No-till drill for Ford 9n?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Dad texted and said he wants a drill to pull behind his UTV (a small gas powered Kubota). He said he wanted me to be able to use it also. I've been Throw-n-Mow for a dozen yrs or so, don't even own a disc or drill. But, I would probably find a way to use one if handy. So what do you guys recommend? Is there a No-Till drill for a small machine like that? That would be perfect in my opinion.

I've changed the question...

Last edited:
Check out the Firminator. I used one behind my utv for a while. They are also selling a small pull behind drill now.

Quite a few people pull genesis 3 behind UTVs but typically with pretty large UTVs. I'm not sure how small / light your dad's kubota is?

573# for 7 rows seems awful light to use without tillage. 2200# + isn't enough all of the time with my 7 row drill.

What kind of soil do you have? How much you are doing? what are you planting?

Firminator is not a true seed drill. Its a combination disc cultivator, seed spreader, and cultipacker. The disc tear open the soil, the seeds get tossed in the mess, cultipacker mushes the mess down.

If you soil needs working more, you run a pass with the seed box disconnected, then on your next pass you put seed on. Dont own one, several folks have or do own them. Plotmaster is similar, but costs less.

If you own any of these implements, there are add on seed boxes from various suppliers. Landpride makes some light planting devices as well.

Most kubota gas utvs are the 500cc model. Early ones may not be liquid cooled, but last couple of years are. Been awhile since I've ridden in one, but you got the weight and if low range is a decent and not too low, you could push most utv devices ok. A front hitch mounted spreader with a tow cultipacker would make a good combo.

There are a few guys with firminator styled seeders who like what they have for the usual rye, clover, brassica medley. Woods makes them.

Wish I didnt see this thread, saw the rtv500 is only 10,000....... It would be nice if you have few words about the utv and how capable it is, like rutted logging lane, creek bed crossing, etc.... I know thr big kubotas arent that great

I know nothing about it, but have come across it in searching before.

Looked into that kubota some more the RTV500 is only 15hp and 1300lbs. I am building a 2 seed box firminator this summer for my 670lb 26hp honda 420cc honda rancher. for my limited weight and hp, looking at a 2 to 2.5ft wide double disc with a large 14 inch cultipacker wheel out back. seed will drop in tubes behing the 1st pass of discs.

That machine has little extra pulling Hp, you might be better off getting stuff to perfect your throw n mow. good sprayer, nice cultipacker, quality spreader, tow mower. At that little extra hp, i'd avoid any ripping style harrows. disc harrow stuff. the firminator is about 850lbs. What you can and cant do will be dictated by you soil type at this power level. 1300lb utv came with either atv or turf type tires. think you;d be ok in most cases with the turf tires.

plotmasters huter 300 is about 625lbs, it looks like the disc angle is fixed, but can put the tires down some to limit depth if needed. This little guy might be better suited for you. Id ask if they have a tire upgrade, something wider incase you get in mud by accident.

The atv Firminator worked great for me. The weight was great because it has a small footprint. Would scratch the surface for no till with one or two passes. To actually disc the ground takes multiple passes.

Dad got back with me, it's a 16hp UTV. I'll let him know what you guys are saying. Thanks!

Dad said he really doesn't want to tear up his Kubota. I'll rephase the question; what about a no-till drill for a Ford 9n? I think he may be tired of discing so much.

Atv Firminator 3’ can also be used with a 3pt tractor. That said, if using a tractor I would get the 6’. I have that one and still use a lot.

Dad said he really doesn't want to tear up his Kubota. I'll rephase the question; what about a no-till drill for a Ford 9n? I think he may be tired of discing so much.

You only have 16 HP with a 9N tractor and the 3 point only will lift about 600 lbs.......IF the hydraulic pump is up to snuff. You may be able to pull a 3 to 5 foot drill thru light soils.....but forget about picking up a 3 point drill......IMO. I would look for a small conventional DOUBLE DISCK drill from somebody that overhauls them. I think you could get a decent one for $2000 to $3000. Some are fairly heavy and you may be able to no-till with a decent set up. I've seen several on FB Marketplace that looked pretty good. Tho.....MUCH depending on your soils.

Better yet.....upgrade that old 9N to something more modern.....and get a 5' drill? I realize the costs go up quickly.

You only have 16 HP with a 9N tractor and the 3 point only will lift about 600 lbs.......IF the hydraulic pump is up to snuff. You may be able to pull a 3 to 5 foot drill thru light soils.....but forget about picking up a 3 point drill......IMO. I would look for a small conventional, pul type, l DOUBLE DISCK drill from somebody that overhauls them. I think you could get a decent one for $2000 to $3000. Some are fairly heavy and you may be able to no-till with a decent set up. I've seen several on FB Marketplace that looked pretty good. Tho.....MUCH depending on your soils.

Better yet.....upgrade that old 9N to something more modern.....and get a 5' drill? I realize the costs go up quickly.

You mean like "upgrading" to an 8n jubilee? Have seen guys report they can just pick up like 900 lbs but front wheel weights recommended to steer! Hey a huge 50% improvement

Actually upgrade to something from the 60s even and probably fine and still save some dough in the process

You mean like "upgrading" to an 8n jubilee? Have seen guys report they can just pick up like 900 lbs but front wheel weights recommended to steer! Hey a huge 50% improvement

Actually upgrade to something from the 60s even and probably fine and still save some dough in the process
I grew up behind the parts counter at my Dad's Ford Dealership. He was a "top 10" Ford dealer in the nation, when they sold those N tractors and the Jubliee's by the droves after WWII. I know some things about those old N Fords and models into the 70's or so.

The 8N was still a flat head motor and while it had some major improvements over the old 9N tractors (like a 4 speed transmission and better hydraulics, etc) they still didnt have allot more lift at the three point and no live PTO or live Hydrualics. You had to shift the tractor into neutral.....then let the clutch out to lift the implement.....then close the valve and shift the tractor into gear to move....etc (got old in a hurry let me tell you). The Jubilee replaced the 8N in 1953 and 1954 with an overhead valve engine and better hydraulic capacities among many other improvements. Still, pretty light and 3 point capacity was only about 1200 lbs IIRC. The really good utility tractors would be starting with the Ford 860 model in 1955. They have much better horsepower and hydraulic capacity, and live PTO and Live Hydraulics and an improved transmission, many with power steering,....etc. .....and models after the 860 continued to improve in capacities and HP ratings.

The Ford 4000 would make a good plotting tractor and check most all the boxes......IMO. Still they never offered them with 4WD and only a few were sold with the heavy duty front axel for significant loader work. .....yadda yada. Even then the 4000 Fords really lacked the hydraulic capacity to run a loader well....so we mounted allot of front crankshaft driven pumps (by Char Lynn) to power the loaders. Not much was "built in" to the tractor's design until about this time.

Back in the 1950's most of those tractors were sold as gas tractors......and the change to diesel started in the mid 50's to where most were diesel into the 60's. Eliminating lots of old carburetor issues and allot more torque.

We used to sell an "overhaul kit" for the N tractors and the Jubiliee's that would basically make an old tractor like new. Seems every winter we would "restore" a few of those old tractors to new condition with those COMPLETE overhaul kits. I remember just the parts kit was about $1200 in 1970's ....plus the labor and the new paint. they replaced all the bearings and bushing , seals, and such throughout the tractor.

I know allot of guys get along with these "N" tractors today....but they would not trip my trigger for food plotting or much else really. Too many other good options today. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Learning a lot from this thread!

Actually dad's ford is a Jubilee. We just got in the habit of calling it a 9n because lots of guys give you a funny look and don't know what the hell your talking about until you say "it's basically a 9n".

He also has a Alice 45wd, and a much bigger Alice diesel that I don't remember the model on. All very nice and in great working order. He wants to play with small stuff. So the Ford is getting the addition.

I have an old 8N I use at the cabin and it would be acceptable for conventional till/broadcast and harrowing or using a conventional drill such as an old Van Brunt.

654B6B50-7FCB-4C51-AD6F-5980D8D166E8.jpeg

Learning a lot from this thread!

Actually dad's ford is a Jubilee. We just got in the habit of calling it a 9n because lots of guys give you a funny look and don't know what the hell your talking about until you say "it's basically a 9n".

He also has a Alice 45wd, and a much bigger Alice diesel that I don't remember the model on. All very nice and in great working order. He wants to play with small stuff. So the Ford is getting the addition.
Some of the early Jubilee's did not have 'LIVE" hydraulics kinda like the N tractors....but many did have live hydraulics.....so you could operate the 3 point while operating the tractor when driving. MUCH PREFERRED. Also, I beleive a few Jubilee's had live PTO.....maybe that was the 1954 version? Too long ago for me to remember. The PTO and hydraulics that are run from a pump in the tranny are NON-Live .....and those run by the engine are live (that's a bit simplistic I suppose....because they had a two stage clutch which could stop your motion when pressed 1/2 way down but kept the PTO working....and when fully depressed stopped the forward motion and the PTO from spinning.). Some of those features are huge when operating a tractor. I dont think I could be satisfied without live PTO or live Hydraulics......and if you have a loader you want power steering (ask me how I know this....grin). So many things improved on tractors over the decades. Nobody could sell any tractors today without these features......and more. I still like those old tractors.....just not for getting stuff done.

I have an old 8N I use at the cabin and it would be acceptable for conventional till/broadcast and harrowing or using a conventional drill such as an old Van Brunt.

View attachment 51229
I doubt that you would operate a ten foot wide Van Brunt drill in most lands. Maybe?? Maybe a cut-down model like a six footer would work. Dunno.

When I was a kid.....most of those little N fords were used to operate grain elevators, pull bale wagons, blade roads, push some snow, run a sickle mower, for cultivator work, hay balling, post hole diggers, a 3 point "pan", pulling a gas engine powered, pull type, combine, and many more light duty tasks.....tho make no mistake......they got allot of work done. You gotta understand folks did not have nearly the kinda land under "the plow" for row crops back then. Instead many were diversified farmers and had lots of hay ground, pastures, and such. times changes quickly in the 50's and pretty soon large tractors and high horsepower were in demand. The little fords were relegated to utility work....and the Case's, Farmall's, John Deere, International Harvester, Oliver's, Cockshutt, Minneapolis Moline, Co-Op, and such did the heavy lifting (plow work).

Ford was always two steps behind in the race for Horsepower.....tho their use for utility tractors was hard to beat. They largely were no longer relevant in the larger farm race for bigger tractors and stubbled their toes with a few models that were kinda "Edsel's" in the farmers minds.......like the Ford 6000.....which was debut'd with some major flaws.....and never overcame that reputation....depite making a pretty good product in following years. <----that model really sealed the fate of Ford in the tractor biz....tho they did offer some good products to follow...they lost the sale numbers to go forward (IMO). Too late to the party.....too much $ for what could be had elsewhere. (Tho....almost all brands said above have gone broke since those times.)

Enter the Japanese tractors....first was Yanmar.....followed by Kubota and now many other brands.....all originating out of Japan, Korea, India, or CHINA. The USA may have shown the Jap's and others how to build tractors.....but the Japanese came back in spades....as well as the other nations mentioned. Far better equipment at a lower price....especially in the utility market. John Deere made a deal with Yanmar.....and the others followed Yanmar to capture much of the USA market for small tractors......not to mention the whole WORLD.

IMO the USA did this same thing in so many areas. We develop the tech....then pass it on to other nations to reap our tech. Now.....gonna be hard to re-enter those markets.....just as it was for Ford. Too little too late. Sad.

Last edited: