CWD and EHD article. Which kills more deer?

cbw

5 year old buck +
I think this is the most level-headed article that I’ve read on the CWD topic. By Dr. James Kroll.

“Therefore, killing thousands of deer will do nothing to eradicate CWD! Now, CWD certainly should never be taken lightly. I am not saying that; however, in 2002, I stuck my neck out and made a calculated statement that, unless you can answer “yes” to the following questions, CWD will remain off or low on the list of top whitetail mortality agents: 1. Will it devastate deer herds? 2. Can humans catch the disease?

After the 20-plus years since I made that statement, there has been no credible scientific evidence that the answer to either question is yes.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t given two thoughts about cwd since it burst onto the scene. I worry about ehd every summer.

Reactions: cbw
While it’s endemic in the area I’ve hunted the last 15 years, I’ve never personally seen a cwd infected deer or one that may have died from it. But I still don’t think it’s smart to feed or bait deer (🥊 😇).

12 years ago I was in Sd pheasant hunting and our group found 11 nice bucks dead from EHD in one morning! You could find them with your nose. Bad, bad deal.

Option C - Lead poisoning?

I think this is the most level-headed article that I’ve read on the CWD topic. By Dr. James Kroll.

“Therefore, killing thousands of deer will do nothing to eradicate CWD! Now, CWD certainly should never be taken lightly. I am not saying that; however, in 2002, I stuck my neck out and made a calculated statement that, unless you can answer “yes” to the following questions, CWD will remain off or low on the list of top whitetail mortality agents: 1. Will it devastate deer herds? 2. Can humans catch the disease?

After the 20-plus years since I made that statement, there has been no credible scientific evidence that the answer to either question is yes.”

Thanks for posting this article. It is a great read. I have had the exact same thoughts about lack of carcasses in areas with higher CWD numbers. I don't think there is really anything new added to the conversation, but the way it is framed will be helpful for having more meaningful discussions going forward. He is right that it has been and will continue to be a difficult task to quantify the mortality rates for both diseases. I think current academics (deer biologists and other wildlife ecologists) definitely get this, and err on the side of being more precise with language based on current research. An Emeritus professor later in their career can be a little more nuanced with their language - hence his leaning on anecdotes and opinions included, which you don't normally get to see.

Reactions: cbw

While I don’t know where I stand with respect to CWD, Kroll is not an unbiased source. Millions of deer survive EHD every year and has been a sickness among deer for eons. Im led to believe CWD is 100% fatal and is a new disease. If those things are true I definitely feel more concern for CWD. Kroll is bought and paid for by the deer farming lobby and is not to be trusted on issues that can impact laws pertaining to transport of whitetails.

Thats the article I referred to above,thanks for posting

I have a neighbor who owns 1200 acres with a very high deer density - probably somewhere around a deer per five acres. It is a working cattle ranch - about half woods and half fields. We have not had a confirmed cwd case locally, and ehd is not considered to be a serious problem. Typically, one or two deer are killed by hunters each year on his place. That said, I have asked the rancher how many dead deer he finds a year and he said maybe one or two. I also have a fairly high deer density on my 350 acres. I average finding a dead deer every other year. We kill three or four deer every year. A dead deer here will be noticeable for about three days. After that, you most likely wont find a bone at the original site of death. I believe ehd, in a bad year, kills deer in masse, making it more likely to find them. Predators may kill more cwd infected deer before they actually perish on their own - and dispose of the carcass before a human ever sees it. I dont know how long a deer is in a debilitated state before death actually occurs from cwd, but it is hard to imagine, around here at least, that a noticeably sick deer would last more than a couple of days before a coyote or bobcat would kill it.

Last edited:
The thing with CWD, if it’s pretty advanced, is I should see skinny or sickly deer on my cams. But I never have.

With wolves, bears, bobcats, coyotes and fishers on my land year round, the “weak” get disappeared fast. But I do think I can see the kill site for several weeks on my place. I find 2-4 every year that I always assume are wolf kills. Gut pile, lots of hair, usually a skull with the nose chewed off. No way to tell how it died, only that it got ate.

Who knows though…I’m sure the predators notice something is “wrong” with a CWD infected deer long before I would.

I personally believe wolves and bears alone kill 1000 times more deer than CWD, TB, EHD, or XYZ combined….on my place.