Drilling CRP with Genesis drill

cbw

5 year old buck +
We are doing our first CRP planing on our farm. It is only 8 acres of the QuailSAFE program. 5.25 acres will be in natives/nesting cover. Attach is the seeding mix. Also attaching the layout.

We have a 5ft Genesis drill with no fluffy box.

Any tips/experience on drilling natives without a fluffy box? Possible?

Any other tips/advice, we’re all ears. View attachment Williams Creek LLC. CRP - Acres.pdf

Thanks!View attachment IA Shortgrass 20-20 11-20-2023.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have fluff seed box I wouldn't try it.They make a seed slinger broadcaster that says it will do fluff seed.Some say you can mix cat litter or some carrier to help keep it from clogging.I would rent a NRCS drill

TIP: Like many of our competitors our standard seed box does not work well with pollinator mixes or native seed blends. The seeds are light and fluffy (think of a feather) and tend to bridge. Mr. Keith Levick sent us a message to say "Hey Paul I talked to you about drilling pollinator through my machine. I ended up using barley with it to drill and it worked awesome. I used 10 pounds of pollinator to 20 pounds of barley. That's the only thing I found that I had no problems with. In case someone else was having problems". We've tried all kinds of things so maybe this will work for you. Thanks for sharing the tip Keith! #PHOutdoors #Gseries

Reactions: cbw
Thanks. RGiz… Link doesn’t seem to work.

I assume winter rye could work similar to Barley as a carrier?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd really try to get barley. I think it's usually smaller than rye seed.

I would try to get barley as well. Assuming the OP of that tip had tried all the readily available options first before settling on barley.

I also would give the NRCS a call. I am renting one this spring for the first time. $11/acre with a $40 minimum. I’m doing just under 3 acres so $40. Cheaper than carrier at that point. Plus it is the tool made just for that job.

I've rented from the county I live in. They have a Truax pull behind style, I've planted about 12 acres of CRP/pollinator mixes and 20 acres of switchgrass with it. I would go that route if it's an option. I had to get a bigger tractor to pull the drill, borrowed one from a farmer down the road who does some of my tillable.

91610.jpeg
T_00022 (1).JPG

I’m renting a Truax this spring? How wide was that drill? And what tractor of yours wasn’t big enough. We are planning to pull it with a JD 3020.

I’m renting a Truax this spring? How wide was that drill? And what tractor of yours wasn’t big enough. We are planning to pull it with a JD 3020.

It was 8' wide drilling width, about 12' wide with the outside tires.
I have a JD 4105 that wouldn't have been able to move that thing up a decent incline. They recommend 55HP+ for that drill.

Yeah, yours looks way bigger than the one we are renting.
8c3e0a32592a2d97d99e716b9983915c.jpg

Should be able to get the model number and figure out a recommended HP. I don't know if I'd try a 30 HP tractor with the drill in that pic unless ALL the ground is flat. Even still, I'd bet it'll be a dawg pulling that thing.

I’ve planted lots of native grass and forbs with drill without a native seed box. Lots of carriers work but I like to use a mixture of cat litter, 0-20-20, oats, wheat, and corn. I usually use about 50-60lbs or carrier per acre. I put switchgrass and a few small forbs on small seed box with no carrier, and fluffy/big seeds in main with carrier.

With 5 acres there is zero chance I would rent that native seeder. Use genesis and it will do great. Really mix the seed well in batches with carrier one acre at a time and pour in drill. Don’t overthink it.

I've rented from the county I live in. They have a Truax pull behind style, I've planted about 12 acres of CRP/pollinator mixes and 20 acres of switchgrass with it. I would go that route if it's an option. I had to get a bigger tractor to pull the drill, borrowed one from a farmer down the road who does some of my tillable.

View attachment 60577
View attachment 60578
That looks great Brian.

First year plantings with my landpride 3p600. Feel free to DM me about settings and such.

I use imazapic for my native grass plantings. I also add 2-3lbs each of igrowth sorghum and Clearfield sunflowers. Both tolerant of imazapic and acted as a great companion crop for first season.

IMG_2303.jpegIMG_2302.jpeg

First year plantings with my landpride 3p600. Feel free to DM me about settings and such.

I use imazapic for my native grass plantings. I also add 2-3lbs each of igrowth sorghum and Clearfield sunflowers. Both tolerant of imazapic and acted as a great companion crop for first season.

View attachment 60636View attachment 60637

Looks beautiful, Omni!

I’ve planted lots of native grass and forbs with drill without a native seed box. Lots of carriers work but I like to use a mixture of cat litter, 0-20-20, oats, wheat, and corn. I usually use about 50-60lbs or carrier per acre. I put switchgrass and a few small forbs on small seed box with no carrier, and fluffy/big seeds in main with carrier.

Thanks Omni. Curious—corn seems out of place. What is the reasoning? Does the bigger size help the flow or something?

Also, you mention one acre at a time, what is your thinking behind that vs doing all 5 acres at once.

Thanks!

Thanks Omni. Curious—corn seems out of place. What is the reasoning? Does the bigger size help the flow or something?

Also, you mention one acre at a time, what is your thinking behind that vs doing all 5 acres at once.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using

I meant the mixing of the seed and carrier. I mix one acre at a time really really well and pour in large seed hopper, then another acre. Then another. I plant it all at same time. Just the mixing.

The bluestem/indiangrass likes to stick together so you really have to mix it well among carrier. You can also get de chaffed seed but I’m not sure how much it helps. If you don’t mix it well it will clump together and not flow as well.

I use this article a lot on planting and fillers.

Just know this is how I have done it, but lots of others have had great success their way. See Brian’s post above. @Native Hunter has 50+ acres in natives. The owner here @Bill has some good posts on switchgrass plantings.

I’m a big believer that you should do the very best you can with herbicide and planting the first time. Anytime I e tried to cut corners I get less than stellar results. If you kill the are 2-3 times with burndown herbice summer before, plant thick with rye, then kill it with roundup a few weeks before planting, plant, and spray imazapic 4oz/acre right before/after planting, you will get a great result.

I also plant only grass year one, then come back fall of same year and overseed the forbs. Lots plant them at same time, but I have had better luck doing it this way. The forbs need cold stratification so they do well with fall broadcast seeding into first year stand I planted in spring.

I have not had great result using Pelletized lime. The agitator ends up turning alot of it into powder which gunks everything up. 0-20-20 seems to hold together better than the lime, and the plants like the nutrients. Most recommend not using N because it just feeds the weeds.

Remember forbs are just weeds. The imazapic gives a head start to the stuff we want to grow, but eventually the weeds come in, which is a good thing.