What are your basic needs at hunting camp - Plumbing? Electricity? Heat/Air? Internet?

35-acre

5 year old buck +
What utility is the most important for you?
It turns out Cell connection is the most important thing for me. Here's how I added it to my camp.

My property and my cabin are very remote/rustic. By that I mean:
No electricity
No plumbing (I have an outhouse, shower house and spring water).
It's in a very remote location and I can barely get cell signal (certain times of year with certain weather conditions).

I do have some amenities, that are more basic.
For heat: I have a wood burning stove and a kerosene furnace
For cooking: I have propane stove
For lights: I have propane lights (and motion sensor battery lights outside and flashlights, etc.)

I spend a lot of time there during the hunting season. I use most of my vacation days to go there (I don't work a Friday from October 1 through the end of the year plus I have a bunch of other days off in there). I hunt alone. My dad used to hunt until he got too old to do so. Sometimes he comes with me but not that often. After daylight savings kicks in, you're back in camp by 5:30 and in for the night. You can only read for so long. The one thing that I've determined that I miss the most is cell/internet.

But I solved that! I figured that I would pass on what I put together and maybe it would be useful for someone else in my situation. The links and prices are at the bottom of this post.

I bought a cell antenna booster kit. It's made for RVs and cars. It was rather pricey but I got it from Amazon and I had until January to return it if it didn't work so the risk there was limited. The kit comes with 2 antennas. One antenna goes outside for receiving cell signal from the tower (it's the size of a beer can). The other antenna hooks up to the cell booster inside the cabin (which is the size of a paperback book). The booster then broadcasts cell signal to a very small range inside (only a few feet from the device to avoid interfering with the outside antenna). It sets up something like this below pic (everything here came with the booster including a few other parts that allow you to set this up in you car):

1636553899767.png

As you can see you need some type of power supply to plug it in. Before I get into that, let me explain a little on how this thing works. The outside antenna is omni-directional (meaning that you don't have to point it) and it gets powered over the cable that is provided to increase it's "listening" capabilities. So where your cell phone might get 1 bar, this will increase the capabilities of reception to maybe get 4 or 5 bars; which is what happened for me. It pretty much works the same way as your OnStar or other cell equivalent in your vehicle. It uses a stronger power source like your vehicle battery thus increasing the reception. The trick to this system is that both antennas have to be as far away form each other as possible. That's because the one outside is listening for the same signal (ex. 4G LTE) that the one inside is sending out (ex. also 4G LTE). If they were too close to each other, they could talk to each other it would just create a loop.

The power source that I use, I've had for years. It's a portable jump starter but it has USB ports, AC and DC power ports, jumper cables, light, air compressor, etc. I charge this thing up at home and I only turn on the ports that I need when I need them while at my hunting camp. Meaning to re-charge my cell phone or to run the antenna (or both). I don't leave it on all the time but I used it for many hours this past weekend and the battery dipped to about 55%. it's charged up again and ready to go this weekend.

1636554901305.png

Putting these two things together, this setup gave me 4-5 bars inside the cabin. I'm able to call home from inside (instead of driving to town where I can get signal), I can text and I can stream data (music or video). It was a first for me last weekend! I made dinner and watched/listened to evening news and later that night I watched sports and I might have even streamed a youtube hunting video. It made the time go by a little faster and felt less lonely (and I have a dog with me - but he doesn't talk back much).

RV Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit for Recreational Vehicles & Motorhomes, All Carriers 3G/4G LTE ($400)

Schumacher Rechargeable AGM Jump Starter and Portable USB/DC Power Station– 1200 Amp ($100)

Last edited:
I went from a slide-in 1970 truck camper with nothing but 12V lights and an ice box to a small house. The house is a little rough inside, plywood floors, and old furniture but it has beds, hot and cold water, a shower, kitchen, satelite TV, washer/dryer. We use an EdenPure heater and window A/C.

We had a lot of fun in that old truck camper, but I won't go back!

I started off in about the same thing. It was a woods, no electricity for a mile and a half down the road. No water, very little cell service. I had a driveway put in, and we tented the first year, then bought an old camper, we used that for 15 years. Then one of the land owners on the same road wanted electricity and he got a few others to pitch in. Electricity was a great addition, and then we decided to build here, and we drilled a well, and added a septic, now we live here. We love it! I think electricity is what made it all happen. Before electricity we were always working around not having electricity, using car batteries and a converter, a noisy generator, using gas lights, heaters without fans. We also added a cell booster, and it made time go easier, and I was able to work from here. But electricity made it easy to run the cell booster, charge cell phones, watch tv, movies, charge laptops, etc..

What I am saying electricity is what made my life much easier here.

Last edited:
I've got a recent thread here on my cabin -- I was able to piece together all of these with no outside services. They wouldn't allow me to put in septic where my cabin is if I wanted it so there was no reason to look into that. Bringing in electric would have made enemies of my neighbors due to impact on their properties so I went solar. Yes, cell booster was a must. AT&T has been having issues in the area so I was frustrated that once hunting season hit suddenly even the booster wasn't sufficient, hopefully they get it fixed.

The only hunting camps I’ve ever been a member of or stayed at are duck hunting camps.

Things I gotta have;
Cable TV
Decent cooking
Decent bathroom
Like minded members that are fun to be around

I can sleep on a couch or in a chair in the cold if I have those.

My first place was an old run down rodent infested cabin with electrical,running water, shower, and toilet. I originally thought I needed those things. The thing I need most is a rodent free cabin and shower system. Iam using an off grid boss shower with a 5 gallon buck. Then the basics electricity, heat , water. I am using solar. I am enjoying the off grid approach with solar and bringing in my water. I don’t have to worry about winterizing my place or a water leak,and the solar setup cost me about a years worth of service fees.

My first place was an old run down rodent infested cabin with electrical,running water, shower, and toilet. I originally thought I needed those things. The thing I need most is a rodent free cabin and shower system. Iam using an off grid boss shower with a 5 gallon buck. Then the basics electricity, heat , water. I am using solar. I am enjoying the off grid approach with solar and bringing in my water. I don’t have to worry about winterizing my place or a water leak,and the solar setup cost me about a years worth of service fees.
I agree wholeheartedly. I got rid of the mice with combat (over the summer) and packing any gaps/openings with steel wool. Now i have sleep full nights.

I added a shower house (by modifying a school bus house/the thing kids sit in at the end of the driveway). I have a 4 d- cell pump inside and some pex that runs from inside out to a 5 gallon bucket mounted high on the shower house. I can pump hot water out there as needed. I.bring my own drinking water but I do have spring water for showering.

I had to work backwards to find out what I needed. Here's what I didn't need to survive a week at the cabin:

Running water
Grid power
Toilet
Oven
Toaster
Microwave
A/C
Welder
Curling iron
Satellite or cable tv

What i do have:

Propane heat/griddle/fridge/freezer
Ceiling fan
LED lights
Outhouse
Firepit
Charcoal grill
Solar power (all 12 volt, 12 volt outlets, small inverters at the tv and dvd player)
Antenna TV
DVD player
Brand new cabin
Insulated attached garage
2 beds, 2 couches
Laminate floor (no need for vacuum)

wood stove and Bush Light. If you drink your meals there isn't much need for going #2

I generally wake up well before dawn and go to sleep shortly after dark.

We need it all. This year, there will be folks there from four weeks old to 66 years old. It might be 80 degrees and it might be 25 degrees. Two of the regulars are radiologists who read film on their computers - good internet a must. Heat, air, hot and cold water, refrigerators and freezers, wifi, big screen tv’s, washer and dryer. Deer camp is nicer than my house.

I've got a recent thread here on my cabin -- I was able to piece together all of these with no outside services. They wouldn't allow me to put in septic where my cabin is if I wanted it so there was no reason to look into that. Bringing in electric would have made enemies of my neighbors due to impact on their properties so I went solar. Yes, cell booster was a must. AT&T has been having issues in the area so I was frustrated that once hunting season hit suddenly even the booster wasn't sufficient, hopefully they get it fixed.
I had the same issue with verizon in my area. Its seemed as though the tower was down. The next weekend everything was back to normal.

We need it all. This year, there will be folks there from four weeks old to 66 years old. It might be 80 degrees and it might be 25 degrees. Two of the regulars are radiologists who read film on their computers - good internet a must. Heat, air, hot and cold water, refrigerators and freezers, wifi, big screen tv’s, washer and dryer. Deer camp is nicer than my house.

My deer camp became my house. Best decision we ever made.

We went from staying in a 1968 GMC school bus for 12 years with electric and a big buddy propane heater. It worked but was definitely roughing it. Now we have a 40x 50 barn with a 16x 40 cabin inside. I would say electric is the # 1 on my list. It opened the door to so many things that make projects easier on the land. Second would be running water/hot shower.

Stated out roughing it sleeping in my truck. Dressing in the morning in snow and sub-zero temps was an interesting experience. Went to a ice shanty size one room place with at least an outhouse. Learned that there are certain basics that help extend your hunting and enjoyment. We now have a complete deer camp with all the amenities but the basic gotta haves are ...
- Warm inside toilet (no spiders or bats)
- Hot shower
- Wood stove...watching a fire after hunting all day is the best

You can get by with simple bedding & a propane stove but above really make a difference.

Well, i'm still staying in my truck. But let me tell ya, going from grass to a gravel driveway felt like a million bucks! Bought the property in 2020 and finally have my concrete foundation poured and the garage will be going up this winter, so it'll be nice to stay in that next season. Cell service is top priority for me and its nice that i have good signal just in case something goes wrong (3.5 hours from home). I guess i dont mind taking a deuce outside but it would be nice to shower once and a while haha. Anyways, cabin is still another 5 years out so just need to "rough" it a little more.

Last edited:
Well, i'm still staying in my truck. But let me tell ya, going from grass to a gravel driveway felt like a million bucks! Bought the property in 2020 and finally have my concrete foundation poured and the garage will be going up this winter, so it'll be nice to stay in that next season. Cell service is top priority for me and its nice that i have good signal just in case something goes wrong (3.5 hours from home). I guess i dont mind taking a deuce outside but it would be nice to shower once and a while haha. Anyways, cabin is still another 5 years out so just need to "rough" it a little more.

We use to go to the local truck stop and shower every 3rd day whether we needed it or not.

Gota haves, wife, kids, dog, chickens,

Yeah, we hunt where we live. Its ok, but going up north to real deer camp is better. Hunting at home is kinda lile taking a shower with your clothes on, you'll still get wet, but its just not the same!

I now live 30 minutes away from the farm. When I purchased 11 years ago, I was 2 hrs away. Electricity and water were a must. Followed by living quarters with most of the creature comforts of home. Thought about doing the wall tent thing originally but bit the bullet and did the pole barn/cabin and never looked back. It is truly home away from home with all amenities.

We went from staying in a 1968 GMC school bus for 12 years with electric and a big buddy propane heater. It worked but was definitely roughing it. Now we have a 40x 50 barn with a 16x 40 cabin inside. I would say electric is the # 1 on my list. It opened the door to so many things that make projects easier on the land. Second would be running water/hot shower.
So I have a "shower house" that I added. Its the size of an outhouse. I have a 5 gallon bucket on the back of it with a hose connector screwed into the bottom which runs into the shower house. I have a hose nozzle on the inside to control the flow.

When I'm ready to shower, i pump warm water from inside on the stove out to the 5 gallon bucket through a 20 foot pex line that hangs on a cable. The pump runs on 4 d batteries and pumps the water up 2 feet and then out to the bucket. Its great to take a nice shower after a day in the woods. Of course you have to strategically use the water but it is a nice way to end the day.