Filler seed for greater separation of brassicas

A few of us are doing like you and will nuke our clovers in July to plant a fall brasica mix. I'm doing this.....however will be adding 3 different clovers and chicory to the tune of 8 lbs added to my brassica mix. This will up my seeds pounds to 13 in the small seed box (and I am putting radish in the large box to boot). The brassica is said to quickly establish and tends to shade-out and suppress the clover as the clover develops roots for next spring's growth (when the brassica is toast). In spring you got deer food for your deer and a nitrogen source for future crops. This plan is golden.....What's not to like?
This - Works wonderful for me. Then broadcast rye over the brassicas a few weeks later. Does not hamper the growth of your brassicas at all and it…provides great spring and summer forage for your deer, keeps your soil covered after the brassicas have been consumed, keeps weeds at bay…keeps your soil covered…keeps living roots in your soil for as many days throughout the year as possible…you get the picture 😄 Like Foggy says…what’s not to like?

This - Works wonderful for me. Then broadcast rye over the brassicas a few weeks later. Does not hamper the growth of your brassicas at all and it…provides great spring and summer forage for your deer, keeps your soil covered after the brassicas have been consumed, keeps weeds at bay…keeps your soil covered…keeps living roots in your soil for as many days throughout the year as possible…you get the picture 😄 Like Foggy says…what’s not to like?
One thing to consider here.......and "real farmers" know this........is that your land can only support X number of seeds at a time. Therefore they shoot for a population goal not in pounds of seed......but in numbers of seeds. It's allot different population in volumes of soybeans than clover for example. The other thing is to strike a balance between legumes, brassicas, and grasses. Lots to consider and know here. I believe I am guilty of too much clover seed which crowds-out other good things (and a few bad things - like pigweed - which was my plan).

Unfortunately I only have one seed box. I may end up adding clover. I see these seed mixes that go from tiny clover to soybeans and oats. Trying to understand how small does not move lower in the box with a large gate opening leading uneven seeding?
I spent some time worrying about the small seed vs large seeds in a mix.....and that they would separate to make for havoc when drilling seed mixes. In practice I saw very little evidence of this happening. As said.....some seed boxes have agitators but I am not certain they hold allot of value. This is not to say that you want to go to extremes here.....but some size variation is not too big of a deal IMO.

When I make a mix of seeds I do pay some attention to sizes and spend some time to blend my seeds somewhat evenly together. I use 5 gallon pails to pour back and forth a few times which works quite well......and have used a paint mixer in those same 5 gallon buckets to blend the seeds. I also do a bit of blending by running my hands through the mix in the drill hopper.

I'm uncertain that the deer care if one area has a bit more of one variety than another.......and I do not see huge variations across my property as a result of this. Such perfection is not needed......IMO.

HAVEING said all of the above......I did buy a drill with two seed boxes for this reason. LOL.

Maybe others have different experience?

Last edited:
I spent some time worrying about the small seed vs large seeds in a mix.....and that they would separate to make for havoc when drilling seed mixes. In practice I saw very little evidence of this happening. As said.....some seed boxes have agitators but I am not certain they hold allot of value. This is not to say that you want to go to extremes here.....but some size variation is not too big of a deal IMO.

When I make a mix of seeds I do pay some attention to sizes and spend some time to blend my seeds somewhat evenly together. I use 5 gallon pails to pour back and forth a few times which works quite well......and have used a paint mixer in those same 5 gallon buckets to blend the seeds. I also do a bit of blending by running my hands through the mix in the drill hopper.

I'm uncertain that the deer care if one area has a bit more of one variety than another.......and I do not see huge variations across my property as a result of this. Such perfection is not needed......IMO.

HAVEING said all of the above......I did buy a drill with two seed boxes for this reason. LOL.

Maybe others have different experience?

I do the same thing to both inoculate any seed requiring it, and to mix my seeds in a 5 gal pail. Never thought of a paint mixer to mix.

I am not so worried about uneven dispersal, more worried too dense for turnips/radishes. I have thought of doing strips of brassicas alternating strips of cowpeas, sudan sorghum grass, but I really want the OM across all of the soil. I figure the added vertical height will help the deer feel more secure.

You are correct ... don't let good be the enemy of perfect. 😉

Bigboreblr suggested using walnut shell media in post 7 above. I think this could be an excellent filler and it would seem about the same size and weight of clover or brassica seeds IMO. Pretty cheap to buy at any reloading suppier. Also could use corn cob media from the same sources.....but that may be a bit lighter weight?

Bigboreblr suggested using walnut shell media in post 7 above. I think this could be an excellent filler and it would seem about the same size and weight of clover or brassica seeds IMO. Pretty cheap to buy at any reloading suppier. Also could use corn cob media from the same sources.....but that may be a bit lighter weight?

For filler I ended up using Japanese millet at 5 lbs/acre & med red clover 3-4lbs/acre. I also mixed in sorghum sudan grass at about 15 lbs/acre. The millet and sudan grass will add the OM & carbon I am looking for.

Will have to look into the walnut shell media. I wonder if there is any concern with juglone in the walnuts?

For filler I ended up using Japanese millet at 5 lbs/acre & med red clover 3-4lbs/acre. I also mixed in sorghum sudan grass at about 15 lbs/acre. The millet and sudan grass will add the OM & carbon I am looking for.

Will have to look into the walnut shell media. I wonder if there is any concern with juglone in the walnuts?
^ Wow.....good catch on the juglone concern. Never considered and have not tried it either.

Last edited:
Rice?

Just read where some guy was using dry / screened sawdust for a filler. Sounds good to me.