Sanity check - wanting to enroll in CRP

wango tango

5 year old buck +
My mom in law has a farm and part of it is an old pasture, about 40a. Part is highly erodible, from the technical sense (HEL). It is not being used right now. I'm trying to encourage her to 'farm' it for 4 years then enroll it into CRP. The approach to the 'farm' part is a bit unusual.

The reason it is unusual is because we're really not trying to turn a profit or even really 'farm' it. They are worried and convinced it cant be farmed (although the neighbors farm their land which is essentially the same). We just want to do CRP and have some income along with tons of wildlife. My mom in law loves wildlife and is a master naturalist and gardener. So my idea was to drill beans or wheat, do not harvest it and report to the FSA office that we farmed it and such. Then in 4 years we have checked the box to enroll in a pollinator habitat type of CRP.

I have a GP no till drill. My brother in law can get free seed. We'll have no cost in this thing, other than a bit of time. (plus the hunting will be great!).

Any flaws with this? This approach was actually recommended to me by a state wildlife biologist.

How does the state come up with payments with CRP? Is it based on your actual results, or a soil map?

Do yourself a favor and go into your local NRCS office and have them tell you what you need. These ppl are very helpful(I know, I sleep next to one at night) and will walk you through what programs have what requirements. Might save you some time and energy. Also, you might find a better program for your needs, especially if you have hel.

How does the state come up with payments with CRP? Is it based on your actual results, or a soil map?

It's ass backwards for sure. The highest producing land gets the highest payments. The land that should pay the most is the steep ground that shouldn't be getting farmed in the first place to encourage farmers to enroll it.

In that frame of thinking you may want to do some high input farming of the ground for a few years to try to get as high of yield as possible before entering it into CRP.

You might qualify for riparian buffer without crop history. Does it border any water?

You might qualify for riparian buffer without crop history. Does it border any water?
Yes, it does. In the middle of the 40a is a bit of a wet spot and I'd go so far to call it a wetland.

I'll second the advice of going to the local NRCS office. They will be able to tell you what programs you already qualify for and the various rules and the like that go along with them. Many times there are rules to what applies and what doesn't...The wetland may not be large enough, or you may not have a long enough crop history, or you flat out can be rejected from the program for various reasons. Just because you apply doesn't mean you get accepted. Also consider the various cost share programs that your state DNR may support as well. You may not be able to get an annual payment for it...but you might be able to get some help with the cost of implementation. Also be VERY aware of any conditions and rules these programs have and can tie your hands later.

You’ll get paid way more money with less hassle if you enroll in a permanent easement. And there’s absolutely no downfalls to it, so that’s the route I’d take.

Get paid brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll get paid way more money with less hassle if you enroll in a permanent easement. And there’s absolutely no downfalls to it, so that’s the route I’d take.

Get paid brother!

Can you expand on this a bit more? I'm not following the easement part..

Get paid brother!

Can you expand on this a bit more? I'm not following the easement part..

It’s not a physical easement. You’re just selling your land use rights in exchange for a payment. You still get to hunt it, and even though you were paid public dollars, you don’t have to allow the public to use it. It’s a win win.

It’s not a physical easement. You’re just selling your land use rights in exchange for a payment. You still get to hunt it, and even though you were paid public dollars, you don’t have to allow the public to use it. It’s a win win.

Sell it to who? I'm still not following :)

Think long and hard before agreeing to a Govt contract on your property. You will be giving up rights & control for $$.

The contracts are always written to the Gov't favor and designed to restrict your rights.

Get paid brother!

Not being able to ride an atv wherever you want on the property a downfall? how about the freedom to plant wherever you want? greatly reduced resale value?

Not being able to ride an atv wherever you want on the property a downfall? how about the freedom to plant wherever you want? greatly reduced resale value?

The NRCS actually deceives people about WRP easements. They state in a brochure that you can put up to 5% of your WRP easement into food plots. Then you find out that you have to get a conditional use permit which they control. They can actually stop you from putting in any food plots if they access that the surrounding food sources are sufficient.

Trails? They dictate where you can have trails and you are required to have a conditional use permit. Wanna put a locked gate up to control access, plant a tree, etc. .... permit required.

Couple years ago NRCS folks tried to force easement holders to remove any structures (deer stands, duck blinds, etc) by Dec 31st every year.

And yes, you will see abot a 20-25% reduction in property value with a permanent easement.

Yeah, but otherwise it's a great deal.

Sorry SD, but that is the absolute worst advice, and absolutely last thing I would do as a landowner.

itsatrap.jpg

You guys are making me feel better. Somehow the thought of owning land and having to get someone else's permission to use never sat right with me.

Nothing is for free.....especially if the government is involved!

I'd also recommend you go lay it all out to the NRCS people. Busting sod to plant crops to enroll in CRP may not fly like you hope. Even if they are taking new CRP enrollments in 4-5 years.

Sorry SD, but that is the absolute worst advice, and absolutely last thing I would do as a landowner.

We must pass on the freedoms we enjoy today to the next generation by selling our land rights to the government. It's the only way to preserve our outdoor heritage. You guys that are afraid of the government protecting and preserving the land are paranoid.

ive had great luck with my NRCS office regarding programs other than CRP. Specifically EQUIP and several pollinator programs. I have had portions in CRP on my land but the other programs have been more lucrative and enjoyable to work on, the contracts are relatively short so i can make changes easily in the future. I would also suggest going to the NRCS office and seeing what is available in your area. For me the monarch pollinator program has been fantastic, i only wish i had dedicated more acreage to it when i signed up.