Homegrown National Park

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
Has anyone seen this? This is a pretty cool idea. Most of us have done something to encourage native plants/trees on our hunting properties. This is an idea from Doug Tallamy who is the T. A. Baker Professor of Agriculture in the Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology at the University of Delaware. He's written several books. I'm reading one right now: https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Best-Hope-Approach-Conservation/dp/1604699000 One of his main inspirations was Aldo Leopold.

I have a section of my backyard by my pond that I've planted some natives. I may expand this into other areas of my yard.

1707757165169.png

That would be pretty neat. I live a stone’s throw from a designated state natural area. Calcareous soil and limestone, high pH based plant community. I have tried for ten years to increase my native plant component in my open area that was cow pasture when I bought the place. I have nwsg now, but it chokes out most of the native flowers so unique to this area. I need some help from Native. 😁I dont want to buy seed for planting because it would not be the native variety from this area.

That would be pretty neat. I live a stone’s throw from a designated state natural area. Calcareous soil and limestone, high pH based plant community. I have tried for ten years to increase my native plant component in my open area that was cow pasture when I bought the place. I have nwsg now, but it chokes out most of the native flowers so unique to this area. I need some help from Native. 😁I dont want to buy seed for planting because it would not be the native variety from this area.
You may want to contact Roundstone. They are offering local ecotype seeds sourced from different areas. I purchased from them for my Kentucky farm as well as my Louisiana backyard. They were a great resource to find what exactly I needed in my soils and situation.
Here's some local ecotypes from them: