Kasco Versa Drill tips - Transferred from QDMA Forums

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Versa-drill owners. I'll be using mine for the first time in the next couple weeks. I do plan to calibrate it with my particular mixes, but I'm looking for some starting points to get me in the ball park.
It looks like there are several variables related to seeding rate: Seed Opening, Gear (right, center, left), and tractor speed.
I don't plant pure stands so the seeding chart is of little use. So, for those of you who mix your own seed, can you tell me how many lbs/acre you typically use of each seed type in your mix, your seed opening size, your gear setting, and tractor speed?
This would at least give me a starting point for calibration.
Thanks,
Jack
We make sure that the different seeds are mixed together well. Then like all seeders we always start with the smallest setting possible for the biggest seed. Then open it up further if we have to. My husband rides on the drill as we go, making any adjustments. We are not real particular as to how much seed we use, but if we have a bag that says .5 acres that is usually pretty close to what we end up with. We just pour it and go...(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) and adjust on the fly.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
==================================
My husband rides on the drill as we go,
Must be a trusting soul (or likes to live dangerously (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) )(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
He better be nice to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Doe
He better be nice to me!
(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
My Dad used to ride on the back of an old steel wheeled drill when I was just a kid, kinda like this one.
MasseyHarris.jpg

There's a reason for that "board" along the back although I suspect not OSHA approved!
You can set them according to the directions but sometimes it just involves some trial and error....so start with the "cheap seed"...(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)

END TRANSFER FROM QDMA FORUMS