Protein Supplementation article

Baker

5 year old buck +
An article has just been published in the July 2019 issue of Deer and Deer Hunting magazine written by Bob Zaiglan quantifying the impact on antler growth from a protein supplementation program. I've known Bob for years, the landowner is a close friend and I am intimately familiar with the ranch where the research was done. Bob is a solid researcher and the landowner is the most analytical person I have ever met.For anyone questioning the value of supplementation looking for quantifiable information, the article is a good read.What I know for a fact is the landowner has taken an average ranch and turned it into one of the best properties anywhere for whitetail deer by employing supplemental feed, water distribution and the simple principles of deer management.

For those of thus that don't get D&DH anymore, can you give us a summary of what he found? Where was the research done at?

One of the best discussions I've heard lately on the subject was on the MSU deer lab podcast. Very interesting look at the scale required for success and the limited extreme habitats where it may be the only option. Here is the link for those in the right niche: http://extension.msstate.edu/deer-u...e-034-want-start-supplemental-feeding-program

For those of thus that don't get D&DH anymore, can you give us a summary of what he found? Where was the research done at?
The research was done on a large private ranch along the Rio Grande River deep in the brush country. I spent a lot of time on the ranch before the new owner bought it and it's results were very average for the neighborhood with anything over 160" somewhat rare though occasionally something bigger popped up.

Using extensive camera surveys , { over 300,000 pics annually } helicopter survey twice a year, harvest comparison per buck age and personal observation they scientifically measured the impact [ improvement ] in antler growth correlated to protein consumption. Initially the new owner had a feeder per 600 acres and there was some improvement. In 2012 he increased feeder density to a feeder per 170 acres on a 39,000 acre game fenced ranch fed year round.

Looking at the specific results for the top 6 bucks harvested each year from 2012:
2012 average was 171" ranging from 150-183"
2013 " " 175" range 165-186
2014 average 188 range 163 to 214
2015 average 189 range 165- 213
2016 average 187 range 172 to 198
2017 average 206 range 182 to 244
You can see the steady improvement as more deer had more years on the pellets. I should also mention that many of the top end deer are not harvested every year which does impact the results though the trend is real

Interestingly in 2018 we had one of the deepest droughts in history with only 2-3" rain from January thru Sept. WE also had the largest mesquite bean crops in history. Mesquite beans are very sweet with 10-13% protein and the deer pulled off the pellets feasting on the beans. Antler quality tanked that year. The article quantifies the correlation between protein consumption and antler performance.

Thats the cliff notes.

The research was done on a large private ranch along the Rio Grande River deep in the brush country. I spent a lot of time on the ranch before the new owner bought it and it's results were very average for the neighborhood with anything over 160" somewhat rare though occasionally something bigger popped up.

Using extensive camera surveys , { over 300,000 pics annually } helicopter survey twice a year, harvest comparison per buck age and personal observation they scientifically measured the impact [ improvement ] in antler growth correlated to protein consumption. Initially the new owner had a feeder per 600 acres and there was some improvement. In 2012 he increased feeder density to a feeder per 170 acres on a 39,000 acre game fenced ranch fed year round.

Looking at the specific results for the top 6 bucks harvested each year from 2012:
2012 average was 171" ranging from 150-183"
2013 " " 175" range 165-186
2014 average 188 range 163 to 214
2015 average 189 range 165- 213
2016 average 187 range 172 to 198
2017 average 206 range 182 to 244
You can see the steady improvement as more deer had more years on the pellets. I should also mention that many of the top end deer are not harvested every year which does impact the results though the trend is real

Interestingly in 2018 we had one of the deepest droughts in history with only 2-3" rain from January thru Sept. WE also had the largest mesquite bean crops in history. Mesquite beans are very sweet with 10-13% protein and the deer pulled off the pellets feasting on the beans. Antler quality tanked that year. The article quantifies the correlation between protein consumption and antler performance.

Thats the cliff notes.

Great summation. I cant get deer to eat corn at a feeder - how do you get them to eat pellets. It may be because of readily available year round food plots?

One of the best discussions I've heard lately on the subject was on the MSU deer lab podcast. Very interesting look at the scale required for success and the limited extreme habitats where it may be the only option. Here is the link for those in the right niche: http://extension.msstate.edu/deer-u...e-034-want-start-supplemental-feeding-program
I'm very glad you posted that link and anyone considering or currently involved in protein supplementation should listen to the podcast in its entirety. Donnie is the biologist for the Commanche Ranch owned by Lee Bass which is only a couple of miles from me and they have been doing cutting edge research for a long time. Directly across the river from me is the Faith Ranch owned by Stuart Stedman ...one of the sharpest deer guys anywhere...where they have also done extensive landmark research on many aspects of deer and deer mgt.

My good friend Dr. Harry Jacobson started the deer research program at Ms. State and ran it for many years before going into private consulting. They continue his legacy of quality research with its practical application for landowners. Together these folks are the best in the business.

Couple of thoughts on the podcast. Absolutely and unequivocally protein supplementation should be the last tactic considered for the average landowner and is the most expensive tool in the quiver. That said though it is unarguable that an effective protein supplementation increases all aspects of herd performance. Donnie talks about a 15" average measured increase in antler growth. What he doesn't say is that some specific bucks had a much greater increase . He also doesn't get into things like increased recruitment, increased body weights, increased longevity and overall improvement in herd health.

He also talks about the generational improvement that results from enhancing the nutritional plane. This cannot be emphasized enough! It is powerful and the benefits continue to accrue . It Impacts all aspects of the herd. However to realize these benefits you have to have enough feeder density and acreage scale to impact a relatively large herd.

Donnie explores the differences in S.Tx. vs. the rest of the country and his observations are valid. The Commanche along with all the arid southwest has a different requirement vs. for ex. the gulf coast.or the far north. That doesn't mean that protein supplementation has no value elsewhere just that there can be more cost effective options in different locales. I have been feeding protein in La. for maybe 20 years + all the while providing extensive food plots, timber mgt., herd mgt etc. While there is no doubt in my mind that the supplementation has provided great value I have learned I only need to feed from January thru the first of Sept. Once acorns start falling protein consumption stops completely. That said though even with a very high natural nutritional plane deer readily consume a material portion of their diet with pellets.

What also needs to be said is you will notice no mention of any concern whatsoever regarding disease or any health issues associated with supplemental feeding . Protein supplementation has been extensively studied not only on the comanche, the Faith , by Ceasar Kleburg, the Noble Foundation , other state institutions, as well as anecdotally by uncountable private ranches and farms and never, not once has there been any association with feed causing negative health issues. This should bring comfort to those that think, in theory, there might be a problem

I can go on as I am very familiar with this research but enough for now. Great podcast on interesting subject. Give it listen

Great summation. I cant get deer to eat corn at a feeder - how do you get them to eat pellets. It may be because of readily available year round food plots?
I can only assume it is because your deer are from Arkansas .:) What kind of deer doesn't eat corn??? Regarding getting a deer to eat pellets you might try increasing the molllases content for a while . Unfortunately they have outlawed [ stupid politics! ] adding CTC to feed as that definitely increases attraction cause it make the deer feel better. Donnie alluded to this in the podcast but probably wisely didn't get in to it.

... That said though it is unarguable that an effective protein supplementation increases all aspects of herd performance....

Baker,

I would agree with that in the context of the SW and other arid habitat with a high intensity program. I don't think we have evidence that there is improvement higher quality habitat. Intuitively, one would expect some improvement, but I would guess the differential would be significantly less.

By the way, I love to see your science based posts. So many folk today are more influenced by hype than data. My entire approach to wildlife management has gone through an evolution over time. Much of it has been based on our increasing knowledge of the different species and its interaction with the habitat, but much has also been an evolution on my part as to objectives.

Thanks,

Jack

I’m sure it works. And I’m sure steroids would be even more awesome! But at some point we can just remove the label of hunter and call ourselves ranchers.

Baker,

I would agree with that in the context of the SW and other arid habitat with a high intensity program. I don't think we have evidence that there is improvement higher quality habitat. Intuitively, one would expect some improvement, but I would guess the differential would be significantly less.

By the way, I love to see your science based posts. So many folk today are more influenced by hype than data. My entire approach to wildlife management has gone through an evolution over time. Much of it has been based on our increasing knowledge of the different species and its interaction with the habitat, but much has also been an evolution on my part as to objectives.

Thanks,

Jack
I agree that we don't have measurable evidence once essentially you leave Tx. It also seems reasonable to assume that as you get to areas with higher rainfall where crops can be grown the benefits diminish.On my farm what I believe I see is the generational improvement or epigenetic response from a highly elevated nutritional plane over generations. Hard to distinguish how much of that is crops vs. pellets vs. habitat management. Nonetheless I believe pellets add significant value and I say that because irrespective of the high quality environment the deer still consume a material portion of their diet from pellets. I have a feeder per 60 acres and feel confident that the entire herd participates with the feed. I cant quantify the gain though.

I agree that we don't have measurable evidence once essentially you leave Tx. It also seems reasonable to assume that as you get to areas with higher rainfall where crops can be grown the benefits diminish.On my farm what I believe I see is the generational improvement or epigenetic response from a highly elevated nutritional plane over generations. Hard to distinguish how much of that is crops vs. pellets vs. habitat management. Nonetheless I believe pellets add significant value and I say that because irrespective of the high quality environment the deer still consume a material portion of their diet from pellets. I have a feeder per 60 acres and feel confident that the entire herd participates with the feed. I cant quantify the gain though.

Epigenetics....another cools area with emerging evidence!

I’m sure it works. And I’m sure steroids would be even more awesome! But at some point we can just remove the label of hunter and call ourselves ranchers.
Hunters..... or ranchers...or both.
I grow a large organic garden that supplies a significant portion of our diet. I add organic amendments to grow as nutrient dense food as possible.I want the highest quality garden possible. Its my nature.

I grow a significant amount of acreage in year round food plots for deer, turkeys, doves, plus all the other critters and birds that take advantage. I work hard doing everything I know how to do to improve the soil thus improve the crops thus improve all that benefit from them. While not totally organic I'm darn close. I want the highest quality food plots possible. Its my nature.

I do annual timber management removing inferior trees to constantly try to increase the quality of the forest on my property. Been doing it for 40 years cause I want the highest quality forest the area can support. its my nature.

I intensively manage the deer herd using the fundamental elements of deer management. I do everything I can to enhance and increase the nutritional plane to the benefit of the deer. I want the highest quality, healthiest deer herd possible for the environments I have been blessed to get to manage. Its my nature.

I could go on.

Hunters..... or ranchers...or both.
I grow a large organic garden that supplies a significant portion of our diet. I add organic amendments to grow as nutrient dense food as possible.I want the highest quality garden possible. Its my nature.

I grow a significant amount of acreage in year round food plots for deer, turkeys, doves, plus all the other critters and birds that take advantage. I work hard doing everything I know how to do to improve the soil thus improve the crops thus improve all that benefit from them. While not totally organic I'm darn close. I want the highest quality food plots possible. Its my nature.

I do annual timber management removing inferior trees to constantly try to increase the quality of the forest on my property. Been doing it for 40 years cause I want the highest quality forest the area can support. its my nature.

I intensively manage the deer herd using the fundamental elements of deer management. I do everything I can to enhance and increase the nutritional plane to the benefit of the deer. I want the highest quality, healthiest deer herd possible for the environments I have been blessed to get to manage. Its my nature.

I could go on.

And that’s great. I never said anything to the contrary about you personally, I really enjoy your work and knowledge you share about certain things. I’m just commenting on the state of deer hunting. For right or wrong we aren’t gonna stop until we grow antlers so big their necks can’t support them. I love giant antlers as much as the next guy, I’m just confused/concerned that we are turning into animal husbandry and losing the pursuit of something pure. Once again it’s personal and not a knock on anyone who does it differently.

Tell me what a guy can do on 80 acres that would have a big impact?

Anything you want that brings you joy and enjoy the privilege of land ownership. It is a wonderful thing.Probably not going to influence the quality of a deer herd though.

The question is impact on what? On the deer herd...not much. On huntability, possibly a lot depending on the circumstances. On the next generation of conservationist hunters...Huge!

The takeaway from this study for 95%+ should not be "Protein pellets work and we should use them." It should be "The genetic potential for antler size in the study area in Texas and potentially similar arid habitat, far exceeds what can be realized by general habitat manipulation (including food plots). Why? In most areas of the country food plots work by evening out the dips in quality food supply that occur naturally. The key is planting plots that provide quality food when mother nature is otherwise stingy. In most areas of the country these gaps occur cyclically. In highly arid regions, there is no way to fill these gaps with food plots alone because of the lack of water. As Baker describes, these are the very most expensive way to manage and I love his analogy of the last arrow in the quiver.

Are there ethical issues with supplemental feeding? I'm sure there are, depending on how it is done, but that is for another discussion. For now, we see that if one is in one of these extreme areas and has very deep pockets, it is possible to realize the genetic potential of the deer. The rest of us should consider this. If the lack of quality food is the lowest hole in your bucket, providing quality nutrition through habitat manipulation. This is not just true for the current crop of deer, but other studies show that through epigenetics, it can have even larger impacts on future generation.

Like anything else in deer management, impacting the herd requires scale. If you don't have sufficient scale, you may want to focus your habitat efforts on huntability.

Thanks,

Jack

I can’t relate to large southern feeding stations. I’m in the Midwest, just thought you might have some tips for the small guy.

Anything you want that brings you joy and enjoy the privilege of land ownership. It is a wonderful thing..

This is a topic that starts focused and always gets bigger with time. I have a mix of feelings, thoughts, and beliefs wrapped up in that topic. Some thoughts are stronger than others. Given a few cold beers and stroll or two on those properties it would be a fun experience to pick the brains of those property managers - especially given all the resources I'm guessing that are available there to work with and the acreage, oh the acreage! ... I would be like a kid with bag full of big toys and nothing but time to play.
All that being said .... thee best approach to managing one's land was wrapped up right there in your statement........ and yes It is a wonderful thing!

Its a matter of scale but I'm blessed to have an opportunity to play on my little corner of the world and I too embrace the approach that what you do should bring you joy as a byproduct of the absolute privilege of land ownership.

Last edited:
I cant get bucks to eat corn at a feeder right now, let alone protein pellets. Maybe if my land were high fenced and they had less freedom of movement and less of a food source, they would be more likely to eat it. They will readily accept high protein planted summer food crops like beans and clover.