All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

School me on lime

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
I did soil test on my two plots. these are plots that were fields last year so only one year of growth with no soil test last year. Both plots are about 2-2.5 acres. One plot had a reading of 6.5 and the other 5.5 (pretty bad). I applied 2 tons per acre of lime to the bad field and one ton per acre on the slightly better field per what the test said I should do. Typically, how long does lime last? Will I have to lime this much every year or will I just need to do maintenance spreading every so often? Lime is crazy expensive near me. Either 200$ a ton for pelletized (not spread) OR 80$ a ton for bulk lime that is spread. I called all around and no one wants to come spread lime on food plots, they are only interested in spreading at farms so I am stuck with the 80$ a ton person. What exactly causes low pH in soil anyways? Thanks!

It all depends on what kind/type of soil you have. What was your OM and CEC numbers on your soil tests? Is your soil sandy?

It all depends on what kind/type of soil you have. What was your OM and CEC numbers on your soil tests? Is your soil sandy?
Honestly I’d say the soil is in the middle. Not clay but not completely sandy either

My best advice is to do no tillage to build up your soil and read up on the “ throw n mow method”. Lots of good info on there. Obviously, retest your soils next year to see if the PH is around 7. If it’s not, then you prob have very sandy soils . I had one plot that was on a slope and my PH was just about 7 from liming from two years earlier. I retested two years later and it was down to like 5.5. I came in here and got my question answered if this was possible ( it is by the way). Google Ray the soil guy. Read up on building organic matter in soils if your reading was low. I’m far from and expert but just know the basics to get by doing food plots. Did you ever get your CEC and Organic Matter readings on your test? Was it done by a lab?

My best advice is to do no tillage to build up your soil and read up on the “ throw n mow method”. Lots of good info on there. Obviously, retest your soils next year to see if the PH is around 7. If it’s not, then you prob have very sandy soils . I had one plot that was on a slope and my PH was just about 7 from liming from two years earlier. I retested two years later and it was down to like 5.5. I came in here and got my question answered if this was possible ( it is by the way). Google Ray the soil guy. Read up on building organic matter in soils if your reading was low. I’m far from and expert but just know the basics to get by doing food plots. Did you ever get your CEC and Organic Matter readings on your test? Was it done by a lab?
I field has cec of 9.9 and organic matter 6.9. The other has cec 5.4 and organic matter 7.4. The lower number field had the lower pH. What type number are desired?

U should be fine with those numbers. OM decent number should be over 5. I think a good CEC number should be about 10. With decent soils and not sandy, once your PH is good, you prob should not have to apply lime until about 2/3 years later and at that time it should not be a lot ( retest and amend accordingly). Your PH should not drop too much in 2/3 years.