All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rootstock find

jaximus

5 year old buck +
my brother bought 60 acres of land and we are planting 15 trees from woodstock nursery on it this spring.

the city decided they were going to put sidewalks in on my street and the neighbor across the street had some nice crab apple trees in his yard right in the path of the new sidewalk.

when the city workers were using the backhoe to pull up the root balls i asked if they could drop one in my yard so i could harvest some roots. they kindly did and now i have 14 really nice root chunks and a bunch of other not as nicely shaped root parts.

the poorly shaped parts i plan to just plant in his orchard area and hope something sprouts from them.

the real nice clumps i have in 2.5 gallon pots with a mix of topsoil and potting soil. they range in diameter for the graft area from 3/16" up to 7/16".

they are from the trees with the tiny red apples that never fall. i plan to attempt (first time trying) to graft the branches we prune off of the bare root trees from woodstock onto these.

i have no idea what rootstock it is, but they were free and i can try (and probably fail) at grafting and learn how better to do it next time.

i currently have them in 75/25 of topsoil/potting soil in 2.5 gallon pails from dollar tree. the rootstocks stick out from the top of the soil between 1 inch and 2.5 inches depending on where the roots forked. my plan is to grow these in buckets until i have the scions from the new trees, and graft them. then leave them in buckets until next spring.

im still waiting on the delivery of the trees, so in the meantime i plan on keeping the roots in their pots in the basement and kept moist. should i cover the wound with anything? plastic wrap over them so the cut doesnt dry out?

I have started a few crab apple trees from a piece of root. This is the time fo year when I have done so.

I had very small pieces of root and put a cellophane tent over the container. The tent was made of clothes hanger wire.

There must be a better way to grow them.

I suspect your grafting will be done next spring?

my intent is to graft this spring still, when i get my tree shipment in the next couple weeks. i know its on the late side, but these will be kept in buckets for this whole year and planted next spring. im hoping that keeping them in buckets whre i can bring them inside for poor weather will compensate for my late start.

the rootballs vary in size from pear sized to softball sized