful country also!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
We have a couple turkeys here all summer but this time the last couple years more have showed up, we must have more food than others.

Sweet trailcam pics!

Great pics. I think the new comer is pretty mature. Good luck this Nov.

Made it back and went through the switch field I planted the MG in yesterday, about what I expected for growth for the first year. I'd say there is probably 1 tassel for every 10 plants that didn't tassel.

p6Dtrxf.jpg

w5P4wDu.jpg

Here's some MG that I have planted more for screening but no prep.

2 years growing

h3mIrXN.jpg

3 years growing

PlIPWUt.jpg

They have been using the trails I cut in the switch.

tL1a4Oj.jpg

You can add Norway spruce and Eastern red cedars to the types of tree they like to rub.

FOoua6E.jpg

QIWY3fI.jpg

Still some tops on the brassicas but not much, quite a bit of use.

i0USaY1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good!
I've had the same thing with the rubbing on my spruces and pines...I slowed it down a bunch putting electric fence posts up close to them and spraying them with Plantskydd.
I need to find a couple rolls of old farm fence and cage the ones in the worst areas.

Your fall pictures are just beautiful.

That tree rubbing is frustrating. I had a buck to beat the welded wire cage down with its antlers enough to get to two white pine trees this year. I had never seen anything like that before. The wire looked like someone just beat it down from the top with a sledge hammer.

I haven't done a lot of habitat work around here this year but I have some frost seeding of switch I want to do later and some more hinging. We haven't had that much snow this winter just a couple storms that have dropped a couple inches each than it melts and rains. Took a quad ride yesterday and pulled cards for the first time in awhile.

When I left the house I saw some deer in the back corner but couldn't tell what they were but the camera caught them a few minutes before me.

UP186mc.jpg

RkQO5Fe.jpg

They are hitting the turnips pretty hard, not much left in this plot.

G5kh1CI.jpg

f0k3hy5.jpg

yBXs3cw.jpg

Sorghum mix has done it's job and it looks like there will be enough to do a T & M/roll here this coming year.

HrLguf2.jpg

HtTwwLX.jpg

A few made it though nothing huge but it's seed.

IiR31dD.jpg

797xoY2.jpg

Last edited:
@scott44 was your deer movement over there as bad as it was here? We seen some in bow season (not successful I might add) but Nov 15th through Jan 1 it was like hitting the lotto to see a single deer. I know it got really cold and snowy right at the opener and a few days before. Stayed cold for a real long time but we had the same thaws here as well. We have nill snow on the ground to speak of but it's supposed to snow tonight. Freezing single digits are here this weekend I sure hope we have some sort of snow cover for that.

@scott44 was your deer movement over there as bad as it was here? We seen some in bow season (not successful I might add) but Nov 15th through Jan 1 it was like hitting the lotto to see a single deer. I know it got really cold and snowy right at the opener and a few days before. Stayed cold for a real long time but we had the same thaws here as well. We have nill snow on the ground to speak of but it's supposed to snow tonight. Freezing single digits are here this weekend I sure hope we have some sort of snow cover for that.
Movement here was pretty spotty, lots of rain later since the end of bow season. The farmer that had soys on my mom's didn't get them off until around Christmas. The last 3-4 years we've been hunting the first little bit of rifle season and then shutting it down and letting our place be more of a sanctuary.

It looks like the whole herd in those turnips!!

Most of my trees came this week but I haven't had time to plant any plus the weather hasn't cooperated so late yesterday I made it out and got 50 planted and tubed 10 plus I overseeded a couple brasssica plots with red, crimson and ladino clover. Thursday I also tried my first shot at grafting 10 apple trees all on B118, 4 liberty, 4 Enterprise and 2 Arkansas blacks we'll see.

I planted all plugs yesterday, plugs are so easy to plant.

d7mTYTi.jpg

QH1fqv2.jpg

Things are just starting to bud out around here.

h20UVdi.jpg

Maples

8lzIjib.jpg

After 3yrs of planting on this hay field things are starting to grow above the grasses, they made a big jump last year.

AgObeew.jpg

X2PJ0cH.jpg

With a couple casualties.

lc4nfnR.jpg

Through the years I've stuck quite a few ROD cuttings in this low spot and this year I'm finally seeing some results, patience is needed on a lot of these projects'

XYJXfLW.jpg

MoxPkvI.jpg

This throw and mow rye plot is the only green right now.

C55NyHJ.jpg

MV1To5U.jpg

Vm1WCHP.jpg

I broadcast the clovers into these spent brassica plots that were pretty bare.

3XEUxWO.jpg

LJrpSFD.jpg

Still quite a bit of thatch in these brassicas from the rolled down rye.

Yac37IQ.jpg

Plans for today are getting my MDC seedlings planted and trees fertilized it's supposed to be near 60 deg.

Last edited: