Rye into short fescue?

Johnrpb

Yearling... With promise
Have the opportunity this weekend to potentially spread rye into about 3 acres of fescue/hayfield immediately adjacent to both a large bedding area and a small pond and which can be hunted out of from a large old barn which is easily accessed. Due to circumstances out of my control I would be unable to kill the fescue. It is forecasted to rain .2-.5 inches every day next week. Couple of questions:
- Would I be wasting my time and money to spread 600lbs of rye over the three acres?
- should I just spread the rye or spread the rye and bushhog?

any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated

You get seed to soil contact, it will grow. Cereal Rye is one of the easiest plots to grow . It will grow without burying the seed. I always bury it, but I’ve broadcasted it before and it will grow. Obviously, in your case yours won’t be buried . How tall is the current field in hay? What state or zone you in?

You get seed to soil contact, it will grow. Cereal Rye is one of the easiest plots to grow . It will grow without burying the seed. I always bury it, but I’ve broadcasted it before and it will grow. Obviously, in your case yours won’t be buried . How tall is the current field in hay? What state or zone you in?
1/3 was cut short with zero turn, maybe 3 inches, remainder is 6-10 inches, hasn’t grown much since last cut given lack of rain last 6-8 weeks.
Middle Shenandoah valley in Virginia.

1/3 was cut short with zero turn, maybe 3 inches, remainder is 6-10 inches, hasn’t grown much since last cut given lack of rain last 6-8 weeks.
Middle Shenandoah valley in Virginia.
Cut area will do well. Other will only do fair. Still should do it.

I agree with Omicron

Cut area will do well. Other will only do fair. Still should do it.
would bushhogging after spreading the rye in the tall section improve the results enough to be worthwhile?

I would do it if you got the time.

would bushhogging after spreading the rye in the tall section improve the results enough to be worthwhile?
Definitely would. You have to go heavy heavy to get results, but with good rain you’ll have some success! Good luck.

I'd give 1 acre a try, if this is going to be something you can do every year. See how it works. As said before cut areas will do better.

If doing all 3 acres, experiment. Put some post out. Do 100,150, and 200 lbs an acre. Thinking the 150 won't be too different than the 200lbs.

Cut area, I'd do no more than 150lbs / acre.

I'd broadcast that with 8lbs / acre of medium red clover. Buy a 50lb bag and use 1/2. Or only use 5 lb an acre. Then in febuary throw another 5 lbs / acre in your 3 acre area, then use the remaining for next fall or put in a more borad area in the field.

This area must not be hayed or used by my guess. IF I was selling fescue hay, I wouldn't want rye straw in it.

A farmer my borther-in-law taugh his tricks of the trade, he switched from growing rye to wheat. Wheat seed gets more $$$ and the wheat can be hayed and sold for more too. About twice the price.