Poacher of 218” WI buck convicted

Yeah not many people are sighting in the last 10 minutes of daylight in October.
There is a guy that owns the property next to a friends place that my dad and I hunt. He will shoot every Saturday morning from about 7 am until after we leave at 10 am and then again all evening from 5 pm until dark. It gets really annoying. It's strange too, he'll shoot once every 5 minutes or so for hours. I thought maybe it's a muzzleloader but I have no idea.

How poachers leave them on my place. Bullet holes during archery season with no heads. Don't even cut the backstraps out of them.

Screenshot_20230829_101759_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230829_101740_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230829_101733_Gallery.jpg

Wisconsin native here. Plan to die here too.

It sure pains me to see some of the comments above. I can tell you this, me and the people I associate with aren’t like that by a long shot. We hunt all over the state and several of us hunt all over the country every year. We turn in poachers / law-breakers and model it for our youngsters.

Having said that, I’ll also admit I’m only one generation removed from the widely practiced custom of gathering “camp meat” to supplement meager groceries during the rifle season. I’m not saying everyone did it, and I’m not saying it’s any sort of genesis or justification for illegal behavior, just that it happened in the Midwest (including MN 😂) pretty regularly, and wasn’t really seen as “poaching”. Back then, the Northwoods was much more “Wild West” than many people realize….and this also isn’t a justification. It just was.

Today, nobody can deny that we’ve made big bucks into big $. Once money or fame is involved, I’m pretty sure your home state has little to do with it. There are just certain people who can’t resist that pull.

As a kid who was born and raised in WI but has lived in MN the last 10 years, I feel qualified to speak about disparities across the border.

Due to the proximity and population levels, when I used to bird hunt out west you'd see tons of MN plates and a much lesser extent of WI plates. This ranged from SD up to Saskatchewan. Plenty of slob hunters from both states but the sheer volume of blue plates gave them a bad name nearly everywhere. Once had a farmer in SD tell us this, "Why can't you get a decent blowjob in the twin cities?" Us, "why?" He replied, "because all the c*cksuckers are hunting here"

Enough said.

Anyways, more on topic, about 10 miles from me I believe it was a world record 8 pointer was poached in MN some years ago. Real similar story to the OP, guy double bagged bucks that morning, ran his mouth showing it off and the neighbors called in the extra shots (or something along those lines).

Now that buck is on the MNDNR "wall of shame" traveling trailer that they parade around the state at different venues.

As a kid who was born and raised in WI but has lived in MN the last 10 years, I feel qualified to speak about disparities across the border.

Due to the proximity and population levels, when I used to bird hunt out west you'd see tons of MN plates and a much lesser extent of WI plates. This ranged from SD up to Saskatchewan. Plenty of slob hunters from both states but the sheer volume of blue plates gave them a bad name nearly everywhere. Once had a farmer in SD tell us this, "Why can't you get a decent blowjob in the twin cities?" Us, "why?" He replied, "because all the c*cksuckers are hunting here"

Enough said.

I lived in MN until college when i moved a few hundred yards across the river into ND and then maintained residency there for a handful of years after college.. It didn't take long as a ND waterfowl freak to start having negative feelings towards "blue platers" even though i was one most of my life. Think i'm just starting to get over that finally.

I lived in MN until college when i moved a few hundred yards across the river into ND and then maintained residency there for a handful of years after college.. It didn't take long as a ND waterfowl freak to start having negative feelings towards "blue platers" even though i was one most of my life. Think i'm just starting to get over that finally.
I have pheasant tags on my truck for that reason, I'm not pulling up to ask permission on land in the Dakotas with blue plates, no way, no how.

Anyways, more on topic, about 10 miles from me I believe it was a world record 8 pointer was poached in MN some years ago. Real similar story to the OP, guy double bagged bucks that morning, ran his mouth showing it off and the neighbors called in the extra shots (or something along those lines).

Now that buck is on the MNDNR "wall of shame" traveling trailer that they parade around the state at different venues.

Part of the problem with poaching in Wisconsin are the small consequences when caught. In this case his plea deal was 3 years of hunting privileges being revoked. In the MN. case the violator must pay $1500 in restitution and $500 in court costs along with a five year loss in licenses, he also did jail time because he was on probation. I'm not naive enough to think heavier fines will stop poaching but the violators need to pay up when they're caught.

Part of the problem with poaching in Wisconsin are the small consequences when caught. In this case his plea deal was 3 years of hunting privileges being revoked. In the MN. case the violator must pay $1500 in restitution and $500 in court costs along with a five year loss in licenses, he also did jail time because he was on probation. I'm not naive enough to think heavier fines will stop poaching but the violators need to pay up when they're caught.

Yeah, the penalties are light. The only ones that really amount to anything are weapon or vehicle seizure when that happens.

I’ve often wondered if you could ever win a civil suit against someone who poached a deer on your land. I’m sure you could talley up the expense you’ve incurred trying to grow, attract and hold a big deer, not to mention the cost of the land specifically for that reason (really make it hurt) and sue someone for lost opportunity.

Doubtful since you don’t own the deer. Frustrating for sure…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubtful since you don’t own the deer. Frustrating for sure…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually think you could. Granted you can sue anyone for anything but if you could establish a history and pattern with a particular deer and show that said deer was shot off your land through a criminal prosecution, I bet you could win. Or if nothing else you could put a hurting on someone financially by making them go through hell defending themselves. Sure it would cost you too but that is some satisfying money to spend! I’m sure I’ve spent dumber money.

I’ve often wondered if you could ever win a civil suit against someone who poached a deer on your land. I’m sure you could talley up the expense you’ve incurred trying to grow, attract and hold a big deer, not to mention the cost of the land specifically for that reason (really make it hurt) and sue someone for lost opportunity.

Post that your land leases for $1,000 per day hunting. If caught poaching it is proof that they were "hunting" and will owe you the amount posted per day that is proven they used your land. Since it's the given rate of your business they are required to pay or be penalized via the courts. I was told this is legal and works while in a conservation group I was part of. Never tried it or actually seen it done.

I think some states and provinces have added big increases in fines for poaching trophy class animals based on antler scores. I’m not against it.

"Kansas statues outline harsh punishments for wildlife violations. Kansas addresses the “unlawful intentional taking of a trophy big game animal” with a minimum fine of $5,000. The state defines a trophy mule deer as having an inside spread of 20 inches or more, and a trophy whitetail as one with a spread of 16 inches or more.

Kansas also outlines equations for calculating restitution fees based on the exact antler score, which gets paid back into a wildlife fee fund. For example, the restitution value of a deer measuring exactly 173 inches would result in a fine of $10,658."