Filler seed for greater separation of brassicas

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
I am going to be planting about 8 acres of brassicas (turnips, kale, radishes, etc.). I will be using my drill and want to avoid planting to high of a density and would like to have more annual type seed as a filler to increase volume of seed without creating more competition.

Seed box setting will be for for small seeds so thing like soybeans, oats may not work. No agitator just gravity flow.

What small seeds might be added.

Does it make sense to increase gate opening to allow for larger seed as a filler? Will I get to much density on the turnip/radishes to stunt their growth?

What are your thoughts?

I’ve never used that method, I just calibrate my small seed box to what I want to put out, 6, 8, or 10 pounds an acre.

Does you drill not meter that low?

Buckwheat?

Flax might work. I'm not familiar with the openings on those drills for small seeds. But flax is a hell of a subordinate plant and it's great for the soil.

With broadcast spreader folks, adding sand to their small seed will do the trick. I would just use clover seed. Soybean or corn meal might be a less abrasive option to sand.

For some reason you cant get your feed rate smaller, maybe use every other row, or two rows and leave every 3rd seed door covered. Might be expensive, I forgot. IN power generation, the old method to clean a gas turbine compressor was to pour crushed walnut shells in the inlet. Might be a decent filler.

I’ve never used that method, I just calibrate my small seed box to what I want to put out, 6, 8, or 10 pounds an acre.

Does you drill not meter that low?

I have a Firminator and yes it will handle small seeds. I just have never done it before with small seed. Want to avoid over crowding the turnips/radishes.

No clover, I just nuked 10 acres of it.
A few of us are doing like you and will nuke our clovers in July to plant a fall brasica mix. I'm doing this.....however will be adding 3 different clovers and chicory to the tune of 8 lbs added to my brassica mix. This will up my seeds pounds to 13 in the small seed box (and I am putting radish in the large box to boot). The brassica is said to quickly establish and tends to shade-out and suppress the clover as the clover develops roots for next spring's growth (when the brassica is toast). In spring you got deer food for your deer and a nitrogen source for future crops. This plan is golden.....What's not to like?

A few of us are doing like you and will nuke our clovers in July to plant a fall brasica mix. I'm doing this.....however will be adding 3 different clovers and chicory to the tune of 8 lbs added to my brassica mix. This will up my seeds pounds to 13 in the small seed box (and I am putting radish in the large box to boot). The brassica is said to quickly establish and tends to shade-out and suppress the clover as the clover develops roots for next spring's growth (when the brassica is toast). In spring you got deer food for your deer and a nitrogen source for future crops. This plan is golden.....What's not to like?

Unfortunately I only have one seed box. I may end up adding clover. I see these seed mixes that go from tiny clover to soybeans and oats. Trying to understand how small does not move lower in the box with a large gate opening leading uneven seeding?

Unfortunately I only have one seed box. I may end up adding clover. I see these seed mixes that go from tiny clover to soybeans and oats. Trying to understand how small does not move lower in the box with a large gate opening leading uneven seeding?
I agree, I know the manufacturers tell you it works fine but I’ve never believed it.
I looked at the Firminator but went with the Woods just for the reason it has multiple seed boxes.

I built the contraption below for my Firminator for small seeds because my plot acreage is so small and the single seed box is so large. It worked good once I got the gate setting right.

Got the idea from the guy at Ranews. I just mixed all the brassicas and clover.

Attachments

• IMG_4677.jpeg
    IMG_4677.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4676.jpeg
    IMG_4676.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5081.jpeg
    IMG_5081.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    711.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4989.jpeg
    IMG_4989.jpeg
    634.6 KB · Views: 33
I built the contraption below for my Firminator for small seeds because my plot acreage is so small and the single seed box is so large. It worked good once I got the gate setting right.

Got the idea from the guy at Ranews. I just mixed all the brassicas and clover.
^ I'm not clear on what you are doing here Maddog? How do you regulate what drops through those plastic bottles?.....and where do you use this?? What am I missing?

I agree, I know the manufacturers tell you it works fine but I’ve never believed it.
I looked at the Firminator but went with the Woods just for the reason it has multiple seed boxes.

I used Green Cover's Summer Release this spring, which has about 10 different seeds from Soybean down to tiny turnip/rape seeds in the mix. All in my large seed box and calibrated for 47lbs per acre. Worked perfectly and the plots look great so far. First time trying everything in the large seed box and I can say it works.

It’s just a way to not have to put 25# of tiny seeds into one large hopper for an acre.

I can put 3# of my mix in each mini hopper and guaranteed none of my seed gates run dry before my last pass.

When I plant Wr or oats at 100 pounds per acre, I just fill the hopper full.

It doesn’t change the functionality of the seed dispensing system at all.

It’s just a way to not have to put 25# of tiny seeds into one large hopper for an acre.

I can put 3# of my mix in each mini hopper and guaranteed none of my seed gates run dry before my last pass.

When I plant Wr or oats at 100 pounds per acre, I just fill the hopper full.

It doesn’t change the functionality of the seed dispensing system at all.
Okay......now I see. Looks like a good idea for you. I sometimes have seed in the "dead areas" of my drill too.....and not quite done with planting. Us small-time operators have some issues to get our seeds in the ground for sure.

Is buckwheat too large, I'd think that a low pounds/acre rate wouldn't compete with the brassica given the vertical growth and the spacing given the seed rate and it might keep early browse on the buckwheat and self terminate at first frost when the brassicas start off. Shouldn't pull N away from the brassica either.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I've added granular calcium to my mix, I have only done it by broadcasting but I would think it would work in a drill. I do, 3 lbs of radishes, 3 lbs of turnips and 14 lbs of calcium, per acre.

IMG_6343.jpgIMG_6347.jpg

These pictures were in late November after a couple hard frosts, it was the mix I mentioned above.

Think I found a good option ... Proso Millet. Very small seed and inexpensive. Should provide minimum competition and will leave some OM.

Last edited: