Kip: Top 5 Factors Causing Deer Population Declines

SD51555

5 year old buck +
From our social betters...

If you ever needed convincing there is an incestuous relationship between the fox and the hens, here's a line-toting piece if I've ever seen one.

Top-5 Factors Causing Deer Population Declines
deer_harvest_decline_qdma_574_299_s.jpg

Hunters throughout the whitetail’s range are complaining of declining deer populations. Not all hunters, of course, but enough to draw newspaper headlines, DNR deer management plan audits, and legislation aimed at growing deer herds. Are these declines real, and if so, what are the driving factors?

We can look at current antlered buck harvests and compare them to buck harvests a decade ago to monitor the presence and degree of changes in herd size. Changes in buck harvest can be a good index to changes in the actual herd size, and they are a great index to hunters’ perceptions of the actual herd size. A state-by-state analysis would be much longer than this article allows, so I’ll assess it on a regional basis and divide the U.S. into the Midwest, Northeast and Southeast regions. (You can review the state-by-state information in our 2015 Whitetail Report).

The 2013-14 deer season is the most recent data available for use in comparing all states, so I’ll use data from that season and compare it to 10 years prior in the 2003-04 season. Deer populations were at all-time highs in many states a decade ago, so this analysis can compare current hunting opportunities with those often considered “the good ole days.”

Antlered Buck Harvest by Region

The Southeast shot nearly identical numbers of bucks in 2003 and 2013. The difference was only 17,794 bucks (1 percent). The Northeast also shot nearly identical numbers in 2003 and 2013 with a difference of only 18,011 bucks (3 percent). Amazingly, these regions shot nearly equal numbers of bucks, but the age structure was vastly improved in 2013.

In 2003, yearling bucks constituted nearly 50 percent of all bucks harvested, and bucks 3½ years and older only accounted for just over 20 percent. However, by 2013 those numbers were nearly equal at 36 and 34 percent, respectively! Think about that for a minute. These two regions are shooting approximately the same number of bucks today as in 2003 but are shooting many more that are 2½, 3½, 4½ and 5½ years old. Wow, that sounds pretty good to me.

The Midwest however is a very different story, as the buck harvest declined by more than 125,000 bucks from 2003 to 2013. It was the first time since at least 2009 the buck harvest in this region dropped below 1 million bucks.

I believe there are five main reasons for the declines experienced in several Midwestern states.

1 – Hemorrhagic Disease

We had a record hemorrhagic disease (HD) outbreak in 2007 and another in 2012. The Midwest lost tens of thousands of deer to HD and many states haven’t fully recovered from it.

2 – Severe Winter Weather

We experienced severe winter weather during the past few years. Severe winters in the Upper Midwest can increase adult mortality, reduce fawn survival, and impact antler growth the following year as bucks have to recover the additional weight lost during the severe winter. This leaves less nutrition for antler growth.

3 – Intentional Herd Reduction

Several states were intentionally reducing their deer herds over the past decade. Many states were aggressively harvesting antlerless deer, and when you reduce the herd the buck harvest declines. In the Midwest today, only one state wildlife agency (Indiana) says it is trying to reduce the deer herd, the others are either trying to stabilize or grow their herds.

4 – Falling Fawn Recruitment

Eight states in the Midwest measure fawn recruitment rates today. In my opinion, every state should be monitoring this important statistic. Back in 2005 only five of the eight states measured fawn survival, and it has dropped in all five from 2005 to 2014. You can blame it on predators, nutrition, climate change, or whatever you’d like, but the reality is far fewer fawns are surviving today than they did a decade ago. Approximately every other fawn born is a buck fawn, so fewer fawns means fewer bucks are recruited into the herd.

5 – Habitat Loss

The last reason is arguably the most important in this list, and it is habitat loss. From 2007 to 2014 the U.S. enrolled 9.1 million fewer acres into the USDA’s Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). See the table in the Gallery below for state-by-state losses. The CRP is the most successful federal wildlife habitat program, and it pays landowners a fee to convert highly erodible cropland and environmentally sensitive acreage to wildlife habitat. It can include grasses, trees, windbreaks, shelterbelts, buffer strips and more. In most cases, CRP acres provide exceptional wildlife habitat, and this is especially true in the intensively row-cropped Midwest where cover was already the limiting habitat component. As a whole, the United States lost over 25 percent of its CRP acreage from 2007 to 2014 as the land was put back into agricultural production, largely as a result of record high corn and soybean prices, and the Midwest alone lost over 5 million acres of CRP! North Dakota lost over 1.5 million acres, and Kansas lost over 700,000 acres. The table shows how each state fared, but every state in the Midwest lost acreage.

The Northeast lost 17 percent of its CRP and the Southeast lost 20 percent. However, cover is not as critical a limiting factor in these regions as it is the Midwest, so the impact on deer populations is less noticeable.

What Does All This Mean for Hunters?

Overall things are pretty good for hunters in the Northeast and Southeast. This doesn’t mean all hunters in these regions are having their best years of all time. Rather it means as a whole the regions are doing well. State wildlife agencies collect data at the wildlife management unit level while we hunt at the property level. There can be a big difference between those, so we shouldn’t assume all other hunters’ experiences are similar to ours.

While things may be good in the Northeast and Southeast, it’s a very different story in much of the Midwest. I say “much of” because some states like Kansas have more deer today than a decade ago and others like Kentucky are shooting a lot more bucks today than a decade ago. However, most Midwestern states are dealing with changes in their deer herds and habitats, and this results in disgruntled hunters. Deer management is in a very different place today than a decade ago. As deer herd size has changed, so have harvest goals, and many hunters are frustrated by this. Unlike short-term impacts of HD and severe winter, major habitat loss in the Midwest will plague deer herds for years to come.

Does any other advocacy group write about their constituents like that? NRA, unions, American Heart Association?

Brooks johnson <basecampbrooks@gmail.com>
Jun 20 (7 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Kip,

MN lost 416,000 acres CRP in 10 years.

That is 650 square miles.

We kill appx 1.3 bucks per square mile statewide.

So the CRP losses equate to about 845 bucks per year.

That equates to about a 0.7% reduction in buck harvest. We are off 42% from the peak buck harvest.

Don't see the losses off CRP as that big of a factor in the overall picture?
cleardot.gif

Brooks

Kip Adams <KAdams@qdma.com>

Jun 22 (5 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Brooks,

The only part of MN where cover is a limiting factor would be SW MN so that’s the only region in your state where I’d expect the loss of CRP to be a big factor.

So whats kips point regarding the rest of MN?

Talk about a non answer, answer.

The problem I see is the DNR lacking the ability of knowing when to stop the intentional deer herd reduction when all other factors of deer herd reduction are compounding themselves year in and year out. Like wolves, Bad winters etc...

Which goes back to...is the MN DNR lacking ability or did they go too far with the reductions on purpose (ignorance or malfeasance)?

you tell me and we will both know!

I'm hoping the audit will be able to provide some kind of answer. I'm sure any such possible answers will be "politically correct"....but at least some kind of answer. The WI audit did include what the auditors felt were WI DNR "shortcomings"...sure like to see that in print about the MN DNR's deer management program.

This ain't Wisconsin partner!

No one will own up to anything.

In Minnesota (rule changes) would be #1 on my list. We had pretty good hunting until we expanded our gun seasons X 3.

Buck and doe harvest has dropped steadily since.

In Minnesota (rule changes) would be #1 on my list. We had pretty good hunting until we expanded our gun seasons X 3.

I agree with this, my only real problem with deer season in MN, is too much pressure. With over the counter tags along with the ability to buy a tag for multiple seasons really puts too much pressure on our deer. At least IMO.

I still believe that every game species goes through cycles, rabbits go high followed by fox. Deer numbers went nuts followed by an explosion in coyotes and timber wolves. At least from what I am seeing coyote and wolves are down and I am seeing lots of deer and fawns this year. Fox numbers are also high right now.

To say that habitat is not a large factor is completely ignorant. We do not hold the same capacity to grow deer numbers that we had 10 years ago.

Harvest has been dropping in all areas including the areas that have always been 9 days. I think the expanded season had a very small effect. Deer numbers rose steadily during the 2000's in the old zone 2 with a 9 day seasons.

I think decline is about 70% overharvest, 15% severe winters, 10% expanded wolf pop/range, 5% other.

To say that habitat is not a large factor is completely ignorant. We do not hold the same capacity to grow deer numbers that we had 10 years ago.

We manage areas capable of supporting 80 deer per square mile for 13. Habitat may not be as great, but it is not the factor suppressing numbers.

My state openly claims they are trying to reduce the herd! We had 2 years back-to-back of EHD that hit 2 different parts of the state. The DNR has no real clue as to how many deer are out there. They don't estimate the herd population and all they count is the number of deer/car accidents and the crop damage reports and the harvest numbers. Talk about a totally reactive management and the crop damage and car accident data comes from INSURANCE companies - and you know you can trust them!

I'm not saying our numbers didn't need to come down, BUT - without data they are simply guessing - and doing a piss-poor job of it at the moment. All we get is "kill more deer" - NOBODY has published anything saying what the goal is. That is because to publish a goal you have to have a way to monitor it's progress and they haven't been able to do that at this point.

Sorry - I realize this doesn't have much to do with most of you MO, WI and MN guys, but I think the EHD had a far bigger impact on us than the winters. It boils down to piss-poor management, but nobody is going to publish that statement.

Harvest has been dropping in all areas including the areas that have always been 9 days. I think the expanded season had a very small effect. Deer numbers rose steadily during the 2000's in the old zone 2 with a 9 day seasons.

I think decline is about 70% overharvest, 15% severe winters, 10% expanded wolf pop/range, 5% other.

9 day season + 16 day muzzleloader has had major impact in my area.

I can't emphasize (major) enough!!

Believe me I'm paying attention, data/trail cam pics/harvest numbers. I've got it all.

9 day season + 16 day muzzleloader has had major impact in my area.

I can't emphasize (major) enough!!

Believe me I'm paying attention, data/trail cam pics/harvest numbers. I've got it all.
I drove through your country a few weeks ago and can see what you mean with longer seasons and the open habitat.

I have quite a bit of open habitat but about the same season length as in the past. Differences are rifle zone and too d... many doe permits. Not enough deer left in many years to even worry about mzzle or late bow seasons. Very few people hunt them.

I opposed the addition of high powered rifles in my state because of the fear of it increasing our ability to harvest deer.

We currently have a 16 day general firearms season followed by a 16 day smokepole season. I heard they pulled the plug on that proposal......for now.

^^^Driving south of 94 from Sauk Centre to west of Glenwood/Alex...I just don't see how there are more deer there than here. I couldn't live down there...
I also need to live where there is some woods.

1) intentional harvest of too many does.
2) too many predators
3) loss of habitat by lack of young woods, not loss of crp
4) failure of hunters to manage themselves. We can't always blame the dnr
5) winter

5. is a weak argument in my opinion.

6. Wolves, limited bear permits, coyotes unchecked.

7. Extended seasons 14 day rifle season followed up by a week long smoke pole season. But the michigan DNR doesn't allow crossbows in the late season because it would be too easy to shoot deer in herding areas. It's still one of the funniest things I have ever read. So 21 days of hunting with high powered "rifles" is ok. But if a person hunts with a crossbow it's not ok.

Michigan DNR sometimes makes me chuckle.

1) intentional harvest of too many does.
2) too many predators
3) loss of habitat by lack of young woods, not loss of crp
4) failure of hunters to manage themselves. We can't always blame the dnr
5) winter

I keep thinking we need to do something about number 4. We need better educated hunters with a real concern for our deer population.

Until the DNR starts to manage better, that is going to be a long row to hoe....

There is going to be the subset of hunters that will not listen to anything told to them, and many wont ever receive a message of training.
Case in point.
This week I had a few friends over for beers on the deck. Deer hunting came up and one guy said that too many people have the trophy buck desire. He tried to use the analogy that you would never be out shooting your prize bull in your cattle herd. I tried to reason with him that his analogy may be slightly true if you were managing for trophy deer. Shooting the prize deer carrying great genes is not todays problem. We dont have deer in areas that should have deer.
Then he spun off saying that shooting bucks only is just dumb because then you have tons of does out in the wild not even getting bred.
He firmly believes shooting does is the right thing to do in down population years instead of shooting all the bucks..... God.... Some people just are not trainable.....

The other problem,,,,,,,
Way too many weekend warriors that do not spend 1 minute of their off season thinking about deer hunting. They show up at camp, ask who has the rifle they get to use this year and what stand he gets to sit in.
The only way to keep those hunters in check is for the DNR to limit the hunt for them.

Education is good, but it will not be a major factor in fixing problems long term.

Last edited: