All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rootstock top experimentation time!

3cf2711f4b0d61848c59bbca39ed85cb.jpg

Leftover scion from seedlings and some suckers from the wild swamp crab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I opened some of the holes up to add more water. Leaves: buds are mostly growing down and then dry up and die.

This one might have been right side up.
6ba7a701c1ccb468f5ca78ab8a0ae8f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do think they should be planted like they'd grow, with the buds facing up. Still to early to tell probably, but I've got several takes again this year so far.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I put about half right side up and half pointed down. The ones right side up are growing much better than the others so far.

All are right side up. Did i miss something? Why would someone put them upside down?

I snipped about 1/4 inch off the tops and sealed with wax. Then I sliced the bark at the bottom 1" and stuck them in wet peat moss. When a few started budding, i moved them all to a larger planter with potting soil. All of them are growing so far. I will be over the moon if i get some gree trees out of this.

Had mine in sand for a couple weeks, then moved them to soil/sand/mulch mix. B118 and mm111.20180602_172819.jpg

Did they have any roots on them when you moved them?

Several had roots, with the rest still in the callous forming stage.

I had 8 that survived, 1 MM111 and 7 B118. Planted them in their permanent spots today, about 100 yards from the house. Will graft to honeycrisp and zestar next year or the year after depending on growth rate.

Growing medium I used was about 2/3 potting soil, and the rest split between play sand and pine shavings. It was light and fluffy and held moisture well without getting soggy. Drilled holes in the bottom of the tote for drainage. Found at least a dozen earthworms in there today. They must have crawled in through the drainage holes.

20180711_083618.jpg
20180711_115902.jpg
20180711_160521.jpg

Y'all have had good success! I'm guessing my final count will be around 7, all antanovka except 1 each of g890 and p18.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I had 11 out of about 20 take, from m111. After grafting I just dipped the cut end in rooting hormone and stuck in a raised bed,
Another 20 or so I did the same thing, except I stuck them in a pot with potting mix, and they all failed.
e0d6e415689166ea54dc2369a6260bc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Sorry to post twice in a row here, but my m111 cuttings have put on a lot of growth since the last photo, in the front half of the bed are all from cuttings. With all this growth and the rootstocks that i already have on order i will have a lot of cuttings to root next year.
6dcd6e3d9ac4e7bf42d786422b1bcfa6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Can that rooting hormone be bought at a Walmart or Menards type store? I was going to pitch all mine but now I'm interesting in trying them again this year.

Can that rooting hormone be bought at a Walmart or Menards type store? I was going to pitch all mine but now I'm interesting in trying them again this year.
Walmart definitely, or at least I've bought it there in the past. I bet all the big chain stores should carry it.

I potted several pre-grafted apple tree whips this month, pruning off any extra-long or defective roots. I put the M111 root trimmings into a pot instead of into a garbage can, and covered them with potting soil afterwards. Some of the whips had branches. I trimmed all those off and stuck them upright in a pot with dirt, instead of the garbage can. When I do my grafting next month, I'll likely do the same, plus put any leftover scions in a pot too. If I get a bonus tree out of this, that's great. If not, everything will just go into the same garbage can they were originally destined for anyway.

I'm going to give this a try this year too. I'm grafting around forty apples and pears with some in pots but the bulk heeled into a raised garden/nursery box I'm putting together in the next week or so. My rootstock is in a bucket of damp peat in the garage right now hasn't warmed up enough to quite woken them up yet.
I'll save the rootstock tops this year dip them in hormone and see if they throw some hair roots...I can always find more room for fruit trees or someone that can use them next year.

I've been able to get several takes each year I've done this. I moved a 2 year old tree up to the farm this spring I did that had a very nice root system too.

I got the hormone and slid them into a bucket of A-horizon Sable soil. I'll put them in the basement.

20190329_141240.jpg