predator control

D

dipper

We are kicking a$$ again in central wi killing yotes. We are off to a great start and the breeding season hasn't even started yet. Last year we hit 41. We are already at 19.
This 3 legged bastard pulled out my 3' stake and i lost my leg hold. We ended his misery but he must have chewed off his leg with my trap on him.
D1ADACBB-0364-4B43-B6E7-DA0CC28CAA51.jpg

The real hunters
7A1B78F9-6A09-4CAE-9ED5-4B7CB2F0C525.jpg

My ole man finished the day off, more tomorrow
668522C2-813E-4F33-85FB-9392473158E2.jpg

I can't imagine what the yote populations are in areas they aren't being culled. We keep killing them and they just keep showing up. There is also a few legit trappers in the area, but these yotes keep showing up.
besides coon hunting back in the day, this is the most fun I've had hunting. This is probably more fun because it is such a team effort and our core group works really well together.
I highly suggest inviting a houndsman on your property, and join them. That's how I got in. they asked me to hunt one time, and I joined them, now I'm hooked.

This is pretty much the core group. This group combined owns a lot of land, well over 2000 acres. Some great friendships
E96F5D17-DCBC-486B-81A2-EB92F65B0743.jpg

Kids get in on the action too. The chase gets your blood flowing. They ain't nothing better seeing a yote with some screaming hounds on his heels.
24B38797-C30F-4CEE-838E-7181F69B1E64.jpg

Good work! I am grateful our neighbors run a lot of traps on their 2000 acres and take a lot of them out. It sure helps.

Last time I was out bow hunting it was right after a fresh snow. Right over the top of fresh turkey tracks were some yote tracks.

On the positive, this was the first year bow hunting in 4 years I didn't see a yote while on stand.

Great pics, my oldest son got into running yotes with dogs and I went with him a couple times, good fun hunting.

Reactions: BOC
2 down this am, we are just putting on another set of three. We had another 3 a mile awAy, and only got one of them.
0B6CBCBB-F8A4-426E-9665-BEE699CD0256.jpg

One guy trapping will do nothing to the population.

There is a large crew around the Henning area that does the hound hunts.

I would love to see how these are done.

I have a group that hunts my road with them. They usually get around 30 a year.

I hunted with a group of houndsmen up in otsego county ny, about ten yrs ago and it was a blast. We got 3 that day and their group as whole were killing between 40 and 60 a year in those days. There were some sizeable killed by these guys in that area. Lots of upper 40lber's, good number of low 50lber's and a 57lber and a 62lber.

My neighbors up in MN coyote hunt every year and usually take anywhere from 60-100 coyotes a year. They're pretty good at getting them once they get on a fresh track.

Coyotes are like Hydra, cut off one head and two grow back. I heard some interesting research about coyotes. If you have "X" number that cover a territory then the new pup count will be suppressed but if you create a small void by only killing a few on your property they will increase pup output. That was the reasoning some states are not supporting state sponsored predator control. If that is true then you really need to clean house in an area or try to take them out before fawning season.

I love the pics of all those dead yotes.

Coyotes are like Hydra, cut off one head and two grow back. I heard some interesting research about coyotes. If you have "X" number that cover a territory then the new pup count will be suppressed but if you create a small void by only killing a few on your property they will increase pup output. That was the reasoning some states are not supporting state sponsored predator control. If that is true then you really need to clean house in an area or try to take them out before fawning season.

some of the studies they've done here in AZ shows that without predator control the deer and antelope population stays depressed and actually lowers because of poor fawn recruitment from excess predation. I believe the study you site would only work if people only hunted coyotes for only 1 year and then let then come back. If you hunt coyotes year after year then the population wouldn't be able to come back the way you think. If they're not there to breed then you don't have to worry about them.

some of the studies they've done here in AZ shows that without predator control the deer and antelope population stays depressed and actually lowers because of poor fawn recruitment from excess predation. I believe the study you site would only work if people only hunted coyotes for only 1 year and then let then come back. If you hunt coyotes year after year then the population wouldn't be able to come back the way you think. If they're not there to breed then you don't have to worry about them.

In my area of WI we don't see wide spread coyote hunting like you might have. I think the study meant that you can kill the local breeders but an adjacent pack will move in and have pups like crazy. I really can't even remember where exactly that study was or when (useless info store in the back of my head) and I'm not suggesting it's truth but it made me go...Hmmm. I would tend to think if you could take out 20+ yearly in an immediate area you'll have a positive effect.

Has anyone stood outside the dens and blasted away as they stick close to the den in late March and early April? I was considering that on my farm this year where I could take multiple dogs out in one swing. If so, do mom and dad come out fighting because it will be a close range operation?

In my area of WI we don't see wide spread coyote hunting like you might have. I think the study meant that you can kill the local breeders but an adjacent pack will move in and have pups like crazy. I really can't even remember where exactly that study was or when (useless info store in the back of my head) and I'm not suggesting it's truth but it made me go...Hmmm. I would tend to think if you could take out 20+ yearly in an immediate area you'll have a positive effect.

yeah, I've seen the same study but take it with a grain of salt. Like you say it's different for different areas.

Has anyone stood outside the dens and blasted away as they stick close to the den in late March and early April? I was considering that on my farm this year where I could take multiple dogs out in one swing. If so, do mom and dad come out fighting because it will be a close range operation?
Coyotes arent this easy to kill.
1B117328-93A7-4720-9014-D04FA78D8060.jpg

I have two friends that killed 3 that way in spring turkey season. All three were pups- neither parent came around and one other pup got away. (They saw a pup go into the den and waited 20 yards away.) I figured they saved a bunch of deer and turkeys, and I would probably do the same if the opportunity was there because I have seen the worst a 'yote can do.

2 down this am, we are just putting on another set of three. We had another 3 a mile awAy, and only got one of them.
0B6CBCBB-F8A4-426E-9665-BEE699CD0256.jpg

One guy trapping will do nothing to the population.

If that is his only job year round checking a trap line daily? I disagree. At the end of the day he is killing tons of coyotes all the time. I won't complain.

If that is his only job year round checking a trap line daily? I disagree. At the end of the day he is killing tons of coyotes all the time. I won't complain.
Hey is that property owned by the new world order, they have such a servant running a trap line;)
I have more fun killing yotes than deer hunting so killing infant pups is a little inhumane ;) but there really isn't anything wrong with any dead yote