predator control

My wife is dead set against trapping so that is entirely out of the question - as well as I have 3 dogs that would find one eventually. Anyone have any decent results calling them? I would love to thin some out, but for me they tend to be a target of opportunity more than anything. I have ruined a deer hunt or 2 just to shoot a yote before.

We just don't have the coyote problems we once had. I can go years between seeing one out hunting. Try getting some wolves to keep their numbers in check. They work wonders at keeping them at manageable levels!

Coyotes arent this easy to kill.
1B117328-93A7-4720-9014-D04FA78D8060.jpg

Dipper ... what is the typical opening size of a den hole for a coyote?

I have several like the picture above and may have mistaken them for other critters.

Try getting some wolves to keep their numbers in check

No - not funny Steve!!!! Sounds like some bad idea my DNR would offer up as a solution. After I have heard the other guys talking about them it sounds like they are eating machines. I'll tolerate my yotes if I have to first. I don't have a "lot" of yotes. I just prefer to keep them in check as much as possible. They seem to do a number on my rabbit population as it is. I can't have too many - I looked for a buck and found it 7 days later and the yotes never touched.

My wife is dead set against trapping so that is entirely out of the question - as well as I have 3 dogs that would find one eventually. Anyone have any decent results calling them? I would love to thin some out, but for me they tend to be a target of opportunity more than anything. I have ruined a deer hunt or 2 just to shoot a yote before.

My son got one on Sat night calling. 4 came in, he dropped one, but missed the follow up shots.

My son turned one into a mess over the holiday - shot was about 300+ yards with my 22-250, but we never found it. Blood in the field looked like I had shot a deer with a 12 gauge slug! It didn't survive I am sure of that. Like I said just a target of opportunity. He missed the first shot and the dumb thing stopped. My son tends to ask me, "how far is it Dad?" When it comes to a yote my reply comes after I have shot. If I hit it the answer is, "Not far enough." My theory on yotes is - I can't kill it if I don't shoot. I have just never actually hunted them.

Dipper ... what is the typical opening size of a den hole for a coyote?

I have several like the picture above and may have mistaken them for other critters.
A foot or so, and they are round. Badger dens are easy to differentiate because they are flat. This hole was riddled with yote track, and is in my quasi sanctuary. That's why sanssctuaries are never sanctuaries because there are always non human predators using them.
Kinda funny how you bring up seeing them during deer season. I could count on one hand the number of yotes I've seen deer hunting the last 20 years. They are very nocturnal.
You need open country To call them. They wind you and you never see them in the more wooded areas like my farm. I think everyone has tried calling yotes in our group, and we've only had 2 shots opportunities in hundreds of hours of hunting.

J have you looked into cable restrant trapping at all. They are similar to a snare, but don't kill the animal. They work like a dogs choke collar, they relax when the animal stops tugging. I run these on my trap line, and have caught some quite a few yotes. They also have deer stops on them and a break away hook that deer would be able to get out. Anyone that tries this method should do a lot of research first.Laws are different in many states. Also sets need to be done at the right height and location so you only catch coyotes. They should not be set on deer trails either.

Ruskbucks - I don't think those are legal in Indiana but I would have to check to be certain.

the hunting conditions were very poor, but the team is still killing yotes. Nothing beats Sally's nose and her hunting skills, she is an awesome hound. She had a close call with a bear this summer, which is scarey. I dumped this yote and it's just another touchdown for her.
E98A543C-8D0B-430C-B003-63F68FC63625.jpg

My buddy got this one. She doesn't even need to be put on a lead after the hunt. Don't be fooled, if she winds a coyote in any way she's off to the races.
094688AF-2760-4922-87E6-E890F41330FA.jpg

I've heard people say that "coyotes will not take down mature deer and they go after the newborn fawns." After seeing that Youtube video of the yotes down in Bloomington, MN and seeing 2 coyotes chasing 3 whitetails in the park reserve this morning, that statement is not accurate. Next winter I'll be a player in the predator hunting game.

I've heard people say that "coyotes will not take down mature deer and they go after the newborn fawns." After seeing that Youtube video of the yotes down in Bloomington, MN and seeing 2 coyotes chasing 3 whitetails in the park reserve this morning, that statement is not accurate. Next winter I'll be a player in the predator hunting game.
We had coyotes take down bucks out on clear lake ice in northern Mn. about 40 years ago. Once they slip on the ice, they are lunch.

A foot or so, and they are round. Badger dens are easy to differentiate because they are flat. This hole was riddled with yote track, and is in my quasi sanctuary. That's why sanssctuaries are never sanctuaries because there are always non human predators using them.
Kinda funny how you bring up seeing them during deer season. I could count on one hand the number of yotes I've seen deer hunting the last 20 years. They are very nocturnal.
You need open country To call them. They wind you and you never see them in the more wooded areas like my farm. I think everyone has tried calling yotes in our group, and we've only had 2 shots opportunities in hundreds of hours of hunting.
We've had success where we can spread shooters out for a ways downwind of the caller....like 4-5 shooters spread out 5-600 yds down wind. In wooded and hilly terrain the yotes will use the terrain as cover to get down wind then they will start their approach through the woods if they don't immediately pick off the caller. By having the line of shooters out downwind or even slightly quartering into the wind we have put some dogs right into their laps. It takes the right set up for it to work. And it's important to get the shooters in place for a while ahead of the caller. It's also important to make sure the shooters stay put for a long time...the dogs sometimes take a while make their down wind swing.

Had two does in my food plot this fall, one was 6 months old. They were nervous and one did the foot stomp as they watched an area to the left of me. A coyote came busting out about 30 yards and tried to catch the younger one. No dice.....the deer escaped by a few yards. The action happened very close to my stand (30 yards or so). I was not prepared to shoot in so little time. Saw two yotes on stand and had lots of howling going on at dark. We got way too many yotes......and I am in AZ doing nothing about it.

Damn I love this stuff. Today's hunt started in a 10 acre Christmas tree plantation. The dogs busted 4 coyotes outta there. Some lead flew and a buddy dumped one. I got this one in a thick swamp a couple miles later. We coulda got more hunting in but the guys wanted to watch the packers.
I ran into a shed hunter in the bush. His dogs found him one little spike. Right before I shot this yote I saw 6 bucks, which were all holding.
The brown dog is our crazy dog cash. The guy is a block head but he done good today. He was all over this yote and I let him bask in the glory of our kill for a little bit.
6908699B-1C72-4084-A685-CCD36C68A50B.jpg

He actually had a pretty good coat. I took a could barely see him brush shot and actually hit him with a bb or 2 into the guts. Than he turned and ran right at me. A mouth full of #4 buck did him in.
96ED7BFE-DFBA-42F6-ACAD-337D32AB38F9.jpg

23C332A6-292E-43FA-89A1-ACAE44D5971D.jpg

Kudos dipper and your clan. Just dont step on my place without permission. All those pretty dogs and You will be pinched.
Haha, we are miles from you, that Marion crew dumps a lot of yotes too. We take crap from one of the farmers that we better produce or he'll let those Marion guys in. We have people begging us to hunt their land. They are places we cant go, so we don't.

They say domestic abuse arrests sky rocket after a packer loss. Just don't take it out on your old lady guys.
Our main crew owns well over $20,000,000 worth of land alone. We might be rednecks but are far from low rents.

Last edited by a moderator: