The dog spot

My boy Bruno has always been blind in one eye, his cornea burst when he was 3 weeks old from an eye infection is what I was told. He came to us named Uno because of this, my daughter thought Bruno was close enough to adapt.

His eye has slowly swollen over the last year for some reason so the Vet advised we remove it. I dropped him off this morning and currently waiting for the call to go pick him up.

He love’s stealing dirty socks out of the laundry bin for some reason 😎

BC6D6469-3D95-4546-8E10-7D8886A24125.jpeg

893781B7-1190-40E2-8DE0-EC3CE5149563.jpeg

My boy Bruno has always been blind in one eye, his cornea burst when he was 3 weeks old from an eye infection is what I was told. He came to us named Uno because of this, my daughter thought Bruno was close enough to adapt.

His eye has slowly swollen over the last year for some reason so the Vet advised we remove it. I dropped him off this morning and currently waiting for the call to go pick him up.

View attachment 51757

View attachment 51758
Hopefully he heals up quick, that's a great pic of the sock thief.

Certainly not great hunting dogs but hard to beat grateful, loyal rescues. Gotta love our furry friends.

Attachments

• E25B094C-2DE6-4ADE-8870-6340C84FF7A2.jpeg
    E25B094C-2DE6-4ADE-8870-6340C84FF7A2.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 18
  • EC9B8D19-6BB5-4E3C-9E11-AE08190384D3.jpeg
    EC9B8D19-6BB5-4E3C-9E11-AE08190384D3.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 18
2dfe2bf8a992af1bcccc08cfa3aaa6d7.jpg

0579967e1cb9f234e9af62ae9007dd6e.jpg

1df4b392759c42fc3a83b96f6a50816f.jpeg

6f7078411e385242589e5f34cd524093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 51757

View attachment 51758
Is he past the point of trying eye drops to reduce the pressure on the eye? Glaucoma is what it sounds like to me. If it has taken a long time for the eye to enlarge that much using eye drops could be an option.

Sorry about the poorly timed response. I didn't notice I was too late with my response--apologies.

Is he past the point of trying eye drops to reduce the pressure on the eye? Glaucoma is what it sounds like to me. If it has taken a long time for the eye to enlarge that much using eye drops could be an option.
All good bud, the Vet associated it with the original injury and never diagnosed what it was. They did offer things like pills and eye drops but since he lost vision when only weeks old I didn’t want to pay for all the drugs and end up removing his eye anyway.

He (and I) didn’t get much sleep last night as he was whining all night. I don’t know if he’s in pain or just not comfortable with it yet. They said the surgery went well so I’m hopeful today. He’s drooling like crazy but pretty heavily medicated.

He’s officially a pirate lol Sorry the pictures come out so big, not sure why mine are bigger than others posting.
BC334151-BC23-4E73-B40F-CDE740C6B438.jpeg

He's AKC registered. Bloodline goes back to ARHA Champion Ellison Ridge Red Man.
Here is a few others I owned, Tibbs and Sena. I've ran red beagles for close to 50 years.
3ed214953278d563f1e10d094cbe6321.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I don't believe I have ever seen a red beagle before. Neat looking dogs!

He's AKC registered. Bloodline goes back to ARHA Champion Ellison Ridge Red Man.
Here is a few others I owned, Tibbs and Sena. I've ran red beagles for close to 50 years.
3ed214953278d563f1e10d094cbe6321.jpg

Those are some nice looking dogs. Are they pretty popular where you're at? I don't think I've ever seen a beagle in person. Have heard they are great family dogs.

Those are some nice looking dogs. Are they pretty popular where you're at? I don't think I've ever seen a beagle in person. Have heard they are great family dogs.
Thanks! They were somewhat popular in the late 80's early 90's. There's always been a fringe group that runs them through.
Mine are very fast, a little wild on the line at times and my males are a bit aggressive with each other if not running rabbits.
Certain males I can't turn lose with each other in my fence at home, but are perfectly fine out running.
Still, I feel the positives outweigh the negatives. They're a lot of fun to watch.

Have two little lovable rescue mutts at the moment, but always been partial to giant breed dogs, though, God knows you're sure to suffer lots of grieving with them as they tend to be short-lived.

May well have posted about him when he passed, but the king of big dogs I've owned was one I callled Zeus. And honestly can't say I "owned" him, or for that matter was even completely the Alpha in our relationship. We took him in when he was about a year old from a young female student who was keeping him in a small college apartment at FSU where she said she wasn't giving him enough time or space. He was supposedly a mix between Great Dane and Mastiff, and size wise I believe it as the half dozen or so Great Danes we owned previously topped out about 150 and when last we weighed Zeus he weighed 170+ and that's just the number we got before he jumped off the scale.

Being a fan of big dogs, I'd always made it a practice to be fairly strict with them when young so they'd see me as the lead so I could help keep them under control once huge. Even when young, Zeus had so much confidence I never felt I really got the Alpha role and it was more like we just called it even with a truce.

Can promise you this, never saw ANY visitors fail to respect his presence when showing up at our gates. Words will fail me on why the bond I had with him was just a tad stronger / more memorable than a dozen or so other dogs I've had and loved, but something just made him special.

Zeus 4.jpg

Zeus 9.jpg

Zeus 5.jpg

Zeus 6.jpg

Got a doozy of a story to tell on another set of danes we owned but will save that for another day. 👍

Last edited:
I had to have my 12 year old lab put to sleep this morning.man this sucks.I asked my wife why the hell anyone would want to have a dog, then a minute later it was why would anyone not want to have one.My lab never retrieved a bird and was really gun shy and a big baby.Found a few horns and could chew a garden hose in to faster than you could catch her.I didn't know if I would get another dog but I might.If I do I want it to be smaller than my 70 lb lab and not to shed.Mostly shed hunt and ride around dog. Going to be a long weekend

I had to have my 12 year old lab put to sleep this morning.man this sucks.I asked my wife why the hell anyone would want to have a dog, then a minute later it was why would anyone not want to have one.My lab never retrieved a bird and was really gun shy and a big baby.Found a few horns and could chew a garden hose in to faster than you could catch her.I didn't know if I would get another dog but I might.If I do I want it to be smaller than my 70 lb lab and not to shed.Mostly shed hunt and ride around dog. Going to be a long weekend
Sorry to hear that buckdeer, that sucks. Take care and best wishes.

Sorry to read that buckdeer, You are in my thoughts. I've been down that road to many times myself.

Sorry man! I still get teary eyed reading about these stories. I love dogs, I just wish they would live as long as we do.

I moved to my hunting land a little over 2 years ago, we had a springer and 2 Brittish labs. We are down to 1 lab left, we lost the other 2 shortly after they turned 13, and our last one turned 12 in July. We know her days arent long, but we love and care for her like family.