Scott's habitat improvements

Wow, Wish I had a few older mature apple trees!
And you Gotta love some rain at the right time. nice buck in the brassicas but he’ll be nicer next time ;)

The last couple years I've noticed the deer have been using the brassicas long before they have frosted.

VqYmXZb.jpg

eV9Pbf6.jpg

Make sure you use something other than a plastic tags and permanent marker for your trees, my 2 best apple trees so not have tags and I can't tell youwhat they are.

V2HsnQ2.jpg

FkSYwhs.jpg

A few trail cam pics.

nNjkng9.jpg

uOErs8W.jpg

tc6xtUh.jpg

yHB2DPS.jpg

Scott,
Next time out Take a closer look at what’s making those holes in the brassica leafs.

I may be paranoid but one year I had holes like that (many More though) and my brassicas were gone two weeks later. It’s what made me start planting them later in the summer. Flea beetles or brassica beetles.

I can’t zoom the pic in but maybe you can. If so zoom on this.

It it might just be a few grass hoppers. Like I said I’m paranoid :)

25ECE0A0-6A61-4EA6-AE52-25B9FCB6FAD3.jpeg

Not sure exactly what that is, I didn't look closely at the brassicas but I'd guess it's Jap beetles are making the holes they are all over around here.

dCQja7Y.jpg

Most of my brassicas are doing good except one plot that didn't take real well, I over seeded it with my cereal grain mix and it's filling in ok.

The good

OuvuaZH.jpg

SVljAVT.jpg

The not so good but getting better.

55GHV7n.jpg

tonOY93.jpg

First Golden Delicious apples.

34gXglx.jpg

Cereal grain mix TnM doing ok.

AfBxIHx.jpg

A few trail cam pics.

These 2 were out in front of the camera for quite a few pics.

kgId9t9.jpg

A59iT8U.jpg

Good clover

kqkxqJa.jpg

I went and picked up all my cameras yesterday to check batteries and clean them, they'll go back out here when I get that done. We lost a lot of our snow yesterday with the temps in the high 40's. I drove around and checked on everything first time since last fall.

Some comparison pics, CIR switch on the left and a NWG mix of Big Blue, Indian and CIR on the right. The mix is a strip through the CIR field, just a comparison how other NWG's stand up over the winter here.

LNXjxX2.jpg

Y4hcEbE.jpg

Trying to make thermal bedding here with red cedar clumps, I planted some cedars and spruce in the hinge cuts for some protection instead of caging.

LbXMVoA.jpg

nOGbBSo.jpg

One of my MG experiments of planting it in and around switch grass and hinged Ash trees. The switch here is a little thinner this last year than it has been in the past so I'm going to have to thicken it up.

GKkBVcg.jpg

Seems like I catch a few red fox this time of year.

bR5NZhO.jpg

Is that MG to the right of the fox?

It felt really good to get out and plant 12 apple trees and freshen up some clover plots today and get my mind off what's going in in the world for a few hours.
Tags ready

Fxta6bK.jpg

My Turkey Creek trees looked good like always.

lFyIL0q.jpg

I have to go back and finish fencing some of them in but I put temp cages on them, I've learned from past experience sometimes even one night the deer will find them and help themselves.

gDQZi9v.jpg

I started a new orchard last year with chestnuts and a Kieffer pear now it has 3 new apple trees.

t9p6QJr.jpg

MG still makes a pretty good screen even this time of year.

MpKM3jZ.jpg

tIxUNMx.jpg

One of our plots last years brassicas on the left and cereal grains on the right.

xD4WRRr.jpg

Clover in the cereal grains looks like it's doing pretty good.

5jIkedX.jpg

I got my trees from 39th Parallel planted and the 100 rhizomes from Real World.

I added another small orchard here in the corner of the the hayfield, the corner has a natural drainage cutting it off so some years it was hard to get in there to take the hay off, 5 apple and 2 pears trees.

xl0XztS.jpg

Last year I put up a fence for fruit trees and our garden, I bought a 330' roll of 6' poly fence so that is as big as I made this new area. I measured it out and changed up the configuration and added 100' of fence. So what do you do when add 100' of fence you add more fruit trees, I plan on adding berry bushes too once I can get out and get some.

3 apple trees last year 3 more apple and a couple pears.

KyVFtP6.jpg

FhDsF1e.jpg

Just starting to wake up here.

4zDShP7.jpg

Looking awesome Scott!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Nice work Scott!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around throw and grow methods because I had minimal success last year. Can you share some before and after throw n grow plots? You provided them in the thread but there's a lot of information here and it was hard to match them up. Thanks

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around throw and grow methods because I had minimal success last year. Can you share some before and after throw n grow plots? You provided them in the thread but there's a lot of information here and it was hard to match them up. Thanks

Here's a throw and roll brassica plot for last year, just happened to have a trail cam on it so it's pretty easy to see the progression of it.

7/2 I broadcast brassicas into a grassy rye plot from the fall before, I usually do this roll and spray all at once but I didn't and had to go back later and spray it.

FTRETW4.jpg

Couple days later.

KAgPsgq.jpg

Month and a half later.

ea7gsty.jpg

quViqyx.jpg

Two and a hald months later.

SVljAVT.jpg

Four months later.

kdi5OXr.jpg

bAX5t7F.jpg

D5goXFh.jpg

I haven't done much since planting my fruit trees in April, I made it out and planted a couple sorghum mix plots, brush hogged some clover and my orchards.

I had a bunch of small box elder trees that had sprung up so I bought a heavy duty Brush Grubber, I have a hook on the bucket of my FEL bucket so I hooked the chain short and just curled the bucket and the popped right out, the soil was really damp so I can see where this probably wouldn't work under drier conditions.

xtl5ucI.jpg

3rbHDlb.jpg

The pear tree in our yard was really loaded with blossoms this year, I tried grafting some from this tree a few years ago but a no go because it was hard to find good scions. I trimmed some branches last this and last year so I have some newer scions now.

bnxWOfZ.jpg

MZC1vnE.jpg

This clover was planted last spring in a previous falls brassica plot, I was going to kill it for a cereal grain plot but it looked good so I left it, trimmed it high so hopefully it gets a lotof the grasses in it.

owlqkNB.jpg

zqb08yT.jpg

pnUFTSP.jpg

I have been trying to do most of my plots throw and mow/roll but I think there are sometimes to do minimal till, run the disc over it a couple times, broadast seed and cultipack.

kDBWgaC.jpg

rqoKsm1.jpg

IfPPfFJ.jpg

I mowed my orchards but need to clean up the cages.

2u8Ys0X.jpg

Things look good. I’m in the same boat. All I’ve done is move some fruit trees so far. Headed out today to hopefully get more done...

Scott...looks great. What do you do to clean up the fruit tree cages?

Scott...looks great. What do you do to clean up the fruit tree cages?
My fencing is held on with zip ties I snip some of the ties and lift the fence up and weed whip under it. Also I'll take the fence apart and weed whip inside, time consuming but I feel it's worth it, sometimes I'll mix up some Gly in my backpack sprayer and hit the outside perimeter of the fence.
Some that are done and some that aren't.

ISdph0Y.jpg

This is the year for trees to poke out of the tubes, some are slower than others.

SkWTeGT.jpg

a0stjxA.jpg

I've been planting MG in this switch field for the last couple years, it looks like this year it might actually amount to something.

yaPQX7p.jpg

NUXOoHx.jpg

My first Realworld MG.

oHI6l2U.jpg

These highbush cranberry bushes were planted 6 yrs ago without caging so after the first year I caged the ones that were left and a few that weren't caged made it but are heavily browsed.

IxAfKU3.jpg

CqCAfuc.jpg

Had something in my boot after spreading seed, nothing irrataes the foot like buckwheat seed.

MmYbPd5.jpg

I put the trail cams back out a couple weeks ago and have a few pics.

kwNv7RH.jpg

yrZVFio.jpg

tO9SgDp.jpg

KPTvI3H.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Scott