All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rootstock top experimentation time!

Here's a follow up on what happened with potting my M111 root prunings left over from potting bareroot trees last spring.

I planted the ones in October that looked good by then. Some of those I budded in August; others I planted as-is. I had five that I worried would not be able to survive without another year of attention. I left those in the cutoff two-liter pop bottles I had grown them in and put them all in a hole together. I pulled them out of the ground when the frost went out this spring. Today I noticed that four of them were showing white roots around the edges of the pop bottles and one looked dead. I transferred the live-looking four to larger containers. When I dumped the one that looked dead out of the pop bottle, I discovered that it was sending up a four inch tall leader from the base of the root, so I put it back in the pop bottle.

I have attached a photo.

In case you are wondering about the ice cubes, the potting mix I had on hand was very high in dry sphagnum peat moss and so didn't absorb much water when I soaked the pots. I've been using ice cubes to water other trees here for years as my sand is also a bit hydrophobic.

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 21