Poacher of 218” WI buck convicted

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +

I’m pretty sure sturgis used to live in and hunt this same small town?

I hear more gunshots when I'm in tree during bow season vs gun season. Not saying they are all taking deer with rifles, but no registration and most locals process their own..... Didn't used to be this way.

Wow. That dude had no issues violating all the laws...lol. I'm sure the 3 years without a license will stop him from hunting..

Sturgis has a lease in Coon Valley, I believe.

Hell of a deer, that's a good area.

I hear more gunshots when I'm in tree during bow season vs gun season.
Lots of that here in Pa. too. 1 or 2 shots are just at targets / sighting in rifles??

Such a shame. I think of all the neighbors who had it on camera who were dreaming of even seeing it in person.

I hear shots all the time when I’m hunting . Annoying, but I rarely think— must be poaching?

Interesting story! Really too bad, I can’t understand why he just wouldn’t try to hunt it with his crossbow ?

I can’t understand why he just wouldn’t try to hunt it with his crossbow ?
I know poaching happened long before the big buck craze, but I would imagine all of these things play a part in somebody making a decision to do something like this;
Bragging rights
Competition/dislike for neighbors
Outdoor Channel mindset
Big buck contests
Trail cameras
Refusal to put in the work to harvest legally

This guys rap sheet is long based on the article, could be any number of other reasons.

In all reality it isn't much different than those jokers who stuffed walleyes with lead weights to win those tournaments. All in an effort to seem better/more successful than they are.

I hear more gunshots when I'm in tree during bow season vs gun season. Not saying they are all taking deer with rifles, but no registration and most locals process their own..... Didn't used to be this way.

Same here and I am sure it isn’t all people sighting in their rifles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my grandpa was young they poached deer because they needed the food.

Same here and I am sure it isn’t all people sighting in their rifles
Several years ago in archery season here - on a Saturday no less - our camp heard a couple shots from right down over the side of our mountain, apparently from the road going up our mountain. A few of us drove right down to the road and looked for any evidence of blood, hair, a drag mark, etc. We found nothing. After a couple hours, one of our guys went down off the mountain for supplies. He came roaring back to the cabin within minutes, saying he found a drag mark. We went down and sure enough, in an area we hadn't looked earlier, there was blood all over and a fresh drag mark down to the road from our steep mountainside. The poachers shot, dropped the deer, and drove off in a hurry - only to come back hours later to collect their "trophy." We suspect they killed a nice 8 pt. we'd been seeing on that side for several weeks. All the camps near ours - and ours - had open gates and hunters at them. (Good chance of being caught). NO MATTER .......... the "big trophy hunters" shot anyway. Archery season here in Pa. is PRIME TIME for poaching by the slime-y's.

I hear a lot of shooting all spring/summer/fall when at my place. I'm sure there are a few folks that don't follow the rules. I hope most are just shooting at a coyote or making a one off shot at something for shits and giggles. Kind of comes with the territory in moderately populated rural areas. People shoot guns.

The dipshit in this story obviously got himself by making up a stupid story when he went showing off his buck. Otherwise how is a warden going to prove a deer shot once with a rifle wasn't xbow killed after everything is processed and disposed of?

If I wanted every possible fine out there...I would have done exactly what that guy did.

It all comes down to officers willing to look into the initial tip and taking it seriously.

A few years ago my brother bought a separate piece of the farm I just bought in MO. He was getting daylight photos of a 205" buck nearly every day. He was waiting for the right conditions to hunt it. The first weekend of firearm season, two different neighbors made a call to the hotline about shots at 4 am from the road. Conservation never came out. Supposedly some guy who apparently had permission to hunt a neighbors piece had killed him later that morning, but no one heard any shots at the time and the guy didn't even call anyone to help with photos/recovery. Turns out, the guy already had one mount in the local conservation office for poaching.

Last edited:
Nearly every big poaching case we have here in Kansas involves hunters from Wisconsin it seems. Crazy correlation. I’m not saying anything negative about Wisconsin hunters by any means, but there must be some pocket of bad hunting culture there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly every big poaching case we have here in Kansas involves hunters from Wisconsin it seems. Crazy correlation. I’m not saying anything negative about Wisconsin hunters by any means, but there must be some pocket of bad hunting culture there somewhere.

As a native minnesotan it's hard to pass up an opportunity to take jabs at cheeseheads.. It's easy to stereotype lots of folks but yet there are bad poaching issues in every state. As long as we're stereotyping though, I present "da turdy point buck" song as a historical reference on WI deer hunting culture that still fills the radio airwaves across the midwest every november.

Kind of comes with the territory in moderately populated rural areas. People shoot guns.
This is fact - at least in the rural south. I once had a neighbor call me on the phone - said “are you ok? I havent heard you shoot in three days?”

Wow. That dude had no issues violating all the laws...lol. I'm sure the 3 years without a license will stop him from hunting..

Sturgis has a lease in Coon Valley, I believe.
He did what he did. DO you honestly think not have a license will stop him from hunting.

153EBA8D-4A33-4EFD-9313-3A2E33B11472.jpegB040BCD7-E11A-47E4-8E7B-116FE121E66D.jpeg
Long story but found these two in my neighbors bean field in June. Called warden, no answer, text him and his response was “dang”. I’ll volunteer to do his job for half his salary. Doesn’t seem too hard…