Rootstock top experimentation time!

Merle Hawggard

5 year old buck +
If you want a few free rootstocks remember to shove the cut off tops in a place easy to keep damp.
Last year I had no b118 takes, but Chuck and I both had several antaktova takes.
He used rooting hormone, I didn't with about the same outcome in our admittedly small test sample.
This is g890 I planted with hormone in march. They're all showing growth, one about an inch already.
Will they take? Time will tell!
c2f001f0b83d76d3e74f4fcedd12e403.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I have most of my 46 118, 111, and OHxF97 tops jammed in the potting soil tubs with my grafts right now. Do you just try to keep one bud above the soil line? How many inches or buds are below the soil?

Buds on my B118 tops are waking up. My basement was running around 60 F. I've been moving them outside into my colder garage.

I shove mine around 6 to 8 inches in the ground. This year I'm trying more with only a few buds above ground level where last year I had as much as 2' above ground.
They all put out leaves, but I think the taller tops were to much top for the developing rootstock to support.
I had those die with the takes being the shorter ones.

I also try to pull up suckers on my field trees. If it has a root, I'll stick it in a pot or nursery spot and see if it lives.

I have grown trees from a piece of root with just the tip exposed when you bury it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome! I put some in my raised bed when I trimmed all the water sprouts off of a wild pear and crabapple. I figured if I get 1 or two to take it would be worth it!

G890 tops showing good growth. The p18 tops are as well, but not as much. Time will tell if my "root success" is an actual success or not.
One will never know the thrill of victory by being afraid of the agony of defeat lol!
1a1ee95339c3d4b58e871308b59240c9.jpg

A couple of promising antonovka tops and b118 tops showing the same small growth followed by a slow death as last years.
It may be possible to root b118, but I'm thinking this year is strike two with them.
f7a961a9099ee8c47d1abcd4cc9b7af8.jpg
10a1f8b1b9fc3e7542e4f1af72b4b449.jpg

G890 tops showing good growth. The p18 tops are as well, but not as much. Time will tell if my "root success" is an actual success or not.
One will never know the thrill of victory by being afraid of the agony of defeat lol!

Did you scarifying or damage any of the buds you buried?

Did you scarifying or damage any of the buds you buried?

No, just wet them and dipped them in root hormone.

Giving it a try here too. They've been in moist pine shavings along with my grafts for the past two weeks. About a dozen were already showing some root growth. B118 and M111.
20180503_162914.jpg

I see one with the top tip covered with grafting compound - I would try to cover the other tips as well as this is the major escape hatch for moisture. Keeping them from drying out would be the key here.

3cf2711f4b0d61848c59bbca39ed85cb.jpg

Leftover scion from seedlings and some suckers from the wild swamp crab.

Exact same way I've done small batches of red osier cuttings... works well

That’s why I wanted to try it.

Can you get it plenty wet by just tucking the hose in each end?

yes, if in doubt just drizzle some on top it will go in through the holes poked into the bag. With the red osier the first time I watered it i really saturated the mix

I see one with the top tip covered with grafting compound - I would try to cover the other tips as well as this is the major escape hatch for moisture. Keeping them from drying out would be the key here.
Coated the tops with sealer today. I didn't think about it since the tops weren't fresh cuts, but cut by Cummins.

AA9B54F2-C212-4B8D-82AF-F5DB583454A6.jpeg

I’m late to the grafting this year but the m 111 had bur nots like this. I have been cutting off most of them and putting the cut off stem in soil. The ones I did a few weeks ago seem to be putting out green leaves.

Leftover scion from seedlings and some suckers from the wild swamp crab.

I opened some of the holes up to add more water. Leaves: buds are mostly growing down and then dry up and die.

This one might have been right side up.
6ba7a701c1ccb468f5ca78ab8a0ae8f2.jpg