Another New Drill Model on the market?

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
Just learned about a new product on the market. PH Outdoors has just introduced their line of no-till drills and crimpers. Several widths similar to RTP. My brief research shows a website and a Facebook page on these products. Looks well made. New on the market in the past two weeks. Looks like Phil Robinson and the Duck Commander will be the TV promotion for the line (?).

The owner / manager is from the RTP (Genesis) operation......and the machines appear to be takeoffs from that brand. Could be made in the same factory for all I know. I like some of the features......like the weight bar and small seed box, etc. But know knows how well designed they are? The steel drive wheel looks a bit wonky to me....especially in muddy soils?? Maybe its just fine. I suppose if it's "that" wet you should not be drilling seeds?

Anyway we got another food plot product line to add to the mix. Good time to be a no till plotter. Check their website and Facebook page for more info:

Last edited:
Do other ones have that side drive gear that goes on the ground? I saw Bill Winke planting with a drill that had that gear

Do other ones have that side drive gear that goes on the ground? I saw Bill Winke planting with a drill that had that gear
RTP has an air filled tire....and I have read a few negative comments about the tire not contacting the ground on side hills and such. I have no experience with the product....just what I read.

It occurs to me that the company offering this product line is improving on the deficiencies of the RTP Genesis....and adding some other features like the weight system.....but that is just me speculating a bit here.

Interesting to see a new brand on the market. The new Genesis will have a weight bar. Here is the link to that post where the president of RTP shared some information about the new drill models.

Interesting to see a new brand on the market. The new Genesis will have a weight bar. Here is the link to that post where the president of RTP shared some information about the new drill models.
On the Facebook page for PH Outdoors......it states that the former _______. (President - IIRC) is the owner of this new company. Not sure what happened.....but I assume somebody jumped ship to start his own version of the RTP Genesis product line. Maybe it's that guy sitting on the drill in your pic? I'm just speculating....I dunno?? I'm sure some more info will follow.

Yeah I swear winke was sponsored by rtp but now he’s saying ph outdoors instead.

Edit:
82824630-AD4A-4338-9ACE-715ED80F5BBB.png

Last edited:
The owner is going to be on higgins podcast next week from the sounds of things. They made it seem like this is a rebranding and PH is replacing RTP. Maybe they’ll share if that’s the scoop or not.

I see the Drury boys are using PH too.

This instance is why so many companies make employees sign non-compete waivers.

Interesting. ^ Might diminish the value of the "old" Genesis models? Also may have good deals on existing inventory? Not sure how they priced the new PH models compared to the Genesis?
I've come to believe that I would struggle without a small seed box. What I see is that my bigger seeds in the main seed box are deposited first in the bottom of the seed trench thus the small seeds are dropped at a somewhat higher elevation on top of them. As the bigger seeds germinate....they tend to further push the small seeds to higher ground. <----that's my story and I'm sticking to it. grin.

If this is any indication, prices are silly. https://wildlifefarming.com/Product.../WILDLIFE-FARMING/G-SERIES-NO-TILL-DRILL/1808

I’m with ya on the small seed box foggy and having to pay $3k extra for one is nuts.

One of the main reasons is I like to be able to set my openers to plant at least 1” deep when doing a diverse mix because in my bumpy fields it allows for seed to still get covered when there’s a low spot across the planting width. There’s less forgiveness in bumpy fields if a guy is trying to plant 1/2” deep. This way you get better placement on big seeds without worrying about the small seeds being planted too deep.

Gotta say....the good 'ole boys from the mid-south understand how to market products to their client base. Reminds me of my shooting industry days when everyone would buy the same products as the most recent winning shooters were using (still that way).

Seems all the tv hunting personalities are on-board with this product.....and the multiple others that are regularly promoted via these shows. Everyone gets a little grease and sings to the choir. It's the way the world works. I guess it's a good thing the products are re-designed and made better for the future. Intensions seem good / prices seem high. Then again....good stuff costs more. Glad I'm done shopping.

I'm surprised I don't see more people offering food plot planting as a service because of the price points of the equipment.

A little bird told me that there were some changes at Redexim Turf Products (AKA RTP) due to a death in the owning family. Strategy changes for a global company like RTP led to less interest in the Genesis drills internally. Now we have PH Outdoors, spun out of RTP. I'm not sure if it was a true divestiture, but it seems like almost all of the Genesis team is at PH. PH has the ability to make the updates to the drill they have been trying to make due to user feedback. (So far updated D-shackle, new drive wheel, new seed box shape with optional dividers) I'm curious if we'll see some new products too.

I'm surprised I don't see more people offering food plot planting as a service because of the price points of the equipment.

If the equipment depreciated quickly it would be more enticing to pay someone than lose your ass on an implement. The way things have been lately they seem to be just as likely to appreciate as depreciate.

A little bird told me that there were some changes at Redexim Turf Products (AKA RTP) due to a death in the owning family. Strategy changes for a global company like RTP led to less interest in the Genesis drills internally. Now we have PH Outdoors, spun out of RTP. I'm not sure if it was a true divestiture, but it seems like almost all of the Genesis team is at PH. PH has the ability to make the updates to the drill they have been trying to make due to user feedback. (So far updated D-shackle, new drive wheel, new seed box shape with optional dividers) I'm curious if we'll see some new products too.

Yep, actually listened to the higgins PH commercial (podcast) last night. Sounds like RTP just didn't want to build them anymore so it's a good thing that Paul wanted to take this on. All of the changes sound like nice upgrades.

Did you end up smoothing out your fields to improve drill performance and how did that go? I might be doing something similar soon.

Yep, actually listened to the higgins PH commercial (podcast) last night. Sounds like RTP just didn't want to build them anymore so it's a good thing that Paul wanted to take this on. All of the changes sound like nice upgrades.

Did you end up smoothing out your fields to improve drill performance and how did that go? I might be doing something similar soon.
I didn't listen to the podcast. I'm just not a podcast guy.

I didn't yet. I've been getting quotes on Unverferth Perfecta Cultivators, and I'm just not sure if makes financial sense to buy a new one. For a 6', I just got quoted in the neighborhood of $4500. Realistically, I see this as a one time activity, maybe every few years, so that kind of money is hard to justify. I'd love to be able to find one to rent, but most of the rental units are 12'+, which is far too big. I've seen two listed for sale on FB marketplace, but they're too far from where I live or camp.

I have a friend who farms and hunts. He considered it locally but most people want their spring and fall plots all planted at the same time. So peak business spring (already busy farming) and August(ish), when all of your customers want their plots in just before a rain in mid to late August (around here). No way to effectively spread out the work enough to make it economically viable as a stand alone business - again, at least around here.

I have a friend who farms and hunts. He considered it locally but most people want their spring and fall plots all planted at the same time. So peak business spring (already busy farming) and August(ish), when all of your customers want their plots in just before a rain in mid to late August (around here). No way to effectively spread out the work enough to make it economically viable as a stand alone business - again, at least around here.
A friend of a friend tried doing it in Northern MO. This person had the same issue. I think another issue is that he wasn't charging enough for the services. He also had the clearing equipment (dozer, skidsteer with mulching head) and might have had a few too many payments all at once. I've seen advertisements for other people in Iowa and Minnesota, but I have no idea what they charge.