2023 Drought vs. Apple Rootstocks

PoorSand

5 year old buck +
The U.S. Drought Monitor has had our area rated as under Severe Drought or Exceptional Drought for most of this summer, plus our soil is very sandy to begin with. I spent most of the day walking around orchards. I have listed below, grouped by rootstock, what I perceived as the average conditions of the apple tree whips under six feet tall that I observed today and that had not received any supplemental watering. I put ballpark sample sizes in parentheses for each grouping.
  • B118 (about ten of them) – Most survived, but on all those that survived, the trees died back to the graft unions.
  • M111 (a few dozen of them) – Quite a few dead, and most of the alive ones died back to just a few leaves or shoots above the graft union.
  • Standard (about a hundred of them) – Quite a few dead and just small leaves on most of the survivors. No new growth.
  • Antonovka (about a dozen of them) – All survived, but didn’t put on new growth.
  • Dolgo seedling (a few hundred of them) – Nearly all survived and most put on a modest amount of new growth.
  • Whips on DIY rootstock (about a dozen and a half of them) that had been DIY stooled from trunk suckers and root suckers of a couple older Dolgo seeding trees that are vigor standouts on this soil – They thrived in the drought, just like the parent trees did.
I hope this information helps somebody. I recall the question of drought tolerance of rootstocks coming up on here from time to time.

The U.S. Drought Monitor has had our area rated as under Severe Drought or Exceptional Drought for most of this summer, plus our soil is very sandy to begin with. I spent most of the day walking around orchards. I have listed below, grouped by rootstock, what I perceived as the average conditions of the apple tree whips under six feet tall that I observed today and that had not received any supplemental watering. I put ballpark sample sizes in parentheses for each grouping.
  • B118 (about ten of them) – Most survived, but on all those that survived, the trees died back to the graft unions.
  • M111 (a few dozen of them) – Quite a few dead, and most of the alive ones died back to just a few leaves or shoots above the graft union.
  • Standard (about a hundred of them) – Quite a few dead and just small leaves on most of the survivors. No new growth.
  • Antonovka (about a dozen of them) – All survived, but didn’t put on new growth.
  • Dolgo seedling (a few hundred of them) – Nearly all survived and most put on a modest amount of new growth.
  • Whips on DIY rootstock (about a dozen and a half of them) that had been DIY stooled from trunk suckers and root suckers of a couple older Dolgo seeding trees that are vigor standouts on this soil – They thrived in the drought, just like the parent trees did.
I hope this information helps somebody. I recall the question of drought tolerance of rootstocks coming up on here from time to time.

Very helpful! Where did you get your dolgo seedlings?

I am on light to medium soil but do not plant on blow sand. We will see what survives as I have some plantings along the edges of wetlands.

I still prefer dolgo rootstock.

I won't buy anything that isn't dolgo rootstock anymore. The trees are just so much more successful than all the others I've planted.

I won't buy anything that isn't dolgo rootstock anymore. The trees are just so much more successful than all the others I've planted.
Well said.

My trees on B118 did better than expected this summer in Central WI. Only lost 3 overall which was a pleasant surprise considering the extremely dry conditions. Was even able to pick some apples for eating.
IMG_7613.jpegI did graft some new trees on M-7 and that was a disaster. Many died in the month of June.
I also grafted to some seedling rootstock in the garden and most were successful although growth was less than normal years with the drought.

Cant speak of what rootstocks. However, did an experiment this summer. Put 2.5 gallon containers with a 1/8" hole next to my trees. Filled the bucket with water and let it slowly water the rootball. Maybe 10-15 minutes. Trees got the same amount of water during the northeast early summer dry spell. Trees were growing noticeably better. So, I put buckets out on all. I did notice the 1/8" was getting clogged, so I went with 3/16"s and some 1/4" 1/4" still produced good results, but the bucket was empty in about 5 minutes. 3/16" had minimal clogging, about 10% had to be fussed with when watered. Did both apple trees and pine / spruce trees.

Still tempted to rent a ditch witch and put an irrigation system in. Would like to see an traditional orchard setup. Seen the new style with small trees on trellises. After the november rut, I will rent a core aerator and go all around my young tree sites.

Is there a place I can purchase both antonovka and dolgo at the same place? Maybe even P18 and one of the 2?

I have loamy clay here, for my soil type M111 thrives best wet or dry. Dolgo does fine but tends to sucker more in my dirt.

The antonovka, was it seedling or grafted?

Id take a guess thst any seedling would be better than any graft with the summer you guys had.

I got a antonovka that didnt take grafts for 2 years. Letting her be an antonovka at camp. Makibg room for a m111 empire.

That seedling grew about 4 ft tall with easily a dozen branches, despite rejecting a tongue and whip.

I bought an Arkansas Black on a whim from Stark Nurseries when they had a sale on it.

Thy say its low bearing. I was wondering why they were promoting a tree that doesn't make many apples. Looked into it some more, it has high heat tolerance. Maybe a low bearing tree is better for drought prone areas.

We look for a mix of trees to cover different months of the sesaon, and even some for late frosts. Maybe having a few southern trees in the mix might be a good idea.